• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1st Class Priv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but if you’re travelling on a 1st class Priv/box/silver ir gold pass you’re not allowed to take it. Worth losing your travel or even job over a 99p bag of cookies?

I don’t think anybody is going to get sacked for not combing through various restrictions buried in a T&Cs document, especially when they’re almost never enforced.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndrewE

Established Member
I don’t think anybody is going to get sacked for not combing through various restrictions buried in a T&Cs document, especially when they’re almost never enforced.
There is a simple paragraph here: https://www.raildeliverygroup.com/files/Publications/services/rst/RST_Where_Can_I_Go_SG_v7.pdf which says on p 23
Complimentary Refreshments: Train operators have restrictions on the acceptance of complimentary refreshments by holders of rail staff travel facilities. As ticket inspection and refreshment service may be carried out by different on-board staff, those providing complimentary refreshments may not know that you are travelling using Rail Staff Travel facilities, so you must refuse refreshments when offered, unless the restrictions document specifically allows you to accept them.
The Restrictions are published on the RST website.
It's not difficult, and not worth losing concessions for.

High Dyke

Established Member
There is a simple paragraph here: https://www.raildeliverygroup.com/files/Publications/services/rst/RST_Where_Can_I_Go_SG_v7.pdf which says on p 23
Indeed. I get a bit paranoid about the attitude of some on-board staff, especially after a couple of incidents with staff during the East Midlands Trains era. The last one of note being that a correctly dated 1st Class travel box (as non-safeguarded staff we're allowed a couple of boxes on certain TOC's per year) was subject to complaint and thorough inspection by both on-board hosts and the guard. The host was quite forthright in their opinion about me travelling on a mid-morning weekday service from Nottingham - London. I had already asked the guard for permission to travel and showed him my dated travel pass. I only accepted the free tea/coffee/water, as stipulated in the T&C's, but it didn't stop the host trying to make a point to the guard...cue a further inspection of my ticket and a sympathetic guard who then politely pointed out to the host "he's got a correctly dated travel pass. Did you fail to check it correctly?" I tried my best to keep a straight face.

I haven't used 1st class on LNER yet so far. However the wife did use it late last year and said the voucher scheme was no problem for her and the colleagues she was travelling with from York - Edinburgh. I just find the wording on RSTL a little ambiguous. On LNER it states a voucher must be purchased "from the designated member of staff", but doesn't state who that person is. At least with Avanti (West Coast) it does say to purchase the voucher from the shop. Perhaps RSTL need to just clarify the wording slightly.

It is difficult when the rules are not enforced consistently.

On LNER it states a voucher must be purchased "from the designated member of staff", but doesn't state who that person is. At least with Avanti (West Coast) it does say to purchase the voucher from the shop. Perhaps RSTL need to just clarify the wording slightly.

On Friday when I first learned of this restriction and offered to pay the guard, wouldn’t/couldn’t sell it and neither could the staff member in the shop.

Today I am once again traveling in 1st, go to the shop to buy a voucher and once again the member of staff either couldn’t sell it or wasn’t bothered. I spoke to the guard and he told me not to worry about it and was fine with me having food.

It’s absolutely ridiculous really - that’s twice in 3 days I’ve tried to do the right thing (upon learning of this restriction, I don’t have a problem with it either), but it is so hit and miss it’s ridiculous.

Indeed. I get a bit paranoid about the attitude of some on-board staff, especially after a couple of incidents with staff during the East Midlands Trains era. The last one of note being that a correctly dated 1st Class travel box (as non-safeguarded staff we're allowed a couple of boxes on certain TOC's per year) was subject to complaint and thorough inspection by both on-board hosts and the guard. The host was quite forthright in their opinion about me travelling on a mid-morning weekday service from Nottingham - London. I had already asked the guard for permission to travel and showed him my dated travel pass. I only accepted the free tea/coffee/water, as stipulated in the T&C's, but it didn't stop the host trying to make a point to the guard...cue a further inspection of my ticket and a sympathetic guard who then politely pointed out to the host "he's got a correctly dated travel pass. Did you fail to check it correctly?" I tried my best to keep a straight face.

I haven't used 1st class on LNER yet so far. However the wife did use it late last year and said the voucher scheme was no problem for her and the colleagues she was travelling with from York - Edinburgh. I just find the wording on RSTL a little ambiguous. On LNER it states a voucher must be purchased "from the designated member of staff", but doesn't state who that person is. At least with Avanti (West Coast) it does say to purchase the voucher from the shop. Perhaps RSTL need to just clarify the wording slightly.
Would seem a lot more sensible for the Train Manager to be the source of vouchers. He has after all to check the tickets and make sure they are valid. A simple upgrade to their machine could easily be carried out. They after all do weekend upgrades as well as excess tickets so why not vouchers.

Seems to be asking a bit much forstaffto

Staff to walk from the first class on an 11 cars Pendolino or a 9 car Azuma to the shop. Especially when they get there the staff don't know what the staff are talking about. In fact it's probably bordering on harassment to their fellow colleagues.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Was there a thread about this?

I don't know. I heard it first through the grapevine, supported by someone I know with Virgin connections. It was a senior industry person who was dismissed because of repeated abuse of the meals restriction. Any further detail might make the individual concerned identifiable and even elaborating on the wider effects of the penalty would have the same result.

I have tried to draw the attention of others to the existence of restrictions for staff travelling free on this and (I think) another similarly named thread. I do not do this to be some sort of know-all, but for the following reasons;
-Some staff, e.g. TMs, may be irritated by abuse of the rules and be hard even on those of us who strictly follow the rules.
-Repeated abuse may result in the concession being withdrawn for everyone - particularly if senior staff read some of the comments here.
-Your pass is the equivalent of an anytime open single. Next time you travel longer distance, particularly if it's in the peak, have a look at the fare on NRES and then decide if, as well as saving the several hundred pounds you'll see there, you want in addition to scam £5 (incl VAT) by not paying for your meal, or purloining a tiny bag of pretzels

I also have some reservations about discussing the whole question of free travel in an open forum where other members pay full fare. In my own case I received the first class entitlement forty years ago, and in those days it was used as a bargaining tool in cost-of-living pay increases as well as being taxable, so it wasn't enrirely free.

I also point out that, when the concession to use first class lounges was introduced (which, I think, was when the name changed from 'Executive Lounge') there was the stipulation that entry was barred when the lounge was busy, and I ask about this if in doubt, but to be fair I have never been refused.

Albaman

Would seem a lot more sensible for the Train Manager to be the source of vouchers. He has after all to check the tickets and make sure they are valid. A simple upgrade to their machine could easily be carried out. They after all do weekend upgrades as well as excess tickets so why not vouchers.

Seems like an eminently sensible suggestion- perhaps someone should contact Avanti ( and LNER ) and see what they say.

Seems to be asking a bit much forstaffto

Seems to be an eminently sensible idea - I wonder if Avanti ( and LNER ) would take it up.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Seems to be an eminently sensible idea - I wonder if Avanti ( and LNER ) would take it up.

Travelling on Hull Trains a little while ago the TM checked my ticket and said 'You're not taking food' which initially I took as an instruction but was actually a question/invitation, and after a short conversation he sold me a food voucher from his machine. Same price as LNER/Avanti

Status
Not open for further replies.