• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

20.48 Liverpool-euston 24/02

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikestone1952

Does anyone know what happened to the passengers of this after being trapped by OLE damage at Heamies?. Watching the map it appears they were transfered to a 1Z99 Voyager which deposited them at Crewe around 00.30.
;

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Judging by what I was reading on Tyrrell earlier today, I think VT originally ordered coaches at Crewe in preparation of the Super Voyager arriving at Crewe with the stranded passengers onboard it, however, they didn't materialize, despite the coach company insisting they were indeed outside the station. In the end I believe they ordered taxis with it being so late, although I seem to remember reading that around 30 people were going to London, so a rather expensive taxi bill I suspect.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Judging by what I was reading on Tyrrell earlier today, I think VT originally ordered coaches at Crewe in preparation of the Super Voyager arriving at Crewe with the stranded passengers onboard it, however, they didn't materialize, despite the coach company insisting they were indeed outside the station. In the end I believe they ordered taxis with it being so late, although I seem to remember reading that around 30 people were going to London, so a rather expensive taxi bill I suspect.

No worse, I'd imagine, than the Preston to Edinburgh taxi I "enjoyed" a few months ago. I did ask him what it would have cost, but he said he couldn't say.

marks87

Established Member
No worse, I'd imagine, than the Preston to Edinburgh taxi I "enjoyed" a few months ago. I did ask him what it would have cost, but he said he couldn't say.
I ended up in a rail replacement taxi from Aberdeen to Dundee once. The staff at the station (apparently) had no authority to negotiate a price, so the meter stayed on. It was around £180 by the time I was dropped off.

So I'd expect a meter-on taxi from Preston to Edinburgh to come in at not much south of £600, even allowing for variance in fares between the local authorities.

Aeion

As I seem to remember it's a standard £1 per mile for taxis companies who are registered to work for the railway. Needing so many tho I'm sure they would of had to book non registered ones at the full standard rate for the average joe bloggs off the street.

LeylandLen

Does anyone know what happened to the passengers of this after being trapped by OLE damage at Heamies?. Watching the map it appears they were transfered to a 1Z99 Voyager which deposited them at Crewe around 00.30.
;

Looking at RTT at around that time , some trains were presumably diverted via Stoke and some LM trains cancelled, so other passengers must have been inconvenienced, not good at any time but even worse for them considering the late time of day .(night !!!):cry::cry::cry:

RugbyDoug

Centerville (Cape Cod), Massachusetts, USA
Hello! I am a new member to the Forum...just signed-up this weekend. As it happens, my wife and I were on this train when the incident with the catenary wire occurred...so I can tell you everything from a passenger's perspective. It was indeed a very long night...we left Liverpool at 20.48 and didn't get to Rugby by cab until 4.30! Our taxi at Crewe came from Manchester.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I ended up in a rail replacement taxi from Aberdeen to Dundee once. The staff at the station (apparently) had no authority to negotiate a price, so the meter stayed on. It was around £180 by the time I was dropped off.

So I'd expect a meter-on taxi from Preston to Edinburgh to come in at not much south of £600, even allowing for variance in fares between the local authorities.

my brother had a black cab from Nottingham to Great Yarmouth many years ago after the last Liverpool - Norwich failed. He says station staff said the same thing and the driver drove him and 4 others home (and i mean to each home) and then he went back to Nottingham with the meter running all the way. He had a good fare that day!

RugbyDoug

The 20.48 was a Pendolino. At about 21.45 you could hear the catenary slapping against the carriages...by the time our carriage reached it, or perhaps it was being dragged by the tension weights (we were either the last or second-to-last carriage...I don't remember), it was making a tremendous racket all over, sounding like it would break the carriage windows. We coasted to a halt and all the emergency power systems came on. Over the next 2.5 hours it got progressively colder inside. The crew did their best at trying to make everyone comfortable, coming through with drinks and offering free goodies from the Shop, but information was slow in coming. Eventually, a Voyager came alongside at around 00.15...somewhere about 00.30 - 00.45 (it took awhile to transfer all the passengers over one gangplank), we headed back to Crewe.

I'm relatively-new to train travel in the UK, and this was my first experience with Virgin...nothing like a baptism by fire (no pun intended)!

Last edited:

mikestone1952

It was virtually unheard off, certainly for inter-city trains, until one night Cyril Bleasdale came on to the DCC (Jim Trafford, I think) from his new-fangled mobile phone to tell him there was no rush for an assistant loco as he had detrained all the passengers and they were now standing on the lineside!

RugbyDoug

After we arrived at Crewe, we were ushered into the First Class lounge to await the next step...of which we had no idea. Once again, we were told to help ourselves to whatever food and drink they had on-hand. Eventually, another announcement was made about coaches and taxis...and we waited still. We were told that we would be taken directly to our final destinations, which was when I realised Virgin was about to lose a lot of money on this trip! Quite a few folks were headed to London, some to make connections at Heathrow. I don't remember what happened with the coaches...but taxis began arriving around 02.30. At 03.00 four of us piled into a taxi (originally from Manchester) bound for Rugby...arrival at 04.30.

Elecman

Established Member
It was virtually unheard off, certainly for inter-city trains, until one night Cyril Bleasdale came on to the DCC (Jim Trafford, I think) from his new-fangled mobile phone to tell him there was no rush for an assistant loco as he had detrained all the passengers and they were now standing on the lineside!

What are you referring to with this post?

Status
Not open for further replies.