• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2*EMR 156s working 1P99 16:27 Derby-Kettering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prudhoe

Instead of usual 222 4 or 5-car. Worked off Etches Park as 5P99.

Is currently working 1P99 16:27 Derby-Kettering, then 1F57 18:10 Kettering-Derby-Sheffield.
Interesting to see whether they work through to Sheffield or swapped at Derby at 19:13

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mariner16

156414 and 415 both worked Corby to Kettering shuttles this morning before heading back upto Etches Park, think I've seen its the same units that have gone back out

louis97

Established Member
Instead of usual 222 4 or 5-car. Worked off Etches Park as 5P99.

Is currently working 1P99 16:27 Derby-Kettering, then 1F57 18:10 Kettering-Derby-Sheffield.
Interesting to see whether they work through to Sheffield or swapped at Derby at 19:13
1F57 is terminating Derby.

Prudhoe

1F57 is terminating Derby.
Working theCorby branch again this morning. 5M06 just left Derby for Chaddesden Sidings/Etches park Presumably will work 5P99/1P99 this afternoon

Working theCorby branch again this morning. 5M06 just left Derby for Chaddesden Sidings/Etches park Presumably will work 5P99/1P99 this afternoon
156s just worked off Etches Park for 1P99

Last edited:

Bod

Morning. Am I to understand the 156's are doing the 0926 Corby to Derby this morning?

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
I like to think that someone at EMR read my Corby comment in the “Where have Sprinters never been?” thread and thought “Challenge accepted”.

(But somehow I doubt it.)

Bod

Apparently so.

Indeed they did as went to take a look. I believe they went through to Sheffield Friday evening which they did not do the previous two nights on the 1810.

It will be interesting if this was just temporary or will become more regular. I assume it has come about because of HST sets coming out of traffic and 222's working former HST turns stretching availability.

geoffk

Established Member
Are these the first 156s over Harringworth Viaduct? They will look a bit lost.

LowLevel

Established Member
Indeed they did as went to take a look. I believe they went through to Sheffield Friday evening which they did not do the previous two nights on the 1810.

It will be interesting if this was just temporary or will become more regular. I assume it has come about because of HST sets coming out of traffic and 222's working former HST turns stretching availability.

Just some innovative working to get around a traction shortage caused by 180 availability or lack thereof and 222 cover, as well as things being stretched with the HSTs being on reduced diagrams.

It relies on the driver being a Derby mixed traction/"local" link bod and a Derby or Nottingham Regional guard being spare to traction conduct the Intercity train manager (you could use crews from another depot but shipping them over from Lincoln, Boston or Norwich is pushing feasibility). If it's a Nottingham conductor most will sign from Manton or Leicester through to Sheffield anyway, Derby conductors don't sign east of Leicester.

Just the control team being innovative to solve a problem, it happens the other way from time to time with 222s being sent to Crewe or Lincoln.

Tomnick

Established Member
I can't quote the details but I think there was a similar working vice 222 a few years ago.
Pretty sure that ran via Market Harborough both ways - it came back as 1F57 (if I remember correctly), which was normally formed from the rear portion of a 10-car Corby service, as things were back then.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
There was a period a few years ago (I think after it had been running about a year) when the morning Corby- Derby was shown in the printed timetable as standard class only with no refreshments - I took it that it was a Sprinter of some sort, but I didn't take the opportunity to experience it.

clagmonster

Established Member
Pretty sure that ran via Market Harborough both ways - it came back as 1F57 (if I remember correctly), which was normally formed from the rear portion of a 10-car Corby service, as things were back then.
Possibly so. My memory was that a 156 had worked a Kettering - Corby shuttle but it could easily be my old grey matter getting confuddled.

westcoaster

Established Member
There was a period a few years ago (I think after it had been running about a year) when the morning Corby- Derby was shown in the printed timetable as standard class only with no refreshments - I took it that it was a Sprinter of some sort, but I didn't take the opportunity to experience it.
Think it was booked a 4 car 222 with no refreshments, iirc it split of from another unit and the trolley crew went back to London.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Think it was booked a 4 car 222 with no refreshments, iirc it split of from another unit and the trolley crew went back to London.
In both the first (approx.) year of operation and after the period I mentioned, it was indeed 222 worked but the set arrived from Derby e.c.s. having travelled via Manton. It certainly had catering during those periods, although of variable standard; once, I was given a coffee pot (!) and, by contrast on another occasion, the steward remained in the kitchen, sounding busy but never emerging.
I had expected the train to be formed off the working that arrived at Corby from London about 20 minutes earlier but this was definitely never the case. Bearing in mind it runs via Syston E> N the diagram does seem to be rather inefficient.

Bod

Just some innovative working to get around a traction shortage caused by 180 availability or lack thereof and 222 cover, as well as things being stretched with the HSTs being on reduced diagrams.

It relies on the driver being a Derby mixed traction/"local" link bod and a Derby or Nottingham Regional guard being spare to traction conduct the Intercity train manager (you could use crews from another depot but shipping them over from Lincoln, Boston or Norwich is pushing feasibility). If it's a Nottingham conductor most will sign from Manton or Leicester through to Sheffield anyway, Derby conductors don't sign east of Leicester.

Just the control team being innovative to solve a problem, it happens the other way from time to time with 222s being sent to Crewe or Lincoln.

Thanks for this. I gather the 0926 was back to a 222 yesterday but then the 1105 St Pancras to Nottingham was a HST.

Status
Not open for further replies.