• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2 year old obsessed with Trains... where to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

12CSVT

Established Member
Another suggestion, if you (and your son) want to see both freight and passenger trains is Acton Main Line station. The station itself is a good vantage point for Acton yard which is used by numerous aggregates trains.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

43021HST

Established Member
Agreed that Reading would be a really good idea.

On the EMU topic, I really like the 350s' whirr as they leave/stop at a station!

As a kid you ignore the silly whirr, you're attention is drawn to the big growling diesel sitting at the head of an express train.

EXD

You don't want to put the kid off trains!

I think how I was bitten buy the railway bug was the screaming Valenta engines at Reading, that made such a big impression for such a small boy. I also had healthy doses of First gen Diesels and steam at preserved, that's probably why I'm not a unit fan, I was brought up with much better at such a young age!

If I'd lived in an area that was strictly EMUs I don't think I'd have the fascination for railways like I do.

I wouldn't write Clapham Junction off so easily - I was entranced by the place at a similar age. Admittedly there were slammers then, but I liked the other stuff too.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
If hes 2 then i dont think he cares about the type of train, just got somewhere with high frequency and big trains and he will be thrilled just like i was at such a young age. Didcot is good though, i would recommend that.

Requeststop

My 21 month old daughter has a fascination for hst and voyagers, you can see a viaduct from our window, and she gets excited everytime a hst or voyager passes, but isn't interested in.150s and 153s,

One of the under - estimated viaducts in Cornwall if not the nation - wonderful Xmas lights too (12 days of Xmas a couple of days back) and a couple of excellent pubs for lunch and an evening meal. Hayle the nearest Station. - Bit of a journey back towards Camborne to get there.

Angarrack also the name of a very good novel recently dramatised on Radio 4 too. Passed over the viaduct many, many times.

Getting back to the topic in hand - How about Ashford? Plenty of action there with Channel Tunnel and local traffic!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I was thinking Clapham but I would avoid rush hour.

Get a travelcard and Londons network is your (or not) oyster as they say :lol:, with that you could do both and a trip on Thames link to St Pancreas and the redone Kings Cross.

Sorry I couldn't resist - I can imagine a 2 year olds Pancreas having trouble with an Oyster, as well as a 2 year old having trouble swiping an Oyster card at St Pancras.:D

richw

Veteran Member
One of the under - estimated viaducts in Cornwall if not the nation - wonderful Xmas lights too (12 days of Xmas a couple of days back) and a couple of excellent pubs for lunch and an evening meal. Hayle the nearest Station. - Bit of a journey back towards Camborne to get there.
i live directly opposite the pub, nice quiet village except at christmas time for above reasons!

Adding to the North Wales idea, you could do a day circuit from Bangor with admittedly a bus to Caernarfon, but then a Garratt on the WHR to Porthmadog, a Fairlie on the Ffestiniog, a DMU from Blaenau to Llandudno Junction and then a 67 hauling the WAG express to Bangor (all of which is in daylight now that the clocks have gone forward). Plenty of tunnels and semaphore signals which are a favourite with my 2yo son (though we haven't yet done the full circuit as described)!

Status
Not open for further replies.