2005 in pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
49,969
Location
Yorkshire
Not necessarily my 'best photos of 2005', but more a case of showing a story of some of my trips in 2005, most of which are no longer possible.

2005 - what a year! :D


End of the line: Sadly, some MML HST sets have been replaced by Meridian DMUs. On 29 December the 1655 St Pancras - Leeds terminates before heading off to Neville Hill.


Proper trains returned to Virgin CrossCountry for a week.
Virgin's 16:25 Plymouth-York, formed of a full-length MML HST set terminates at York on 21 December.


Bad news for Virgin's 'Thunderbird' 57s, as it is revealed that next year they may be stood down. However the good news for enthusiasts was that loco-hauled trains, hauled by Class 57 locomotives, have returned to the North Wales coast.


A familiar sight, is now no more. Class 37 haulage ceased with the start of the new timetable. Here, 37411 heads from the siding back into Rhymney station after giving way to a Pacer during the Rhymney Valley Diesel Extravaganza on 4 December.


The end: A sad day on 26 November as Southern operated it's last ever slam-door train. Unit 3535 stands at Brighton station having terminated for the last time from London Victoria.


Western Champion prepares for departure at York. The train eventually departed 3 hr 51 minutes late on a railtour to York on 26 November.



The 'Sussex slammer' railtour at London Bridge. The VEP is seen here at the country end before a CIG was attached. As you can see, photographers were out in force for the event.


Steam loco 34067 'Tangmere' operated several railtours during 2005. Seen here at London Victoria.


The last ever time a 'Slammer' would visit Newhaven Marine station. This station is virtually closed, recieving only one train a day which is not advertised in the timetable. The station is in a sorry state, long gone are the days when hundreds of passengers would transfer from the ferry to a slam-door train for their onward journey.


FGW Link used a top n tail Class 57 loco hauled train instead of a unit on 1851 Paddington-Twyford (This service normally continues to Henley-on-Thames) on 27 October.



Barnetby remains a popular location for freight enthusiasts. But these days the traction on offer is very limited. Here, 66952 is captured in full sun as it curves round the corner heading west.




Farewell DBSOs, which are due to be withdrawn in 2006. 1P50 17:30 London - Norwich picks up at Stratford on 8 October 2005.





The ECML was shut again in Autumn 2005, here a GNER HST thrashes eastbound through Hexham at approx 1330 on a service from Edinburgh to Newcastle via Carlisle on 2 October.


The ACoRP event was a fantastic success. 1G04 rounds the tight curve towards Reedham swing bridge glistening in the sun.




The Southern Belle railtour departs Waterloo on 17 September, CIG leading (looking towards the rear of the train), this was one of the last times - if not the last - a slam door train would depart from Waterloo.


On 27 August I had the pleasure of having the front left window the whole way on the 1644 Cardiff-Crewe, the evening sun illuminating the 37. This was a fantastic day of loco haulage in South Wales, with loco hauled specials from Leeds, Crewe and Manchester and 37s and 47s to Rhymney. The journey back was very special, the look on some passengers faces when they realised their train was a 37 (this was a stopper) could only be described as shocked, and some needed persuading that this was indeed their train!



You can still travel on a 1st generation 'proper' DMU and get this view, on National Rail. This is Chiltern's Class 121 bubble car which operates peak hour services between Aylesbury and Princes Risborough, operated by what must be the oldest passenger train on the network.


In the evening sun, a scene that is now history: A 4-VEP departs from Lewes on a Seaford service.


If EWS had their way, this would now be history. But in spite of EWS' attempts, 37s are still the only viable option for the West Highland Line. Myself and Joy54 enjoyed the view from the front right window on 15th August, for a very memorable trip. At the time I believed this would be my last trip, but it looks set to continue in 2006!


Another scene that is now history. 90035 stands at North Berwick on 26 July.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
1,871
yorkie said:
Sadly, some MML HST sets have been replaced by Meridian DMUs. On 29 December the 1655 St Pancras - Leeds terminates before heading off to Neville Hill.
Why's that bad? It means you get better window views! Faster acceleration and deceleration, better cooked food in First Class, better seats, a better buffet bar. And most importantly, a quieter ride in the vestibules! Plus the trains are colder in the summer and warmer in the winter.
 

Andy

Member
Joined
8 Sep 2005
Messages
478
that could make you cry seeing all tham great emu and 37's slowly dissapearing :cry:
 

richa2002

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,143
Jamie C. Steel said:
yorkie said:
Sadly, some MML HST sets have been replaced by Meridian DMUs. On 29 December the 1655 St Pancras - Leeds terminates before heading off to Neville Hill.
Why's that bad? It means you get better window views! Faster acceleration and deceleration, better cooked food in First Class, better seats, a better buffet bar. And most importantly, a quieter ride in the vestibules! Plus the trains are colder in the summer and warmer in the winter.
And a noisier ride in the coach with a bloody underfloor engine.
 

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
2,854
Location
Trowbridge
ewww 313s instead?? :cry:

321s are just as better, 313s have no real proper seating layout with half back seats, hate those on the NLL, WLL isnt too bad, your not on them for that long but long enough lol
 

richa2002

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,143
Jamie C. Steel said:
Richard Armstrong said:
And a noisier ride in the coach with a bloody underfloor engine.
Not much louder than in a Mk3, it's barely noticeable, the ride is a lot smoother too.
lol. That's the funniest thing I've heard all day :lol:
 

Nick

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
976
Richard Armstrong said:
Jamie C. Steel said:
Richard Armstrong said:
And a noisier ride in the coach with a bloody underfloor engine.
Not much louder than in a Mk3, it's barely noticeable, the ride is a lot smoother too.
lol. That's the funniest thing I've heard all day :lol:
Not really. Meridians on the whole are far better for a passenger than a outdated HST. HST's have a awful sound and are especially cack on points or jointed rail compared to a meridian, plus Meridian windows are bigger and you don't have to strain yourself on a low back mk3 seat to look out the window. How can a DEMU replacing a DMU be a bad thing? Yes thats right, they're electric transmission so are quieter, the underfloor engines of course providing greater reliablity over the HSTs.
 

Jordy

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2005
Messages
8,464
Location
Leighton Buzzard
Nick said:
Not really. Meridians on the whole are far better for a passenger than a outdated HST.
So why when on a Meridian from Leicester to Bedford is there a table of people next to me having a conversation on 'Why these bloody things rattle so much'?

Nick said:
How can a DEMU replacing a DMU be a bad thing?
Since when is a HST a DMU?!! :?

Jordy
 

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
5,366
Location
Cardiff
Jordy said:
Nick said:
Not really. Meridians on the whole are far better for a passenger than a outdated HST.
So why when on a Meridian from Leicester to Bedford is there a table of people next to me having a conversation on 'Why these bloody things rattle so much'?
I agree completely Jordy, how does a HST rattle far more than a class 222? Each car has an underfloor engine, creating far more vibrations than an unpowered mk3 coach. The seats on HSTs are more comfortable, there is more leg room, and they are certainly not outdated :x . Also, how is the food any better on a class 222 than a HST? Look at the superb standard of food that is served on a GNER HST service for example. The kitchen on a HST is far bigger and well equpped than on a class 222.

On a more pleasant note, superb pictures there Yorkie, sums up the year nicely :)
 

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
5,366
Location
Cardiff
I'm not saying I don't like class 222s. I personally think that they're great trains. But they are not silent trains, and I will always prefer a HST.
 

Coxster

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2005
Messages
9,244
Jordy said:
Since when is a HST a DMU?!! :?
From when they were built, they were classified Class 253s and Class 254s. The Class 253s were allocated to the (W)estern Region whereas the Class 254s were allocated to the (E)astern and Scottish regions. As you can probably guess, both were identical. During this period, both power cars had the same number in semi-fixed formations using the same trailer coaches as modern 'units' do. There were a few reasons for their new '43' numbers, one of which was that the 'units' were split due to power car failures so it was simular to having a current multiple unit, take a Class 450 for example, with one end 450003 and the other 450067. Class 252(001) was the prototype HST. The Class 43 number had been used before for a type of 'Warship' class.

It was in the '80s that the units were split up and each power car got it's own Class 43 number and the trailers became plain Mark 3s.

Moderator Note: Can we please get back on topic now guys? You can start a 'Class 43/Meridian' debate elsewhere if you wish -COXSTER
 
Joined
4 Oct 2005
Messages
207
Location
WERE EVER I WANT TO BE !
Coxster said:
Jordy said:
Since when is a HST a DMU?!! :?
From when they were built, they were classified Class 253s and Class 254s. The Class 253s were allocated to the (W)estern Region whereas the Class 254s were allocated to the (E)astern and Scottish regions. As you can probably guess, both were identical. During this period, both power cars had the same number. There were a few reasons for their new '43' numbers, one of which was that the 'units' were split due to power car failures so it was simular to having a current multiple unit, take a 450 for example, with one end 450003 and the other 450067. Class 252(001) was the prototype HST. The Class 43 number had been used before for a type of 'Warship' class.

It was in the 80s that the units were split up and each power car got it's own Class 43 number and the trailers became plain Mark 3s.
also 43xxx was used to haul one TPO coach some were in the Midlands in the late 80's
 

Nick

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
976
laverack222 said:
Jordy said:
Nick said:
Not really. Meridians on the whole are far better for a passenger than a outdated HST.
So why when on a Meridian from Leicester to Bedford is there a table of people next to me having a conversation on 'Why these bloody things rattle so much'?
I agree completely Jordy, how does a HST rattle far more than a class 222? Each car has an underfloor engine, creating far more vibrations than an unpowered mk3 coach. The seats on HSTs are more comfortable, there is more leg room, and they are certainly not outdated :x . Also, how is the food any better on a class 222 than a HST? Look at the superb standard of food that is served on a GNER HST service for example. The kitchen on a HST is far bigger and well equpped than on a class 222.

On a more pleasant note, superb pictures there Yorkie, sums up the year nicely :)
Firstly AJP and 6M60 we are no discussing the eye candy onboard the trains we're talking about their performance. But I suspect most people woudl say any trains great if an attractive womans in it :P

Anyhoo. The seats on a HST are of a low back design with a flip down table which IIRC is fairly big. My problem is that being of around 6ft the seats are a pain, in tems of legroom there is a roblem, also the backing of the really anoys me, they're of a rather hard cushion and are low down the back of the seat only goes part of the way up my back creating no head rest. Where as on a Meridian I get plenty of room and a headrest which is like a pillow :)

AFAIK both trains can make a bacon bap so I won't fault neitehr of 'em :D But I can have a frothy coffe on a Meridian whilst I get a scoop of instant coffee on a HST.

The vibrations are found on anything with an engine underneath and I'm afraid if we want more reliability it is the way forward whever you like it or not.
 

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
5,366
Location
Cardiff
Nick said:
Where as on a Meridian I get plenty of room and a headrest which is like a pillow :)
You must sleep on a pretty lousy hard pillow at night then :roll: ;)
 

AJP

Established Member
Joined
30 Sep 2005
Messages
1,148
Location
Doncaster
laverack222 said:
I'm not saying I don't like class 222s. I personally think that they're great trains. But they are not silent trains, and I will always prefer a HST.
I wasnt saying I liked the actual trains its the entertainment inside ;)
 

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
1,966
Nick said:
The vibrations are found on anything with an engine underneath and I'm afraid if we want more reliability it is the way forward,
Rubbish is an underfloor engine the way forward, if a HST failed in a station for example you could drag a fitter in and attempt to fix it on the spot, I don't see anyone crawling under an underfloor engine - no space. I was reminded of this on my work experience at Newport Station, and was told that it was common for failed loco's to have repair attempts taken out at the station, and that you can't do this with underfloor engined units
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top