• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2007 - "The Western Ho!" (16th June 2007) - Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter C

Established Member
Hello all,
I've been doing some looking into older railtours recently and I came across the Past-Time Rail railtour by the name of The Western Ho! I was wondering the following few things about the railtour (as I can't find much online as it isn't specific enough):

What was the coaching formation for the railtour? This photo shows that the railtours was at least the following, starting at the locomotive end:
  • 1x Mk2 BR Blue and Grey
  • 5x Mk1 BR Maroon
  • 1x Mk1 BR Blue and Grey
  • 1x Mk1 BR Maroon
  • 2x BR Mk1 BR Blue and Grey

Also, may I ask what the set up was for D1015 Western Champion? I know that it had D1051 Western Ambassador nameplates and number plates, but were these for the entire locomotive or just one side? This photo and this photo seem to show that it was D1015 on one side and D1051 on the other.

Thanks very much in advance. Please let me know if I am being unreasonable in my requests or if this is in the wrong subforum!

-Peter

EDIT: Also, does anyone know which platform the railtour left from? I'm not 100% given the information online. Someone who is smarter than me could probably identify it from this photo.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mills444

Im not sure if you have already looked but if you type the tour name in to YT and flickr you will probably be able to work out the formation from the assorted media. Secondly the Six Bells Junction website may also be of use to you.

Peter C

Established Member
Im not sure if you have already looked but if you type the tour name in to YT and flickr you will probably be able to work out the formation from the assorted media. Secondly the Six Bells Junction website may also be of use to you.
For some reason YT didn't cross my mind- thanks for the suggestions.

-Peter

Peter C

Established Member
I've found a video on YT for the railtour: turns out the coaching formation included two buffet coaches in the BR Maroon sections and a single BR Maroon Mk1 after the last 2 Blue & Grey coaches. There's only one video on YT, though, which I thought was strange.
D1015 also carried D1051 Western Ambassador nameplates and number plates on one side and not both.
Still need the platform at Paddington from which it departed, though. If anyone could help, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Peter

EDIT: Turns out a quick Flickr search produced the following photo:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/77541...NtP-dmgM6U-iK2auk-MzvA5j-dmgLTh-MKxofX-MzvAA9
(can't quote photo due to the way Flickr works)
and now I'd ask if anyone can ID the platform, maybe from the plate on the catenary post to the right of the frame? Thanks very much in advance once again.

EDIT, part 2: This screenshot from Google (of Google Earth) suggests the platform could be P10?
paddingtonstation.jpg

From https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&u...ved=0CAMQjB1qFwoTCIi00t6P3uUCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

Last edited:

87electric

It was Platform 10. Confirmed by my photos on the day. I didn't note the coaching stock I'm afraid.

Peter C

Established Member
It was Platform 10. Confirmed by my photos on the day. I didn't note the coaching stock I'm afraid.
Excellent! Photo evidence is good enough! :) The video I found has pretty much confirmed the coaching stock for me. I need to watch it again and make more notes on it. But I'm not fussed about coach numbers so that's alright :D

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Good to see you taking an interest in top quality motive power Peter... ;)

Those coaches weren't blue and grey - the Mk2 is in the Riviera Trains blue and cream livery and I think the Mk1s are possibly green and cream.

Status
Not open for further replies.