• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1Z87 Rannoch-Victoria??

Status
Not open for further replies.

38Cto15E

I noticed a couple of movements yesterday on realtimetrains but I have been unable to find out what they are.
1Z85 Edinburgh-Rannoch and 1Z87 Rannoch-Victoria, were they diesel hauled? presumably had beds??
My curiosity has the better of me.
TIA

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Royal Train?

negatory! Although it was a very regal train

The Royal train doesn't show on RTT as it doesn't exist ;)

It was a private charter, using the Royal Scotsman stock.

This train coasted into Beltchley as i was sleepily making may way to my work. Took me by surprise. Does anyone know what was hauling it and when it might come back as i would like a picture.

I assume this was some fancy charter to allow important people to blast things in the wilds of Scotland.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

theironroad

Established Member
I imagine it's related to this company:

http://www.belmond.com/royal-scotsman-train/the-train

. THE TRAIN
Belmond Royal Scotsman takes you to the heart of the Highlands, where you travel through landscapes of pine-clad mountains, reflected in mirror-still lochs.

From the moment you step aboard, our welcoming staff will make you feel like part of the family. Dine on world-class cuisine, rich with Scottish specialities, and embark on thrilling excursions each day.

Life on board is relaxed yet indulgent. Unwind in your luxurious private cabin, or trade stories with your fellow travellers in the Observation Car. With just 36 guests, this is railway travel at its most personal.
Luxury Train Travel
Observation Car

The Observation Car provides a wonderful vantage point from which to enjoy the spectacular Highlands scenery. Settle down in a comfortable sofa or armchair, or step out onto the open-air veranda, as you glide past castles, villages and glens.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
obviously it is related to the above post but the train doesn't often venture this far south. I was a little annoyed as i had asked to be collected form Fenny Stratford but the trian was too long for the platform. A convenient excuse! ;)

Last edited:

Deepgreen

Established Member
Ah, the romance of boarding at Rannoch and waking up to the stunning scenery of Battersea.

Incidentally - "open-air veranda"? Is this unique on Britain's railways (main line or preserved) in allowing exterior travel?

Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member
Last edited:

Deepgreen

Established Member

sprinterguy

Established Member
Thanks for that. The last verandah coach I travelled on was on the main line in New Zealand in 2009 and I remember thinking then how it would be impossible to do the same thing in the UK for 'safety reasons' - wrong!
Although admittedly in those two British examples it's only available to a privileged few.

In contrast, having thought about it some more, the Tanfield Railway also operate some four wheel vehicles with open verandas which are available to all, although that operation is more industrial in outlook than "main line".

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Ah, the romance of boarding at Rannoch and waking up to the stunning scenery of Battersea.

Incidentally - "open-air veranda"? Is this unique on Britain's railways (main line or preserved) in allowing exterior travel?

i think main line certainly. There was a man with a radio stood on the veranda this morning and he did not look warm!

38Cto15E

Thanks for the heads up on this one, I wasn't even looking for it on realtimetrains, I was looking at something else and this attracted my attention.
I saw and photographed the Belmond Oriental Pullman in Kanchanaburi,Thailand a couple of years ago, that looked very nice as well.

Belmond, if you need a secret shopper you know who to contact :) I would be quite comfortable on your Pullman trains, I could even slum it at the Reids Belmond Hotel on Madiera. :)

Deepgreen

Established Member
Eight minutes early at Imperial Wharf 20 minutes into its journey! The verandah (not open for use, presumably) looked very incongruous on the main line, especially next to the cab of 'Evening Star'.

route101

Established Member
Seen this belmond train at Waverley , seems to be popular with wealthy americans and the MK1s look upgraded especially when you look at the windows.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

How many Pink Floyd albums has Rannoch Moor graced ;)

Seriously though, the open air verandah sounds like a nice way to survey the suburban railways of South London.

fgwrich

Established Member
What is all this in aid off?

It's Belmond running a special for the GBRf staff involved.

In April this year we began operating the luxurious Belmond Royal Scotsman and after a cracking season, the train will arrive in Edinburgh at 1000hrs on Saturday 15th for the last time in 2016.
Belmond very kindly invited a lucky few GBRf staff picked at random from those involved in the operation, for a one night special trip from Edinburgh to London, via the West Highland Line of course!
The train will now go in for winter refurbishment and GBRf will be back at the helm in mid-April 2017 hauling this fine train

https://www.facebook.com/GBRailfreight/?fref=ts

D6975

Established Member
If it had been the Royal Train, it would not have appeared on any systems.

It did however used to appear on the platform information screens whenever it visited Temple Meads. Didn't actually say Royal Train of course, just the headcode of the working. The Royal Train always has the same headcode, which any rail enthusiast worth his salt will of course know.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Regarding open verandahs I was once on what was supposed to be a steam hauled special back from Poland to Berlin. Due to a fire ban it was hauled by two enormous Romanian diesels which easily got it up to 80 or maybe 90 to make up time. The mixed bag of a rake included several open ended, wooden seated six wheel stock of pre WW2 vintage (one of which had a wheelflat which sounded like a steam hammer!) The ride on the back verandha was 'lively' to put it mildly. Even more mad the Germans booked into these cheap seats were asleep despite the racket from the wheelflat due to 12 hours solid drinking.

Sunset route

It did however used to appear on the platform information screens whenever it visited Temple Meads. Didn't actually say Royal Train of course, just the headcode of the working. The Royal Train always has the same headcode, which any rail enthusiast worth his salt will of course know.

I've signalled it three times in my career so far and every time it's had a different WTT code.

Freightmaster

Established Member
The Royal Train always has the same headcode, which any rail enthusiast worth his salt will of course know.
I presume you are referring to the urban legend that it runs as 1X01??

I've no idea where that old wives tale came from, but as previous posters
have said, it just uses a 1Zxx heacode, like any other charter - as any
rail enthusiast worth his salt would know!!! ;)

MARK

D6975

Established Member
I presume you are referring to the urban legend that it runs as 1X01??

I've no idea where that old wives tale came from, but as previous posters
have said, it just uses a 1Zxx heacode, like any other charter - as any
rail enthusiast worth his salt would know!!! ;)

MARK

no, 1X00, and it did definitely used to run under this headcode. As I said earlier, I have seen this on the monitors at TM many times. The Royal train used to come through TM quite a lot as they liked to park it up on the Portishead branch stump in the Avon Gorge as it was an easy place to patrol, cliff on one side, river on the other. Not possible nowadays of course.

ps if you search google images with 1X00 Royal Train, it will bring up phots of locos bearing 1X00 on their headcode boxes, it is not a myth.

Freightmaster

Established Member
ps if you search google images with 1X00 Royal Train, it will bring up phots of locos bearing 1X00 on their headcode boxes, it is not a myth.
Sorry - by 'myth' I meant that people still think that must be the headcode
it uses these days, just because it used to do so in the pre-privatisation era.

I must admit that I was surprised (and slightly disappointed!) myself when
I found out a few years ago that it didn't have dedicated headcode any more :(

MARK

sprinterguy

Established Member
Seen this belmond train at Waverley , seems to be popular with wealthy americans and the MK1s look upgraded especially when you look at the windows.
They're not "proper" mark 1s in the formation of the Royal Scotsman, though, they were built by Metro-Cammell in 1960 to the same body profile as mark 1 carriages, as Pullman vehicles for use on the East Coast main line.

Deepgreen

Established Member
I took this at Victoria just as a record of the pretty amazing sight of a verandah car on today's network.

Attachments

• 30289093316_95fa3e605a_k.jpg
    30289093316_95fa3e605a_k.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 53
Status
Not open for further replies.