• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1W81 on 1/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

antharro

Anyone know what the fault was on 1W81 this evening that caused it to depart 35 minutes late? It moved about 4 metres, did an emergency stop then sat down and was detrained.

Having been advised that the 1935 wouldn't run and I should take another train (I ended up on 1L63 to Basingstoke [Salisbury service] then 1B65 to Bournemouth [Poole service, 2005 off Waterloo]) I was rather annoyed to find out later that 1W81 had indeed run, just 35 minutes late, fast to Southampton and had overtaken me at Basingstoke and arrived at Bournemouth around 20 minutes earlier than 1B65!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrB

Would it have perhaps been a SPAD with the emergency stop being involved?

antharro

It was still well within the platform when it stopped, so I wouldn't have thought so. It was 9 carriages (444+450) instead of the usual 10 (2x444).

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Trust shows the delay as a coupler related issue. It also shows the train, when it did eventually leave, was formed of just the 5-car 444 (444006), so presumably they left the 450 behind.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Having been advised that the 1935 wouldn't run and I should take another train (I ended up on 1L63 to Basingstoke [Salisbury service] then 1B65 to Bournemouth [Poole service, 2005 off Waterloo]) I was rather annoyed to find out later that 1W81 had indeed run, just 35 minutes late, fast to Southampton and had overtaken me at Basingstoke and arrived at Bournemouth around 20 minutes earlier than 1B65!

That's because when the train was cancelled initially, they did not know whether they would be able to source a spare unit from elsewhere, and if so, how long it would take, so it would have been better to get pax on the move asap.

Would it have perhaps been a SPAD with the emergency stop being involved?

No.

Trust shows the delay as a coupler related issue. It also shows the train, when it did eventually leave, was formed of just the 5-car 444 (444006), so presumably they left the 450 behind.

4023+0097 went back to Clapham yard.

antharro

Thanks for the info, voyagerdude.

It's interesting - last week, the 1935 was formed of a 444+450 and had problems departing the platform - three "false" starts, moving just a metre or two before stopping hard, followed by a normal, if slightly slower departure.

This week, obviously bigger problems.

Is this move to 444+450 a permanent change? Or temporary, providing extra capacity to soak up the number of extra passengers on the cheap £15 tickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.