• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1st train driver interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christeve

Is it unusual for the competency interview to come before the assessment. Six questions are mentioned. Are they always the same type

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ronix139

Congratulations :)

I have just had my application rejected so won't be joining you but I would also like to know this for the future!

jameshammond

Research the company, research the role and ask yourself why do you want to be a train driver? Why are you looking for a 'total career change' and why do you think you would be a good train driver?

The interview will be friendly and is the same set of questions for each candidate which you will be scored on

Christeve

I already work on the railway as a Possession Support but I only do weekend nights. I love it. Its completely different from my main job though. I want the railway to be my main/only job.

bonelorry

I sat one in January and was successful, Start my course on April 4th.

You will probably be asked the following, Don't quote me on some of these as its has been a few Months but it should give you an idea of what to expect...

: Tell us a bit about yourself?

: What do you know about Northern Rail? Bear in mind depending on when you have your interview if it is before April 1st it still be with Northern Rail and not Arriva but brushing up on your knowledge about the Franchise change on April 1st and Arriva wont hurt.

: What do you know about the role of Train Driver?

: Why you are applying for the role? DO NOT MENTION MONEY!

You will also be asked Scenario based questions such as...

: Tell us about a time when you have worked well under pressure?

: When you have had to explain something to someone with less mechanical knowledge than yourself, I.E put it in simple terms. How you did this?

: When you have had to work alone for long periods? How you dealt with fatigue?

: When you have to work to strict rules and regulations?

Possibly a few more which I have missed but basically have about 10 good Scenarios in your mind that can cover most questions! Use words like Safety, Working under pressure, Decision making, Following rules and regulations, Clear communication etc

Plenty of other info on this forum too!

Answer the scenario based questions using the STAR principle,

Situation - What was the problem, job you had to do, Situation you where in?
Task - What did you have to do to to resolve the problem?
Action - What you did?
Result - What was the outcome?

You might also be asked about your commitments to the course.

Usually takes about 1 Hour, Relax and be yourself. It is a friendly environment!

Last edited:

bonelorry

Why not mention money? may as well be honest, I did and got a job.

I gave advice based on my interview, Not to get into a discussion or argument about it.

I would have thought it was common sense not to say "I want to be a train driver becuase of the money" not sure it would get you far in an interview to be honest.

But what do I care? If someone wants to run the risk and say that its upto them.

Lucky63

I am just wondering as to why people think the CBI is the hardest part of the process?
Surely it has to be the easiest bit as you are just answering questions based on real life experiences...

red2005

I am just wondering as to why people think the CBI is the hardest part of the process?
Surely it has to be the easiest bit as you are just answering questions based on real life experiences...

Maybe so but you gotta remember on that same token the strength of your answer is only as strong as the opinion of the person interviewing you....to some your answer is top notch to others it's unsuitable.

I'd avoid the thought process of thinking 1 area will be easier than the other as that's just setting yourself up for a fall. Also what seems easy for some is difficult for others.

The whole process is very much horses for courses.

Honesty is all well and good but I think its safe to say that you'd come out of 9/10 interviews without a job if you come across as money motivated.Sugar coat it ......Point out the job security and stability great......but I'd still very much avoid going in there and stating your motivation is the 40k+ a year salary.

Remember they are looking for commitment and longevity for the money they are investing in you......not someone that's gonna have it away on their toes the first sign of more money at another TOC is flashed in front of their eyes.

Last edited:

Lucky63

Maybe so but you gotta remember on that same token the strength of your answer is only as strong as the opinion of the person interviewing you....to some your answer is top notch to others it's unsuitable.

I'd avoid the thought process of thinking 1 area will be easier than the other as that's just setting yourself up for a fall. Also what seems easy for some is difficult for others.

The whole process is very much horses for courses.

Honesty is all well and good but I think its safe to say that you'd come out of 9/10 interviews without a job if you come across as money motivated.Sugar coat it ......Point out the job security and stability great......but I'd still very much avoid going in there and stating your motivation is the 40k+ a year salary.

Remember they are looking for commitment and longevity for the money they are investing in you......not someone that's gonna have it away on their toes the first sign of more money at another TOC is flashed in front of their eyes

I am definitely not going to go down this route, that's for sure.

red2005

I am definitely not going to go down this route, that's for sure.

Sorry pal I should of stated that bit about money was in reply to swords comment about honesty lol.....wasn't directing that at you my apologies but in my opinion you're definitely doing the right thing avoiding the money topic mate lol.

new2this

CBI are there as a set standard of questions that will be asked to all interviewies, if they ask the same 5 questions or how many it might be to every person they interview then they score you in these answers aginst each other, the ones that can give the best scenarios that are what the comapny are looking for will proceed, remember there are something like 300 applicants per one trainee vacancy, so be ready, be prepared, dont try and lie and make things up, be honest, be yourself, they have the pick of who they want, it is a very hard task, those that do get through will ultimatley say its easy, not a problem, I remember my course, 12 on it and was told us 12 beat 4000 others and that is one course.

Status
Not open for further replies.