• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1st Class Upgrade on a Split Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

furlong

Established Member
What if either or both of the split tickets are XC-only?

As worded, it seems to make no difference. Note also that definition (a) of Through Fare *requires* more than one operator, whereas the Upgrade here only covers one operator, so I think you end up with a broad interpretation where it's sufficient for an XC ONLY fare to exist for the portion of journey being upgraded and the splits may form a longer journey starting/ending with portions on other operators.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This byzantine and legally dubious unpublished policy isn't being followed by many Guards (perhaps just the one!)

A passenger I was travelling with today asked for Weekend 1st, and was sold a through Weekend 1st fare without quibble. He was using two tickets for the journey.

If the Train Manager had implemented a split, he would have saved the customer £5. :lol:

gray1404

Established Member
In the case of the OP, I would try to obtain the weekend first upgrade at the booking office before travel (and benefit from a seat reservation).

bnm

Established Member
Five pages of argument that was never going to reach consensus.

And no-one bothered to inform the OP that the split Weekend First price would be the same as the through price. :roll:

York - Birmingham WF £15.00

York - Derby WF £10.00
Derby - Birmingham WF £5.00

That information would have been of much greater use to the OP than the five pages of wibble. An argument which could have been had in its own thread.

kkong

In the case of the OP, I would try to obtain the weekend first upgrade at the booking office before travel (and benefit from a seat reservation).

I don't know about other TOCs, but at least on ScotRail, for the last several years it has only been possible to purchase Weekend First on board.

It was previously possible to buy at the ticket office.

Last night, I offered to buy on board but the conductor didn't seem interested; I suspect he didn't know how to access the supplement on his new mobile ticket issuing device (the conductor on an earlier ScotRail service that day took 3-4 minutes to find it in the menus).

najaB

Veteran Member
I don't know about other TOCs, but at least on ScotRail, for the last several years it has only been possible to purchase Weekend First on board.
It's definitely possible to purchase at the station on XC.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Five pages of argument that was never going to reach consensus.
We can't put a quota limit on how many pages there should be on a thread.
And no-one bothered to inform the OP that the split Weekend First price would be the same as the through price. :roll:
While this wasn't the question that was asked, but there was nothing to stop you posting this earlier, was there?
York - Birmingham WF £15.00

York - Derby WF £10.00
Derby - Birmingham WF £5.00

That information would have been of much greater use to the OP than the five pages of wibble. An argument which could have been had in its own thread.
This thread was - and remains - to ask if you can upgrade one journey with one ticket. I wish there was a way to get everyone to agree, but as you say, we will never reach consensus. Therefore, it is inevitable that it may generate several posts of discussion.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I don't know about other TOCs...
You can look at our Fares Guide and find out ;)

jrh2254

Used by 1st upgrade Burton to Reading yesterday costing £15 with splits at Leamington Spa and Banbury.
All purchased at the station with seat reservations all the way there and back.
No problems encountered on the trains.

bnm

Established Member
While this wasn't the question that was asked, but there was nothing to stop you posting this earlier, was there?

I posted a reply an hour or so after the thread was started. That post was not passed for publication. I am moderated remember. I came back to the thread to see if anyone had provided a useful reply to the OP.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Unfortunately there are many stations who refuse to do this, instead saying that they should be bought on the train.

They are probably confused as the rule differs between TOCs.

FWIW I can think of no point whatsoever to buying it in advance if it can be bought on the train, other than this situation with regard to what will be issued, and other than that VTWC will sometimes sell it online with a seat reservation.

kkong

You can look at our Fares Guide and find out ;)

I just have! I would be interested in the source which confirms that Weekend First can be purchased as a supplement to Advance tickets on ScotRail.

This is contrary to what I have been told by ScotRail.

Their website is (unhelpfully) not clear on the matter; it doesn't list Advance in either the allowed or disallowed ticket types.

It was certainly not possible in the previous franchise operated by First.

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/tickets/leisure?accordion=weekend-first

Edit: Your guide needs updating to state that Weekend First is also available between Aberdeen-Inverness and v.v. ;)

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes we're in the process of gearing up for a refresh of the guide (brought on by the NRCoT) so changes may appear at short notice and without warning (:lol:) but if you do spot anything feel free to report the issue (particularly if its a major error) and we'll have a look at getting it updated.

I had a bit of a look at Weekend First a few days ago and spotted that there were a few things that might need tweaking.

najaB

Veteran Member
I had a bit of a look at Weekend First a few days ago and spotted that there were a few things that might need tweaking.
Scotrail Twitter have said that it you definitely can't upgrade an Advance ticket: link.

Last edited:

kkong

Scotrail Twitter have said that it you definitely can't upgrade an Advance ticket: link.

Their tweet is still not quite correct... you can also upgrade with an Anytime ticket, not just Anytime Day!

But I agree that you can't upgrade with Advance.

All Line Rover

Established Member
FWIW I can think of no point whatsoever to buying it in advance if it can be bought on the train, other than this situation with regard to what will be issued, and other than that VTWC will sometimes sell it online with a seat reservation.

First class lounge access (albeit not relevant to XC).

infobleep

Veteran Member
Yes we're in the process of gearing up for a refresh of the guide (brought on by the NRCoT) so changes may appear at short notice and without warning ([emoji38]) but if you do spot anything feel free to report the issue (particularly if its a major error) and we'll have a look at getting it updated.

Will you be being the previous versions of the guide to the heritage and history section of the forums? Hehe.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.