• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2020 accessibility compliant 158s/159s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Hi all.

I note that the 158s and 159s that have been PRM modified retain the as built disabled bog. Why is this when 156s, whos old bogs were/are also quite generously sized are having the horrid IMO round ones fitted?

What has been done to the 158 and 159 ones to bring them in line? I think I read somewhere a new door but cannot find where. Certainly door opperation on the ones I have used is much smoother. Can anyone clarify?
Cheers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clansman

Established Member
Having witnessed several wheelchair users trying to navigate a 158 in the past, it's a wonder how on earth their toilets are compliant. The 2020 proof ones I've seen on ScotRail, for example, bare no significant differences other than better-illuminated LEDs around the buttons, a new toilet and tank, and lower door buttons in both the toilet and the passenger saloon.

Starmill

Veteran Member
It is a good question. I do not know how these toilets pass. They must be deemed just acceptable (there is some tolerance for older fixtures to go slightly outside the TSI).

I dislike the toilet unit that is going into the 156s too, but at least it is functional. I slightly prefer the one they have used in the 322 and 320 fleet (and I think the 321/9).

Blindtraveler

Established Member
The ones in the 32x EMU's seam all together more robust and better quality than the 150/156//319 and I assume Networker family both deezol and electric?
The latter seams prone to door faults and issues with air management and in some cases make a voyager seam better!

Anyone any advance on my possible unconfirmed info about new doors on 158 ones? As I say the ones I have ridden do seam to work better in the door department suggesting an overhaul or replacement and if replacement maybe its a tad wider?

Kneedown

Established Member
On EMT, the 158 accessible, air operated toilet door has been replaced with an electrically powered one to improve reliability. Retention tanks fitted. New PIS system, audible door release alarm in addition to doors closing hustle alarm. New door operation switches. That's all I can remember off the top of my head.

Kneedown

Established Member
Cheers, I believe the Scotrail units are being done by the same team so toilet mods are most liekely identical.

I heard that EMT have installed USB points, are these at all seats or just tables?

Yep, that's one i'd forgotten. One usb socket per seat, located between the two at knee level. Airline and table seats.

On Moderation
On EMT, the 158 accessible, air operated toilet door has been replaced with an electrically powered one to improve reliability. Retention tanks fitted. New PIS system, audible door release alarm in addition to doors closing hustle alarm. New door operation switches. That's all I can remember off the top of my head.
From memory, don't they also get an extra wheelchair space with consequent reduction in seating capacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.