• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

22nd February - Roadmap out of the pandemic, lifting of restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

initiation

I would then go further, and suggest that formalising this as a lockdown mitigated the economic harm, by making the effect on businesses less random.

Counteracted by the fact that lockdowns unnecessarily have a long tail in the name of being "cautious". Does anyone think that considering cases are so low we wouldn't have had a very busy domestic holiday sector through March and April? Or that no one would have gone to the pub pre-July last year?

The support is very low for some sectors. Furlough only covers one (albeit important) aspect of business.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kristiang85

Established Member
There is no way the IFR is anywhere near 2% and no amount of cherry picking of data is going to change that.

I've edited my earlier post to include links to, and quotes from, numerous sources which indicate how a number of compounding factors are massively reducing the seroprevalence estimates.

You are deliberately overestimating the IFR (by a factor of about four at least), which is presumably to justify harsh restrictions and to induce more fear into the population?

Given the IFR is clearly far lower than the 2% you claim it is, this completely undermines your argument, which appears to hinge on vastly inflated IFR estimates.

Not to mention that the IFR is going down by the day the more vaccinations are given out. But it was never at 2%, that is a ridiculous assertion.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I believe that the influence of pro restriction lobbyists is preventing any earlier easing of restrictions.

Boris had said "data not dates" but clearly the dates are not changing despite the data being far better than predicted.

The authoritarians are really annoyed at losing their grip over society, and are desperately trying to scare people with disinformation, such as over inflating the IFR by underestimating the seroprevalance as well as casting doubt on the effectively of vaccines.

Seeing these crazed individuals become increasingly desperate on Twitter really shows how much of a cult it is and how unstoppable their authoritarian urges are.

quantinghome

Established Member
And I've posted data from a Government site which clearly disproves your claim that only 8 million people were infected.
You posted a link which indicates around 5 to 6 million additional people in England were infected from end of september to mid-january. That is consistent with 8 million new infections throughout the UK from end of September up to now, which is consistent with the 4 million cases recorded by the government testing system from end of September up to now, assuming it is only picking up half of all infections.

I think you are deliberately distorting and cherry picking data in order to back up the absurd 2% infection fatality rate claim, which is massively inflated. I've not seen any reputable source claim that the IFR is anywhere near as high as that.

There is no way the IFR is anywhere near 2% and no amount of cherry picking of data is going to change that.
Not to mention that the IFR is going down by the day the more vaccinations are given out. But it was never at 2%, that is a ridiculous assertion.
Again, if you read my posts you'll see I never claimed a 2% infection fatality rate. I said that the covid dashboard data gives a recorded deaths to recorded cases ratio of 2%, for the period starting at the end of September up to the present. I then said that the recorded cases would certainly be an underestimate of total infections, probably picking up only around half of cases, so the fatality rate would be more like 1%. This is consistent with the Imperial College paper I referenced.

Yes now it is probably about half, I'd agree, but earlier it was far, far higher.
Agreement at last. Yes, the testing regime didn't pick up anything close to the actual number of infections until the autumn when it had scaled up sufficiently.

Only in recent weeks would we be picking up as many as that.
Any evidence for this?

Purple Orange

On Moderation
There is an awful lot of hyperbolic language being used on this thread. Needless if I say so myself. One aspect that is not being considered in the rhetoric is the effect on hospitals. Any risk to seeing an increase in infection rate also increases the number of people requiring hospitalisation. While the proportion of people who are hospitalised are a small proportion of total infections, they do indeed have a big impact upon hospital capacity. And by hospital capacity, I’m not referring to the Nightingale hospitals, which are a secondary line of defence for NHS trusts, but the capacity to run wards across the permanent Acute hospitals. Indeed it is the impact on hospitals and to prevent them from being overrun that lockdowns were intended to alleviate.

Dent

One aspect that is not being considered in the rhetoric is the effect on hospitals. Any risk to seeing an increase in infection rate also increases the number of people requiring hospitalisation.

No it doesn't, because the link between cases and hospital admissions has been broken by vaccination of the vulnerable groups.

Bantamzen

Established Member
There is an awful lot of hyperbolic language being used on this thread. Needless if I say so myself. One aspect that is not being considered in the rhetoric is the effect on hospitals. Any risk to seeing an increase in infection rate also increases the number of people requiring hospitalisation. While the proportion of people who are hospitalised are a small proportion of total infections, they do indeed have a big impact upon hospital capacity. And by hospital capacity, I’m not referring to the Nightingale hospitals, which are a secondary line of defence for NHS trusts, but the capacity to run wards across the permanent Acute hospitals. Indeed it is the impact on hospitals and to prevent them from being overrun that lockdowns were intended to alleviate.
There have been estimates that the cost of covid restrictions are at £300 billion, possibly way higher. The 2019-2020 budget for the whole NHS was £141 billion. And there have been an estimated 4.5 million cancelled operations, procedures etc, not to mention as yet unidentified incidents of serious illnesses whose diagnoses have been effectively delayed.

We've already seen the first effects of the health services becoming worried about future costs, with many healthcare staff being offered a 1% pay rise (down from an anticipated 2%), and as discussed elsewhere GP surgeries showing signs that they are going to become more inaccessible. So let's flip the question back and ask, what effect do you image a prolonged period of austerity forced by a lack of tax revenue combined with vast increases in the cost of covid mitigation are going to have over the coming decades.

I suspect this isn't the debate you were hoping for, but thankfully these forums are not echo chambers but places were people debate & discuss.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You posted a link which indicates around 5 to 6 million additional people in England were infected from end of september to mid-january. That is consistent with 8 million new infections throughout the UK from end of September up to now, which is consistent with the 4 million cases recorded by the government testing system from end of September up to now, assuming it is only picking up half of all infections.

Again, if you read my posts you'll see I never claimed a 2% infection fatality rate. I said that the covid dashboard data gives a recorded deaths to recorded cases ratio of 2%, for the period starting at the end of September up to the present. I then said that the recorded cases would certainly be an underestimate of total infections, probably picking up only around half of cases, so the fatality rate would be more like 1%. This is consistent with the Imperial College paper I referenced.
OK we'll argue over 1% not 2%; it's going to be far less than 1%.

Agreement at last. Yes, the testing regime didn't pick up anything close to the actual number of infections until the autumn when it had scaled up sufficiently.
But still a huge underestimate in Autumn in my opinion.

Any evidence for this?
It is only since schools went back that we have had a really huge increase in testing. It's noticeable that the rate of decrease in cases slowed when testing capacity was massively increased. At the end of the day, neither of us knows what proportion of cases are being picked up, but it is clear to me that it started as an absolutely tiny percentage and has been increasing ever since.

There is an awful lot of hyperbolic language being used on this thread.
Yes by people who are pro-restrictions! Those of us who are better informed are at the end of our tethers dealing with scaremongering from vaccine effectiveness deniers and others who seek to restrict our lives for an indeterminable length of time.

Needless if I say so myself. One aspect that is not being considered in the rhetoric is the effect on hospitals. Any risk to seeing an increase in infection rate also increases the number of people requiring hospitalisation.
Are you denying the effectiveness of the vaccines?

While the proportion of people who are hospitalised are a small proportion of total infections, they do indeed have a big impact upon hospital capacity. And by hospital capacity, I’m not referring to the Nightingale hospitals, which are a secondary line of defence for NHS trusts, but the capacity to run wards across the permanent Acute hospitals. Indeed it is the impact on hospitals and to prevent them from being overrun that lockdowns were intended to alleviate.
Are you making the false claim that hospitals could become overwhelmed any time soon? Given the incredible rate of vaccination, and the high take up, I can only assume you are denying the effectiveness of vaccines? If so, I would have to question why this is?

brad465

Established Member
The ONS have released statistics on covid and depression, and there is a very clear increase in experiencing depression symptoms, to the point of January-March 2021 being 21% of adults, double pre-covid levels:

www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/wellbeing/articles/coronavirusanddepressioninadultsgreatbritain/januarytomarch2021

• Around 1 in 5 (21%) adults experienced some form of depression in early 2021 (27 January to 7 March); this is an increase since November 2020 (19%) and more than double that observed before the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic (10%).
  • Around 1 in 3 (35%) adults who reported being unable to afford an unexpected expense of £850 experienced depressive symptoms in early 2021, compared with 1 in 5 (21%) adults before the pandemic; for adults who were able to afford this expense, rates increased from 5% to 13%.
Over the period 27 January to 7 March 2021:

• Younger adults and women were more likely to experience some form of depression, with over 4 in 10 (43%) women aged 16 to 29 years experiencing depressive symptoms, compared with 26% of men of the same age.
  • Disabled (39%) and clinically extremely vulnerable (CEV) adults (31%) were more likely to experience some form of depression than non-disabled (13%) and non-CEV adults (20%).
  • A higher proportion of adults renting their home experienced some form of depression (31%) when compared with adults who own their home outright (13%).
  • Almost 3 in 10 (28%) adults living in the most deprived areas of England experienced depressive symptoms; this compares with just under 2 in 10 (17%) adults in the least deprived areas of England.

1620213806009.png

This looks very worrying, and even if suicide rates don't go up much, depression reduces productivity and has other burdens on society that will be impacting us for a while to come.

There was another study released at the same time reporting GP diagnosed depressions were down nearly 30%, which will be a reflection on difficulty accessing support, and compounds the news depression symptoms have shot up.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The ONS have released statistics on covid and depression, and there is a very clear increase in experiencing depression symptoms, to the point of January-March 2021 being 21% of adults, double pre-covid levels:

www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/wellbeing/articles/coronavirusanddepressioninadultsgreatbritain/januarytomarch2021

This looks very worrying, and even if suicide rates don't go up much, depression reduces productivity and has other burdens on society that will be impacting us for a while to come.
I agree this is a huge concern, but pro-restriction authoritariains just sweep such concerns under the carpet. There is no reasoning with them whatsoever.

Bantamzen

Established Member

View attachment 95570

And this will only be the tip of the iceberg, I' sure there will be many more. In fact I recently read somewhere that the NSPCC had seen a huge rise in contact from children, which is very, very worrying indeed.

kristiang85

Established Member

Sorry, I did skim read a few pages of this thread as I wasn't on much yesterday so I might have missed some of your detail. OK that paper does seem to correlate roughly with the WHO's (Ioannidis) findings in March 2021... https://www.researchgate.net/public...of_COVID-19_inferred_from_seroprevalence_data

Infection fatality rates ranged from 0.00% to 1.63%, corrected values from 0.00% to 1.54%. Across 51 locations, the median COVID-19 infection fatality rate was 0.27% (corrected 0.23%): the rate was 0.09% in locations with COVID-19 population mortality rates less than the global average (< 118 deaths/million), 0.20% in locations with 118-500 COVID-19 deaths/million people and 0.57% in locations with > 500 COVID-19 deaths/million people. In people younger than 70 years, infection fatality rates ranged from 0.00% to 0.31% with crude and corrected medians of 0.05%. Conclusion: The infection fatality rate of COVID-19 can vary substantially across different locations and this may reflect differences in population age structure and case-mix of infected and deceased patients and other factors. The inferred infection fatality rates tended to be much lower than estimates made earlier in the pandemic.

However, this is indeed skewed towards older populations, and it doesn't take into account that the 'weakest' might have died in the first year of a novel pathogen, and rates could come down substantially after that in coming seasons. There are so many variables. 1% is the absolute maximum; likely this will be less in reality. Given that death rates have been well below average for weeks now, I definitely think we are seeing a 'harvester effect' (a demographic term, not me being insensitive) to prove that many of those who sadly died probably would have succombed anyway (about 30% of Uk deaths have been in care homes, and given the average stay in a care home is 15 months - and stays are generally ended by mortality of the individual - you can see the problem here).

This feeds into the lockdown debate, and why should we persist with lockdowns/restrictions that affect everybody, disproportionately affecting the young, who are being much more harmed by policy than they are likely to be by the virus? Especially when, if you look at the graphs I posted on the previous page, the lockdowns don't have much effect anyway on mortality?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
And this will only be the tip of the iceberg, I' sure there will be many more. In fact I recently read somewhere that the NSPCC had seen a huge rise in contact from children, which is very, very worrying indeed.
School closures were absolutely scandalous and very damaging for children. I have a dim view of anyone who thought that was a good idea. Things are much better now but there are still many limitations on children which continues to affect their development and both physical and mental wellbeing.

There is no point beating about the bush; the time for niceties is over. Anyone who objects to a return to normal by the end of next month is downright dangerous as well as ignorant in my opinion.

Darandio

Established Member

Indeed, although I still expect this to be brushed off by certain contributors to this thread and those elsewhere given they have previously posted statistics showing that actual suicide rates haven't risen during the past 12 months. They genuinely believe that because of these statistics that there isn't a mental health crisis unfolding.

This issue is a long game and cannot be simply dismissed by statistics for the last year. Developing issues from the past 14 months or so will take lives for decades to come.

Bantamzen

Established Member
School closures were absolutely scandalous and very damaging for children. I have a dim view of anyone who thought that was a good idea. Things are much better now but there are still many limitations on children which continues to affect their development and both physical and mental wellbeing.

There is no point beating about the bush; the time for niceties is over. Anyone who objects to a return to normal by the end of next month is downright dangerous as well as ignorant in my opinion.
I totally agree, and I have taken just such a stance on my social media feed (I remain somewhat more reserved here, seriously!! ;) ).

kristiang85

Established Member
Indeed, although I still expect this to be brushed off by certain contributors to this thread and those elsewhere given they have previously posted statistics showing that actual suicide rates haven't risen during the past 12 months. They genuinely believe that because of these statistics that there isn't a mental health crisis unfolding.

I read in the last week or so (can't remember if it was on here or on Twitter) that the data collection for suicides in the past year is delayed, so we should not take the current figures as correct, but it will become clearer later in the year when the full data is in.

philosopher

Established Member
I agree this is a huge concern, but pro-restriction authoritariains just sweep such concerns under the carpet. There is no reasoning with them whatsoever.
Or those who are pro restriction will instead go on saying how half the population have had a great time over the last year baking sourdough bread or listening to the birds sing!

Purple Orange

On Moderation
No it doesn't, because the link between cases and hospital admissions has been broken by vaccination of the vulnerable groups.

In the context of why we have had lockdowns these past 12 months it is relevant. However going forward, vaccination changes this I agree.

nlogax

Established Member
Or those who are pro restriction will instead go on saying how half the population have had a great time over the last year baking sourdough bread or listening to the birds sing!

Who is saying this? Genuinely.. I don't see it. Have I set my social media Hadrian's Wall so perfectly that these people never appear?

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Yes by people who are pro-restrictions! Those of us who are better informed are at the end of our tethers dealing with scaremongering from vaccine effectiveness deniers and others who seek to restrict our lives for an indeterminable length of time.

Are you denying the effectiveness of the vaccines?

Are you making the false claim that hospitals could become overwhelmed any time soon? Given the incredible rate of vaccination, and the high take up, I can only assume you are denying the effectiveness of vaccines? If so, I would have to question why this is?

Are you genuinely for real?
  1. I am not denying the effectiveness of the vaccine. I never will and never have. It is important to be vaccinated and I have had my first dose, while awaiting my second dose. I encourage everyone to be vaccinated.
  2. My comment about the effect on hospital capacity is in the context of reasons why we have had lockdowns during the last 12 months.
  3. If you are so well read in the field, what are your qualifications on the subject matter?
I think you are seeking to deliberately provoke a reaction and I ask that you rescind your comments about me, especially concerning vaccination efficacy.

brad465

Established Member

The BBC are now (amazingly) giving coverage to this report:

Women and younger adults were more likely to feel depressed during the second UK coronavirus peak than men and other age groups, Office for National Statistics (ONS) data suggests.

Four in 10 women aged between 16 and 29 were affected, compared to 26% of men.

One in five adults experienced depression in early 2021 - more than double pre-pandemic levels.

But GPs in England diagnosed fewer cases of depression in adults in 2020 compared with the year before.

Many people may not be seeking medical help, the ONS says.

However, the GP data - from March to August 2020 - may not include people who went to their GP last summer and were diagnosed with depression at a later point.

Before the pandemic began, 10% of adults said they experienced some form of depression.

Last autumn, following the first peak, ONS data suggested twice as many adults in Britain (19%) had feelings of depression as normal - and this new data suggests even more people were affected in early 2021 (21%).

This means they experienced symptoms including a lack of energy, poor appetite, sleeping problems or feeling down or hopeless.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Are you genuinely for real?
  1. I am not denying the effectiveness of the vaccine. I never will and never have. It is important to be vaccinated and I have had my first dose, while awaiting my second dose. I encourage everyone to be vaccinated.
  2. My comment about the effect on hospital capacity is in the context of reasons why we have had lockdowns during the last 12 months.
  3. If you are so well read in the field, what are your qualifications on the subject matter?
I think you are seeking to deliberately provoke a reaction and I ask that you rescind your comments about me, especially concerning vaccination efficacy.
When you said things like "Any risk to seeing an increase in infection rate also increases the number of people requiring hospitalisation" it was not clear you were referring to the past tense!

I am glad to hear that you no longer believe this statement you made to be true at this point!

Given your correction and your clarification that you agree with me that the vaccines are highly effective and there is no need for such draconian measures to be rescinded, I am glad to accept you are not denying the effectiveness of vaccines and relieved to hear it :)

My recommendation in future is that if you no longer believe something to be true, it is best to use the past tense, and that would avoid talking at cross purposes :)

Purple Orange

On Moderation
There have been estimates that the cost of covid restrictions are at £300 billion, possibly way higher. The 2019-2020 budget for the whole NHS was £141 billion. And there have been an estimated 4.5 million cancelled operations, procedures etc, not to mention as yet unidentified incidents of serious illnesses whose diagnoses have been effectively delayed.

We've already seen the first effects of the health services becoming worried about future costs, with many healthcare staff being offered a 1% pay rise (down from an anticipated 2%), and as discussed elsewhere GP surgeries showing signs that they are going to become more inaccessible. So let's flip the question back and ask, what effect do you image a prolonged period of austerity forced by a lack of tax revenue combined with vast increases in the cost of covid mitigation are going to have over the coming decades.

I suspect this isn't the debate you were hoping for, but thankfully these forums are not echo chambers but places were people debate & discuss.

I think the effect upon the NHS is a very important debate to have (I’m unsure what debate you think I was looking for, but my comment was simply to raise the issue in the context of lockdowns).

I’ll be clear from the start that I don’t want more lockdowns than necessary - I hope we get through to June 21st and find ourselves in a restriction free world.

However from the perspective of NHS funding, austerity and tax revenues gong forward, I don’t think we should be seeing a government policy of imposed austerity. The cost of the pandemic is on a scale comparable to the debts incurred from the Napoleonic wars, the abolition of slavery bill, WW1 & WW2. Therefore I hope the government (and all countries) seek to manage the debt repayments based upon a similar timescale. This should enable us to see investment and kick start the economy once more. To do otherwise would be fiscally irresponsible.

When you said things like "Any risk to seeing an increase in infection rate also increases the number of people requiring hospitalisation" it was not clear you were referring to the past tense!

I am glad to hear that you no longer believe this statement you made to be true at this point!

Given your correction and your clarification that you agree with me that the vaccines are highly effective and there is no need for such draconian measures to be rescinded, I am glad to accept you are not denying the effectiveness of vaccines and relieved to hear it :)

My recommendation in future is that if you no longer believe something to be true, it is best to use the past tense, and that would avoid talking at cross purposes :)

Yorkie. Stop taking my comments out of context. Quite frankly it is absurd that you drew the comparison between my comment about hospital capacity and your leap towards claiming it was about vaccination denial. My comment was to raise the issue of the impact of lockdowns upon hospital capacity (which I quote my full comment below).

My recommendation to you is to cease being inflammatory.

I will highlight my last sentence from the comment to address the issue of past tense.

Indeed it is the impact on hospitals and to prevent them from being overrun that lockdowns were intended to alleviate.

PS @yorkie . Despite being well aware of the pointless act of reporting your comments given you are a moderator, I chose to do so anyway. The reason my report was rejected was to address the issue in the thread. Perhaps you are the moderator who rejected my comment, but in any case, my responses above address the issues directly in the thread.

Last edited:

VauxhallandI

Established Member
How many more untold stories like this are there? Think of this when you are encouraging long restrictions and enjoying your selective lockdown where you can still get the things you need and to hell with others.

Speedo Mick tells of lockdown depression battle​

Speedo Mick tells of lockdown depression battleClose

Mick Cullen walked from Land's End to John o' Groats raising hundreds of thousands of pounds for charity.
But when the pandemic struck he found himself facing a new battle. He spoke to BBC Breakfast about seeking help for depression during lockdown.

kez19

Established Member
How many more untold stories like this are there? Think of this when you are encouraging long restrictions and enjoying your selective lockdown where you can still get the things you need and to hell with others.

Speedo Mick tells of lockdown depression battle​

Speedo Mick tells of lockdown depression battleClose

Mick Cullen walked from Land's End to John o' Groats raising hundreds of thousands of pounds for charity.
But when the pandemic struck he found himself facing a new battle. He spoke to BBC Breakfast about seeking help for depression during lockdown.

I guess there is more than we know but again to me media generally has been COVID constantly, where previously they would cover all mental/physical health issues but choose not too.

The sudden “care” attitude of what people have gone through during lockdown and what appears to be pockets appearing on news sites or on news itself proves that point, media don’t or didn’t care about other issues that need covered but now need addressed but I wonder how long this will last.

kristiang85

Established Member
However from the perspective of NHS funding, austerity and tax revenues gong forward, I don’t think we should be seeing a government policy of imposed austerity. The cost of the pandemic is on a scale comparable to the debts incurred from the Napoleonic wars, the abolition of slavery bill, WW1 & WW2. Therefore I hope the government (and all countries) seek to manage the debt repayments based upon a similar timescale. This should enable us to see investment and kick start the economy once more. To do otherwise would be fiscally irresponsible.

I should comment here; the costs have not been due to the pandemic but due to the overzealous government response to it.

So many of the things that have been paid for have had little to no impact on the outcome of the waves of infection, yet it is cash that will never be seen again. The eyewatering waste of test and trace, extended furlough due to lockdowns which had negligible benefit, money being pumped into railways not being used, vaccinations for people that probably don't need them, the vanity projects that were nightingales, the huge wastage of advertising, the drop in tax revenue due to both reduced economic activity and ultimate lost jobs... I could go on. This was all caused by government policy, NOT the virus pandemic.

If even a fifth of the cash spent was all ploughed into our NHS right at the start to make it a long term viable world class health service, then yes we might have still had a lot of pain with bad winter of illness, but in the long run we would be set up to deal with it in the future. But instead we have a health system that's arguably worse off and a country mired in debt and division.

brad465

Established Member
I guess there is more than we know but again to me media generally has been COVID constantly, where previously they would cover all mental/physical health issues but choose not too.

The sudden “care” attitude of what people have gone through during lockdown and what appears to be pockets appearing on news sites or on news itself proves that point, media don’t or didn’t care about other issues that need covered but now need addressed but I wonder how long this will last.
I would argue that the media have exacerbated the mental health situation with their wall-to-wall reporting of sensationalist and depressing stories (on top of depression caused by restrictions).

Purple Orange

On Moderation
I should comment here; the costs have not been due to the pandemic but due to the overzealous government response to it.

So many of the things that have been paid for have had little to no impact on the outcome of the waves of infection, yet it is cash that will never be seen again. The eyewatering waste of test and trace, extended furlough due to lockdowns which had negligible benefit, money being pumped into railways not being used, vaccinations for people that probably don't need them, the vanity projects that were nightingales, the huge wastage of advertising, the drop in tax revenue due to both reduced economic activity and ultimate lost jobs... I could go on. This was all caused by government policy, NOT the virus pandemic.

If even a fifth of the cash spent was all ploughed into our NHS right at the start to make it a long term viable world class health service, then yes we might have still had a lot of pain with bad winter of illness, but in the long run we would be set up to deal with it in the future. But instead we have a health system that's arguably worse off and a country mired in debt and division.

Yes strictly speaking it is government policy in response to the pandemic that has incurred debt, rather than the virus itself. Either way stating “the cost of the pandemic” surely captures the essence of the issue. We all know it refers to the borrowing that has taken place.

Bantamzen

Established Member
I think the effect upon the NHS is a very important debate to have (I’m unsure what debate you think I was looking for, but my comment was simply to raise the issue in the context of lockdowns).

I’ll be clear from the start that I don’t want more lockdowns than necessary - I hope we get through to June 21st and find ourselves in a restriction free world.

The cost of the restrictions, which is what we are talking about here have already been incurred in either paying people not to work, businesses to close and of course lost tax revenue. Those costs will have to be manged in the coming years, not decades. And that's before we factor in the cost of treatments, vaccines, and of course testing on a mass scale, or any restrictions post Spring.

Don't kid yourself, cuts are coming & taxes will rise either directly or through freezing tax allowances (which is the first whammy coming our way).

Purple Orange

On Moderation
The cost of the restrictions, which is what we are talking about here have already been incurred in either paying people not to work, businesses to close and of course lost tax revenue. Those costs will have to be manged in the coming years, not decades. And that's before we factor in the cost of treatments, vaccines, and of course testing on a mass scale, or any restrictions post Spring.

Don't kid yourself, cuts are coming & taxes will rise either directly or through freezing tax allowances (which is the first whammy coming our way).

Well yes, this is the Tory party we’re stuck with here. Austerity is in their blood.

Status
Not open for further replies.