• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2040 Tube Map

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebmcr

Established Member
I can't quite catch what she's saying in the middle of that announcement, and I've even tried headphones, to no avail.

"Customers requiring... ??? ...should contact the driver using the passenger alarm."

Anybody have any ideas?

Sounds like "Customers requiring {boarding pass} to alight," but I daresay it'll be for mobility assistance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ambient Sheep

It is indeed, now you've said it. Thanks everybody. :)

Given that I accompany a wheelchair user on the tube about once a month, it's even more worrying that I couldn't work it out...

Chris M

For example, from my experience, the Jubilee Line tends to be significantly less busy north of West Hampstead, with the only exception being when events are on at Wembley, while the DLR also duplicates the Canning Town-Stratford section. With no new trains on order anymore for the Jubilee Line, a larger proportion of services could be revised to operate between North Greenwich and West Hampstead/Wembley Park, increasing the frequency through the core section. Trains are very frequent at stations between Kingsbury and Stanmore and there is not the demand at most times.
While you are correct about the western end of the Jubilee line, the eastern end is very busy all the way to Stratford. The principle reason any trains reverse at North Greenwich is that there isn't the capacity to reverse the full service at Stratford. Especially in the evening peak there is comparatively little westbound demand from North Greenwich so these mostly empty trains are very useful for the crowds at Canary Wharf, although after Canada Water the loadings are pretty much identical.

rebmcr

Established Member
While you are correct about the western end of the Jubilee line, the eastern end is very busy all the way to Stratford. The principle reason any trains reverse at North Greenwich is that there isn't the capacity to reverse the full service at Stratford. Especially in the evening peak there is comparatively little westbound demand from North Greenwich so these mostly empty trains are very useful for the crowds at Canary Wharf, although after Canada Water the loadings are pretty much identical.

The Thames crossing between North Greenwich and Canning Town is also a key link, with a lot of traffic both for the local area, and for the DLR branches.

vanillasplash

Surely XRail 2 will extend to Stansted Airport, after a rough calculation it's similar mileage from Broxbourne to Stansted much like West Drayton - Reading

I am certain it will facilitate a lot of southerners dying for a cheap holiday to magaluf without the sardine underground

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Surely XRail 2 will extend to Stansted Airport, after a rough calculation it's similar mileage from Broxbourne to Stansted much like West Drayton - Reading

Crossrail 1 only goes to Reading as there would otherwise have to be a Didcot to Maidenhead service.

I am certain it will facilitate a lot of southerners dying for a cheap holiday to magaluf without the sardine underground

It doesn't have to go to Stansted to facilitate that. There isn't capacity at Stansted to take Crossrail 2 services in any case.

Not sure how this relates to the 2040 tube map. Moreover, does putting Stansted on the tube map make a difference?

NBC Soap Oper

On Moderation
Oh like wow OP - this is amazing, so different and bigger to playing my beloved 2London Game" as a kid!!!

It is a great great share - thank-you

SynthD

Enfield Lock is the last station in London. Measure from there instead.

busesrusuk

Enfield Lock is the last station in London. Measure from there instead.

This is a great map of what the system will look like in the future. Coming to this a bit late, and reading through all the various posts, one thing that hasn't been considered/commented on is potential closures between now and 2040.

Could any of the network actually close between now and 2040? the redevelopment of Heathrow could result in T4 being closed whilst the dangelway (cable car) is one of those vanity projects that may not have a long term future especially when current equipment becomes life expired and in need of expensive upgrade/replacement...

I see there has been much talk about the proposed splitting of the Northern line and possible renaming of one or both of the branches. personally I like the idea of the Charing X branch being renamed the Hampstead Line ;)

Flinn Reed

This is a great map of what the system will look like in the future. Coming to this a bit late, and reading through all the various posts, one thing that hasn't been considered/commented on is potential closures between now and 2040.

Could any of the network actually close between now and 2040? the redevelopment of Heathrow could result in T4 being closed whilst the dangelway (cable car) is one of those vanity projects that may not have a long term future especially when current equipment becomes life expired and in need of expensive upgrade/replacement...

I see there has been much talk about the proposed splitting of the Northern line and possible renaming of one or both of the branches. personally I like the idea of the Charing X branch being renamed the Hampstead Line ;)

Regarding a possible Northern line split, I agree about naming the Edgware-Battersea section the 'Hampstead line', after the Hampstead Railway.

If the Northern line were to be split, I think neither section should retain the original name, to avoid confusion - plus Northern line is midleading when some of the route runs into South London too. Perhaps 'City Line' for the Barnet-Morden route (via Bank) - based on the City & South London Railway.

rebmcr

Established Member
If the Northern line were to be split, I think neither section should retain the original name, to avoid confusion - plus Northern line is midleading when some of the route runs into South London too. Perhaps 'City Line' for the Barnet-Morden route (via Bank) - based on the City & South London Railway.

That also risks a clash with the H&C and W&C lines (which honestly are already less-than-ideal).

Perhaps the King Line — a neat reference to the original King William Street terminus, is on the branch serving King's Cross, and sufficiently 'London-y' to please the tourism sector.

Though, it would pretty much force the CX branch to be named the Queen Line but without any obvious reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.