• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

225 Studios Cab Rides

Status
Not open for further replies.

pt_mad

Established Member
Does anyone have any of these?

Bought two this week (3 discs as one is a double) and they are both skipping about every minute or so. By looking at the back of the disc it looks like they've been burned on a PC as the laser has left an imprint on half the disc.

I have some Runfurrow cab rides which do the same but the guy openly burns them himself at home. With 225 studios being £26 for some of the discs I thought it would be a professional burn.

Anyone else experienced this?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
No takers? :(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
225 is a home operation. However I have 7 or 8 discs from them and they are all fine.

I'd suggest contacting them as you may have a dodgy disc.

The Informer

Does anyone have any of these?

Bought two this week (3 discs as one is a double) and they are both skipping about every minute or so. By looking at the back of the disc it looks like they've been burned on a PC as the laser has left an imprint on half the disc.

I have some Runfurrow cab rides which do the same but the guy openly burns them himself at home. With 225 studios being £26 for some of the discs I thought it would be a professional burn.

Anyone else experienced this?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
No takers? :(

I have a cab pass and it works fine for me! ;)

pt_mad

Established Member
Problem is all three of the discs I have been sent are doing it.

Nym

Established Member
He could have just had a dodgy batch of blanks, (happened to me a few times) just contact the seller to get them replaced (Distance Selling Regulations)

pt_mad

Established Member
He could have just had a dodgy batch of blanks, (happened to me a few times) just contact the seller to get them replaced (Distance Selling Regulations)

I have now contacted Paul (Director of 225) and at the moment he is saying it couldn't be the discs as he uses the most expensive DVDRs available. He says I must have a faulty lazer in my player.

This can't be right though as all my other DVDs, films etc and Video125 cab rides work fine. I have also played the 225 on the Playstation and its still sticking.

Got a feeling this might be hard work!

Nym

Established Member
Was it baught with Paypal or eBay? Or was it by another site / method?

Distance selling regulations state it's his problem not yours, and the price of DVDR discs makes sod all difference to potentially getting dodgy batches.

pt_mad

Established Member
Was it baught with Paypal or eBay? Or was it by another site / method?

Distance selling regulations state it's his problem not yours, and the price of DVDR discs makes sod all difference to potentially getting dodgy batches.

Thanks for the reply. I emailed him directly on the email address given on his site, negotiated two discs for £40.00 by email (totalled £48.00 through his website checkout) and he agreed. He asked for a cheque payable to '225 Studios' which I sent to the website's address. He then dispatched the cab rides but did not provide a receipt.

Do I have any rights?

Nym

Established Member
Yep, it just means you'll need to use The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 Act rather than Paypal or eBay's Terms and Conditions, this actually works in your favour as I have just had a quick look and he does not specify any terms and conditions on his website (that needs to be done) so this comes very much into your benifit.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governm...ionsthatcanchangeyourconsumerrights/DG_183048

and

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2000/2334/contents/made

The law is very much on your side because of this, him not providing a recipt is irelivant, if the cheque has been cashed by him your bank will have details of the account holder to whom it was cashed, I would recomend asking your bank for a copy of the cheque before this is removed from their available records, NatWest I know have no issues with this if you ask nicely in branch.

The seller is required to recover and replace faulty goods at their own cost as this was not specified in the conditions of sale, as there ARE NO conditions of sale, and it is not your problem to prove their faulty, it's his problem to prove the're not. If you continue to have problems, contact consumer direct and you can proberbly take him to small claims court.

I would recomend contacting him and stating in no indefinate terms that the goods are faulty and you want a repair/replacement product,and see what he says from that, and gather as much evidence about the lack of T&Cs as possible, click the Terms and Conditions page and print off that it says you need to ask for it, and he won't have a leg to stand on in court if it ends up there. Further advice can be gained from Consumer Direct, on the number on direct.gov.uk, you're in the right, he's in the wrong and as the seller and therefore that who did not draft the contract, all ambiguities (the whole contract of sale) is in your favour. And defaults to the Distance Selling Regs, that say it's HIS problem, and HE needs to pay postage to have this faulty product recovered, if he wants them recovering, and MUST provide a repair / replacement.

pt_mad

Established Member
Yep, it just means you'll need to use The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 Act rather than Paypal or eBay's Terms and Conditions, this actually works in your favour as I have just had a quick look and he does not specify any terms and conditions on his website (that needs to be done) so this comes very much into your benifit.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governm...ionsthatcanchangeyourconsumerrights/DG_183048

and

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2000/2334/contents/made

The law is very much on your side because of this, him not providing a recipt is irelivant, if the cheque has been cashed by him your bank will have details of the account holder to whom it was cashed, I would recomend asking your bank for a copy of the cheque before this is removed from their available records, NatWest I know have no issues with this if you ask nicely in branch.

The seller is required to recover and replace faulty goods at their own cost as this was not specified in the conditions of sale, as there ARE NO conditions of sale, and it is not your problem to prove their faulty, it's his problem to prove the're not. If you continue to have problems, contact consumer direct and you can proberbly take him to small claims court.

Ahh very informative thanks very much. Obviously I hope it can be resolved without any problems, but no offers made yet as I say. Maybe he thinks as we negotiated via email it means nothing.

Basically though for £40.00 for two cab rides I expected a professional job, up to the standards of V125 in regards to the discs themselves.
The footage etc cannot be faulted and if it had been burned by a professional DVD pressing company the whole thing would be flawless.
Some of the cab rides are £26 online and with it being called 'Studios' you automatically expect a professional commercial standard job.

Problem is now, this thread is coming up as the forth result after a google search of '225 Studios' which is a bit awkward.

Nym

Established Member
Doesn't matter if you paid £1,000,000 or £0.01 for it, the seller is bound by distance selling regulations...

And how does this thread coming up present problems, he should have resolved the matter correctly within the line of the law, and setup his site correctly... (Print them things I mentioned ASAP, print them as PDFs if you want to save paper, cutePDF or PDF Creator on Surgeforce will do it for you)

pt_mad

Established Member
Doesn't matter if you paid £1,000,000 or £0.01 for it, the seller is bound by distance selling regulations...

And how does this thread coming up present problems, he should have resolved the matter correctly within the line of the law, and setup his site correctly... (Print them things I mentioned ASAP, print them as PDFs if you want to save paper, cutePDF or PDF Creator on Surgeforce will do it for you)

As in convert the page to a PDF for my records and save it?

anthony263

Established Member
I have had some dvd's from 225 studio's however I much prefer video 125 DEV's.

That said I did have dvd from 225 studio's that played up however they were quick to replace it once I emailed them explaining the problem.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I like all sorts of vendors to be honest, I don't have a preference.

Video 125 are good, they cut bits out yes but in some cases like on the GEML or other mainlines, it does a favour of cutting out the irrelevant bits. I can see why as it's mainly to view bits of interest and to have narration on points of interest, which is why I like watching them.

For thrashy videos, I like Locomaster Profiles. I know they get a lot of stick for missing this and that out but as I see it, I don't think the idea is to have a full blown cab ride, but is there for the noise. I do prefer that they cut downhill gradients and stick with more of the steeper inclines.

225 studios are good for viewing the whole line. For me these are generally my local ones. Not much interested in the whole collection. I did actually have a return to Walton-on-Naze video (not my area) but I nearly fell asleep going there and didn't bother with the return, was too boring for me! Otherwise I do find them handy if you need to make a route in a simulator or something, all the signals and sign info are all in view.

Railscene I buy for nostalgia, seeing the Bristol - Padd in the early 90's, Euston - Liverpool in the proper days, Sheffield - Cleethorpes in a 142 with 1st gen carts and grids still around and Portsmouth - Cardiff in the 80s in a Class 33 (worth a watch that!)

Never had any problems with any of the discs from any of the above vendors to be honest

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I've only ever bought one DVD from 225 Studios, of the Central Line. I had the old version from Video 125 but wanted to see the Woodford-Hainault loop and the West Ruislip branch and the film did the job, the new V125 production covers both of these in better quality and with narration, which I prefer. There were no problems with the 225 DVD though, played fine.

I have been tempted to order some of the Lincolnshire lines that 225 have produced.

Tubeboy

I have many 225 titles. I agree with heart of Wessex, I buy many of these films from multiple vendors. Depends on your interest in the line depicted. Video 125 are the best by a long margin. Commentary, properly shot and edited. Researched for months prior to filming etc. 225, bloke films line then burns onto a blank disc. But strangely charges a lot more than V125!!!

Only ever had problems with 225 once. Bought it from Motor Books. Replacement didn't work. Swapped it for a different route, that worked.

Just bought two of their titles. Crianlarich to Oban and Bishop Auckland to Saltburn on a nodding Donkey

Status
Not open for further replies.