• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

20mph Mirfield - Wakefield

Status
Not open for further replies.

6Gman

Established Member
Somebody has told me that the open access trains that run this way (GC to Bradford?) are restricted to 20mph on this section. Is that true? And if so, why?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfowkes

On RTT, at least for today, it looks like they cover the distance (9 miles 30 chains) in about 14 minutes, give or take, which is an average speed of 43mph.

So if it is true, it's not true all the time.

Spartacus

Established Member
This morning's did it in 12, so I think that can be firmly described as being what was left all over the running lines at Nuneaton the other day ;):D:lol:

Backroom_boy

It certainly feels like it crawls along in that section, though whether that is because of line speed or the signalling I dont know

Mollman

Established Member
Somebody has told me that the open access trains that run this way (GC to Bradford?) are restricted to 20mph on this section. Is that true? And if so, why?
It is GVC to Bradford but Northern also operate a Huddersfield - Wakefield service. According to the Sectional Appendix there is a short section of 40 mph on the Down line at the south end of Healey Mills yard and in the up direction there is a short section of two track (fast / slow) where the slow line is 20 mph but I suspect passenger trains are not routed over that short section regularly.

geoffk

Established Member
The worst section on the Grand Central route is from Wakefield (Calder Bridge Jn) to Oakenshaw Jn, much of it being 20 mph if I remember correctly.

Crossover

Established Member
Unless there is a TSR or something, GC run relatively quickly on the line between Mirfield and Wakefield Kirkgate. Kirkgate on to Pontefract is a bit of a stagger though

geoffk

Established Member
Unless there is a TSR or something, GC run relatively quickly on the line between Mirfield and Wakefield Kirkgate. Kirkgate on to Pontefract is a bit of a stagger though
Calder Bridge Jn to Oakenshaw Jn is 20 mph, if I remember correctly.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I wonder if the source of confusion is a particular service being timed for a slow run for pathing reasons, and averaging 20mph as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.