• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2040 Tube Map

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali.Carr

After trying to put Crossrail 2 on the Tube Map, I had a go making a full map with all the proposals from the Mayor's March 2018 Transport Strategy:
WJ23G8tPgOiieFNsGRbmtF1P04HamnlN7XfqhJscV4kPHi0u8tRY47Gs9YyGePzDtwBEbsVIOjFL8SK_oGnEP3_KvYBnY-_rDtu5B8rZt9tkfNCChPvqqP0ZKMLPoIx6yL-SWs90Bg=w2400

I tried to stick as close as possible to only the proposals in the Transport Strategy, to avoid making something as speculative (and complex) as the 2050 Tube Map. But there are some proposals (like Crossrail 2 to Hackney or DLR to Thamesmead) which were vaguely alluded to, which I'm a little on the fence about including.

Let me know what you think! There are definitely errors still lurking around - please let me know if you spot any! :)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ali.Carr

Looking good so far. Think you could include the plans for Picc Line trains to run to Ealing Broadway (not District) - e.g. see this thread
https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...h-to-acton-express-lines.147510/#post-3105682

Thanks for pointing this out - I've updated the map, and hopefully have correctly reflected the plans.

Arnt the plans for the Northern line, to split it into two different names?

I'm very undecided about this one. There's lots and lots of talk about a split Northern line, and it seems likely to happen once the Camden Town upgrade is complete, but I can't actually see any mention of a split Northern line on any TfL document - but I might just have been unobservant and missed it.

Glenmutchkin

I'm sure that I have read a credible article about a plan to split the Northern Line into two once Camden is sorted but I can't remember where.

Is the Moorgate - Finsbury Park line going to close in your plan or is it an omission?

Ali.Carr

I'm sure that I have read a credible article about a plan to split the Northern Line into two once Camden is sorted but I can't remember where.
I managed to dig up this, which does explicitly refer to a split Northern line post the Camden uprgrade. I have updated the map with a split Northern line.

Is the Moorgate - Finsbury Park line going to close in your plan or is it an omission?
I might be misunderstanding, but I thought this line would stay outside TfL, so (like Thameslink) wouldn't appear on the Tube map?

Glenmutchkin

I might be misunderstanding, but I thought this line would stay outside TfL, so (like Thameslink) wouldn't appear on the Tube map?

No it's me having brain fade. I might have to get myself a new Underground Map.

Attachments

• IMG_20180315_142550235.jpg
    IMG_20180315_142550235.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 152

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Very interesting, it seems quite strange to see the Northern Line split like that. Do the plans for that simply have it split into two separate parts still both called the Northern Line, or is a renaming suggested do you know?

Clip

Established Member
There may well be another extension of the DLR from Gallions Reach over the Thames too by then.

Ali.Carr

Very interesting, it seems quite strange to see the Northern Line split like that. Do the plans for that simply have it split into two separate parts still both called the Northern Line, or is a renaming suggested do you know?
I haven't seen any official plans for new names / colours (apart from some speculation, such as here). I'd actually be in favour of keeping the "Northern" name for both branches - but this might be a controversial view ;) .

There may well be another extension of the DLR from Gallions Reach over the Thames too by then.
I've definitely seriously considered putting this in, since it is (vaguely) alluded to in the transport strategy document.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I'd actually be in favour of keeping the "Northern" name for both branches - but this might be a controversial view ;)

Not so much controversial as sensible in my opinion, I think a renaming might cause more confusion than it would solve.

rebmcr

Established Member

I've definitely seriously considered putting this in, since it is (vaguely) alluded to in the transport strategy document.

While there almost certainly will be a crossing of some sort there, it's still very undecided whether the DLR will traverse it.

LiftFan

Are there still plans to extend the DLR to Charing Cross Jubilee platforms from Bank via the old Aldwych platforms?

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
I haven't seen any official plans for new names / colours (apart from some speculation, such as here). I'd actually be in favour of keeping the "Northern" name for both branches - but this might be a controversial view ;) .

Simple solution: call them Northern City Line and Northern West End Line.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

The latest figures I've seen for maximum tph possible on each section post-Battersea show the Morden section achieving 4 tph more than is possible than via either Bank or Charing Cross, so, assuming Morden to Kennington shorts are impossible to schedule, 4 tph from Morden would still have to travel via Charing Cross in the peaks thus suggesting (to me, anyway) the unlikelihood of the creation of two separate names. It just might help TfL save face too if the Battersea extension proves to be poorly used, especially outside the peaks, which I think is a distinct possibility.

LiftFan

Depends, the Northern City Line is the name given when LU had it during the Moorgate disaster, and a lot of people still know that branch to be the Northern City Line not the Moorgate branch.

Mikey C

Established Member
You've done a fine job with this map, but to me it shows that the whole nature of the Tube map needs to be rethought, as squeezing in services which go way outside London makes the map unreadable and the eastern section in particular horrendously misleading geographically. The Central section is becoming too crowded

After all on the current London Connections map (or whatever it's officially called now) the likes of Reading and Gravesend don't appear in the "London" side, but only in the South East side.

I also suspect that Thameslink will appear in some form on the Tube Map once the full service opens, it would be nonsense to not include a high frequency cross London service just because it doesn't come under TfL.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I'm surprised the Turnham Green pitchfork mob haven't shown up on this thread yet, or asked constantly for the exact date when the Piccadilly takes over the Ealing Broadway branch. :lol:
Wouldn't it be amusing to hear that, in return for taking over the Ealing Broadway branch, Piccadilly trains would no longer be planned to call at Turnham Green?;)

Ambient Sheep

Some fun news! The Tube map found its way into Londonist and the Evening Standard.

Congratulations!

But a big old facepalm for the E.S. highlighting "Northern line: The unofficial map shows a possible extension to Battersea Power Station" when it's about the most definite thing on there as it's now mostly built... you'd think they'd know better!!

By the way, what's the evidence for the Bakerloo going past Lewisham? Last I heard they were definitely going no further for the time being. I guess I missed a meeting. :)

Ali.Carr

But a big old facepalm for the E.S. highlighting "Northern line: The unofficial map shows a possible extension to Battersea Power Station" when it's about the most definite thing on there as it's now mostly built... you'd think they'd know better!!
I noticed this too! I'd be interested to know how many Londoners know about the Northern line extension - I'd envisage it being a very small number. I'd suspect a very big proportion of Londoners don't even know about Crossrail.

By the way, what's the evidence for the Bakerloo going past Lewisham? Last I heard they were definitely going no further for the time being. I guess I missed a meeting. :)
The extension east of Lewisham is mentioned here (and in a few other places) in the transport strategy:
d7b6ccbec1f1cb63794460bbb6bbd2a7.png
You're totally right that the focus now is on the bit up to Lewisham - if I was going to be more thorough with the map I should probably have made clearer the timeline / relative likelihoods for the different lines and extensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.