• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2009 Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Apparently 11039 / 40 has been back at Derby for modifications; a number of bodyside panels had been put on the wrong way round???:roll:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Have a look at how some of the panels fit together (look near the doors and by the ceiling). There's a white rubber-like tape/seal along many edges, and in many cases it's been stretched to the point where it hangs down or is misshapen. Possibly as the panels have been removed and not fitted back on properly.

You'll see it on almost all the trains, so someone clearly didn't design things that well. After all, the trains will need maintenance so surely you'd make sure panels could come off and go back on securely (and the right way around).

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
A message elsewhere today states the problem is the panels that were fitted the wrong way round are the ones with access holes for the equipment behind them, so the holes didn't line up with the equipment... This apparently affected all eight cars on 11039 / 11040...

Nym

Established Member
A message elsewhere today states the problem is the panels that were fitted the wrong way round are the ones with access holes for the equipment behind them, so the holes didn't line up with the equipment... This apparently affected all eight cars on 11039 / 11040...

Well built stock then...

Congrats Derby...

jon0844

Veteran Member
Fitted by the inexperienced kid we saw in the recent Tube series on BBC1 perhaps?!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
It makes me wonder about those 30 units of S8 Stock that are going back to Derby for modifications...

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The figure of 30 units came from a very reliable source... It'll be the first 30 that were delivered.

Officially it's for software modifications, but I cannot see why they can't do that at Neasden so there must be something else as well, and it must be rather eyebrow raising to require them to go back to Derby...

Met Driver

Established Member
I gather earlier units - around the number you mention - have a different type of wheelset, but it's probably nothing to do with that..! :)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
By rail I believe.

Now, seriously, if it really is the software why can't they do what they need to do at Neasden? they must be able to plug the things in somewhere?

WatcherZero

Established Member
By rail but not under their own power.
I cant see why software would cause them to be returned, unless it was firmware and they only feel comfortable updating the flash memory at the factory. A complete reinstall rather than simply updating might require factory recertification that it was safe to operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.