2118 Newcastle-Carlisle violence 8/8/15

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by 175001, 10 Aug 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 175001

175001 Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVNwW4jKeOk

One of 6 short videos of violence breaking out on the infamous 2118 out of Newcastle

despicable behavior

Guard was assaulted too according to the uploader, my thoughts go out to him, his driver and the innocent passengers who were indirectly involved in this.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. misterredmist

misterredmist Member

Oh dear , low life....... hopefully nobody was badly hurt and may be CCTV can sort the wheat from the chaff....

4. bradders1983

bradders1983 Member

Why is it "infamous"? 2118 doesnt seem that late for a so called "party train".

5. sprinterguy

sprinterguy Established Member

It is the last train on a Saturday night to serve stations out west of Prudhoe towards Carlisle.

The north east of England has little in the way of late evening rail services.

6. 175001

175001 Member

7. Carlisle

Carlisle Established Member

All those farmers that can't handle their drink :D

8. suzanneparis

suzanneparis Member

Would it be an idea, for the safety of staff and innocent passengers, that we have a system to breathalyse people before being allowed on board.

9. headshot119

headshot119 Established Member

No absolutely not. I can have plenty to drink, fail a breathalyzer test but I'd be absolutely no trouble at all on a train. Not everyone who drinks then travels by train is a problem.

10. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

Indeed. I'd just prefer that anyone who gets violent or disorderly from drink (whether on a train or otherwise) is, as a minimum, chucked in the cells overnight without fail. They may eventually get the idea then.

11. SPADTrap

SPADTrap Established Member

Don't include that in your new railway! :razz:

12. 61653 HTAFC

61653 HTAFC Established Member

Unfortunately there's no test to distinguish the "happy drunk" from the "angry drunk"...

There may be a use for 142s after 2020 though: couple one to the back of the better unit that runs the late-night service, patrolled by a BTP officer who is built like a brick outhouse. Anyone who fails the breathalyser goes on the Pacer, those who are sober get to travel in relative comfort... ;)

13. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Forum Staff Staff Member Global Moderator

The 2150 is another 'fun' train as it's the last Newcastle to Darlington/Thornaby/Middlesbrough service so on a Saturday night is often very rowdy. The one time I've done it myself the guard kept themselves locked away in middle of the train (it was formed of two 156s) and I don't blame them at all! Would have been nice if they'd invited those of us that were sober to join them mind you :lol:

14. ItsGrimUpNorth

ItsGrimUpNorth Member

They originally made the 2118 booze free, so folk started getting the 1920, which in turn became booze free too. The actions of the minority ruin it for all as usual.

It's the same on the last West Cumbrian train from Carlisle on a Saturday!

On a wider theme, the 2 Car 142's are woefully inadequate for the volume of traffic on the Tyne Valley line on a weekend!

15. Stats

Stats Member

BTP are appealing for witnesses

media.btp.police.uk/r/11884/appeal_for_witnesses_after_fight_on_newcastle_to_

16. billio

billio Member

People behaving so badly would not be allowed on a bus. They would end up in prison if they did that on an aeroplane. I suppose the issue with trains is that the police are not in a position to attend the train when it stops at the next station.

17. Carlisle

Carlisle Established Member

The last train on a Saturday night from Carlisle to Dumfries has also had its share of problems for a number of years

Last edited: 20 Aug 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.