• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1tph to London

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mintona

Established Member
I have been thinking, which is reasonably frighteneing in itself. But I was wondering if anyone could help me. Which stations have at least an hourly service to London but the station isn't operated by the company that provides that hourly service, nor Network Rail?

I can think of 2. If there are any more, please let me know!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dan_atki

Established Member
Can think of several:

Stations Brighton - East Croydon (minus Gatwick) managed by Southern but have FCC services to London.

Reading is managed by FGW but has 2 SWT tph to Waterloo.

Epsom/Leatherhead/Dorking managed by Southern but have SWT services to Waterloo.

Bedford/Luton/Luton Airport Parkway managed by FCC but have EMT services to St Pancras.

Peterborough managed by NXEC but has 2 FCC tph to King's Cross.

Stevenage managed by FCC but has 1 NXEC tph to King's Cross.

Cambridge managed by NXEA but has 4 FCC tph to King's Cross.

Milton Keynes Central/Watford Junction managed by London Midland but have Virgin services to Euston.

(Is this a quiz or should it be moved into NR General Discussion? Just asking to make sure!).

thefab444

Established Member
Swanwick, service operated by Southern, station operated by South West Trains.

I presume you are excluding stations like Denmark Hill which are operated by Southeastern but have many Southern services to London - as well as Southeastern (and First Capital Connect) services.

DaveP1991

Well, Exeter St Davids has a regular SWT service to London and the station is managed by FGW, but FGW have a to London service as well so I guess that might not count.

Mintona

Established Member
(Is this a quiz or should it be moved into NR General Discussion? Just asking to make sure!).

It wasn't meant to be a quiz, I was genuinely wondering. Strange how the mind works when there are gaps at work. I didn't think it was very interesting for anyone else though so I put it here rather than NR general discussion.

Cheers for all the suggestions so far. I don't know why I want to know, I just kinda do.

Jordy

Established Member
It doesn't really have an hourly service to London, but Alnmouth is an interesting one, there are some London trains (more XC) but the station is managed by Northern.

me123

Established Member
It doesn't really have an hourly service to London, but Alnmouth is an interesting one, there are some London trains (more XC) but the station is managed by Northern.

Haymarket as well has quite a few trains to London (not quite hourly, but almost). It's Scotrail.

Pumbaa

Established Member
Wilmslow - provided by Virgin, operated by Northern
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Chester - managed by ATW, service provided by Virgin
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sandwell and Dudley - managed by London Midland, service provided by Virgin

Solihull - managed by London Midland, but gets 2tph to London Marylebone operated by Chiltern.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Birmingham Snow Hill, managed by LM but the service to London (2tph) is Chiltern. Solihull already mentioned, but also Dorridge has 2tph by Chiltern to London and managed by LM.

I was thinking of something similar the other day; how at the time of privatisation it was decided who would manage each station. Take Bristol Temple Meads, managed by Great Western even though more trains were provided by the regional operator (Wales/Borders, Wessex, etc) so I thought maybe something to do with who runs the London service, but then Cheltenham was managed by the regional TOC, maybe something to do with frequencies.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
& it's got worse since refranchising, e.g. EMT managing former Central stations with no EMT services (e.g. west of Leicester)

Crossover

Established Member
Stafford (managed by VT) now has, in addition to the hourly trains from Liverpool Lime Street to Euston, the hourly daytime London Midland Service from Crewe to Euston and vice versa calling at Stone and Stoke and then quite a few stations on the way to Euston.

I guess that also brings me onto Rugby which also gets this hourly service but is managed by VT.

mumrar

Established Member
Of course XC are the prime answer to any question about station operator not running services being as they run precisely zero of the stations called at. So, there's another question, how many different operators do XC services serve? Must be a fair quantity. I'll start it off: Nottingham-Cardiff EMT, LM, Net Rail, FGW, ATW.
New St-Stansted Net Rail, LM, EMT, NXEC, NXEA, NXSE. Bet I've missed at least one out though

paul1609

Established Member
Theres loads of these down south, in addition to those already mentioned;
Southampton Central, Fareham,Cosham, Fratton, Portsmouth & SSea, portsmouth Harbour, Havant and Clapham Junction all managed by SWT with an hourly Southern service.
Hastings and Tonbridge managed by SE service by SN

Status
Not open for further replies.