• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2 GBRf Class 66s to be used on NYMR for Mission: Impossible filming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robinson102

Hi all,

Not sure if this belongs here, or in the continental section, but as it appears to be a preserved locomotive I figured I'd try here first:

I was contacted yesterday by someone who was at Newport Pagnell services at the time, and found a locomotive which "appeared" to be a French 4-6-2, on two lorries there.

I've tried to do some research regarding it, but everything I've tried so far has created more questions than it answered.

I'm wondering if anyone might be able to tell me what it is - and have attached the photos sent to me to this post, with permission from the person who took them.

received_3131048260345295.jpegreceived_331502241307392.jpegreceived_302086984401618.jpegreceived_314795576430957.jpeg

The main things I've managed to figure out so far are:

The makers plate near the front of the loco has the location spelt wrong.

The locomotive appears to be named after a fictional town and/or battle featured in a 1964 Burt Lancaster film.

And the number on the cab side is strange as it starts 462 - which of course the locomotive is - but under the French classification system it would have been 231.

I can't find any record of any locomotive with this number and name, and its left me a bit baffled.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
That looks to me like a British Railways standard or an LMS thing, 'done up'. Perhaps being used as a film prop?

I agree. It's probably worth visiting the British Film Council and see what is currently being filmed.

Gartcosh

Its a Brit, so either 70000 or 70013. Looking at the tyres they appear to be, or were, polished and not painted, so this points to 70000 Britannia. Obviously 70000 is now very much out and about working now, so these are older pics pre overhaul ??? When were the pics taken ????

Darandio

Established Member
Its a Brit, so either 70000 or 70013. Looking at the tyres they appear to be, or were, polished and not painted, so this points to 70000 Britannia. Obviously 70000 is now very much out and about working now, so these are older pics pre overhaul ??? When were the pics taken ????

The OP says it was yesterday, they were contacted by the person who was there that subsequently took pictures.

Gartcosh

I read that to be "was contacted yesterday by somebody who was there at the time..." at the time being a reference to another date. Very interesting whichever way and be nice to find out more.

Darandio

Established Member
I read that to be "was contacted yesterday by somebody who was there at the time..." at the time being a reference to another date. Very interesting whichever way and be nice to find out more.

I read it as them being there at the time contact was made, i.e yesterday. I agree though, i'm interested to see what is going on here.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That’s a pretty impressive disguise job. But I’d be amazed if it was 70000 and was just taken in the last couple of days, because I filmed it at Exeter a couple of weeks ago and that looks like a lot of work to make it look like that!

Robinson102

Wasn't expecting this many replies, this quickly!

I can confirm these were definitely taken at the services yesterday - I was initially sent just one picture which I couldn't read the name or number on, so I asked if the loco was still there - and they went back out and took the photos I attached to the original post, along with several others.

I don't know currently know if it was northbound or southbound services, so I have asked the person who took them.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It is a film prop and I believe all new build.

pieguyrob

The name when typed into google comes back with a wikipedia page on a 1964 film called The Train. It's awar heist film starring Burt Lancaster, about stealing Nazi artworks. The interesting bit is under the production sub-heading, where the main loco used is a 4-6-0.

I'm sorry I don't know how to post the link.

Darandio

Established Member
The name when typed into google comes back with a wikipedia page on a 1964 film called The Train. It's awar heist film starring Burt Lancaster, about stealing Nazi artworks. The interesting bit is under the production sub-heading, where the main loco used is a 4-6-0.

It's the film mentioned in the OP. My very first guess was that a remake was in the offing but I cannot see any evidence of that. I can only assume there is some sort of production ongoing where they have added a subtle nod to it as reference.

Robinson102

It is a film prop and I believe all new build.

That is a very impressive film prop. Seems like a lot of effort though!

Yep, that's the one I was referring to in my initial post, and the only thing I can find with any connection to that name at all.

Robinson102

It's the film mentioned in the OP. My very first guess was that a remake was in the offing but I cannot see any evidence of that. I can only assume there is some sort of production ongoing where they have added a subtle nod to it as reference.

Likewise, I wondered about a remake - but also can't find anything mentioning there being one in the making.

John Webb

Established Member
The exterior shots in the 1964 Burt Lancaster film "The Train" were filmed entirely in France using SNCF stock; See the late John Huntley's book "Railways on the Screen".

John Webb

Established Member

Strictly speaking the 1964 film portrays the French Resistance and railway workers stopping the Nazis from looting French and other artworks from Paris as they were retreating in 1944. It seems something similar actually happened in 1944.

Robinson102

Was it going north or south?

Apparently it was at the Northbound services

That seems odd to me. If you're going to build something like that from scratch, why not base it on a French prototype rather than a British one disguised as a French one?

Something I was also wondering. It seems like a lot of expense to build something that doesn't look "right" - but those sort of questions are the reason I made this post in the first place, someone may know.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Apparently it was at the Northbound services

Something I was also wondering. It seems like a lot of expense to build something that doesn't look "right" - but those sort of questions are the reason I made this post in the first place, someone may know.
Not the first time it’s been done of course, with films like The Virgin Soldiers, Octopussy etc having done similar.
Perhaps the fact that if it is 70000 and is in ticket makes it cheaper than filming in France or importing a French locomotive etc?
At the end of the day 99.9% of film punters would think it was a foreign locomotive by looking at it.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I've had a look and can't find anything either.

So, I've posed the question on the WW2 Forum, and I'll let you know if I hear anything.

awsnews

Not the first time it’s been done of course, with films like The Virgin Soldiers, Octopussy etc having done similar.
Perhaps the fact that if it is 70000 and is in ticket makes it cheaper than filming in France or importing a French locomotive etc?
At the end of the day 99.9% of film punters would think it was a foreign locomotive by looking at it.
Looking closely at the images it isn't 70000. There are a number of detail differences such as the height of the platform below the smokebox door, some additional holes in the bufferbeam, the sloping section of the bodywork at the front doesn't have a join in it near the top. No doubt those who are more familiar with the real thing will be able to spot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.