• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

23 February 2020 Engineering Work London Bridge to Waterloo East

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class800

Established Member
On 23 February 2020, there is Engineering Work London Bridge to Waterloo East. I am travelling from Abbey Wood to Salisbury. My route normally would take me Abbey Wood to Waterloo East, Waterloo to Salisbury. But the train to Waterloo East isn't running.

I contacted Southeastern and they said they are no replacement buses nor ticket acceptance in place to get me to Waterloo. As it's an Off-Peak Return, I could call a Break of Journey at Waterloo if it would help, but Southeastern are saying there is is no way to get to Waterloo without paying an additional ticket. They said I need to get another ticket for Underground between London Bridge and Waterloo if I want to make my full journey. I was thinking of walking but it's a little far.

I don't like disputes and I don't find underground or Southeastern staff that helpful. Are they clearly in breach of NRCoC in not offering alternative transport to Waterloo on a through ticket (and if they are, what can I do)? If not, what other route could I take to get onto the Salisbury train? Journey planner says via Victoria - but that feels a double back - though I am unsure if it's permitted or not.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Snow1964

Established Member
I suspect Victoria is approved alternative when Charing Cross is shut for engineering works

Is the journey planner offering Victoria, then Clapham Junction, and pick up Salisbury train there

If you have already bought the ticket, could ask at Abbey Wood ticket office for them to endorse it via the Underground (that will force the issue to be dealt with properly, although will be tough on ticket office person if they have to phone to get an authorisation code). In practice they should void the ticket and replace it by one that is valid at no extra cost due to their mistake. If it is ticket bought from another operator phone their helpline for the reissue/endorsement

Yes South Eastern shouldn't have sold a ticket for a date that they are not providing ticket acceptance. Its like an airline selling a ticket for route they are not operating on that date.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Journey planner says via Victoria - but that feels a double back - though I am unsure if it's permitted or not.
The fares from Abbey Wood to Salisbury are all routed LONDON NOT UND so you must travel via London, even if that requires to double back. No issue at all there.

hkstudent

Established Member
I suspect Victoria is approved alternative when Charing Cross is shut for engineering works

Is the journey planner offering Victoria, then Clapham Junction, and pick up Salisbury train there

If you have already bought the ticket, could ask at Abbey Wood ticket office for them to endorse it via the Underground (that will force the issue to be dealt with properly, although will be tough on ticket office person if they have to phone to get an authorisation code). In practice they should void the ticket and replace it by one that is valid at no extra cost due to their mistake. If it is ticket bought from another operator phone their helpline for the reissue/endorsement

Yes South Eastern shouldn't have sold a ticket for a date that they are not providing ticket acceptance. Its like an airline selling a ticket for route they are not operating on that date.
Yes, according to NR journey planner, OP has to go via Victoria and Clapham Junction.
Did OP purchased the ticket online? If so, the OP would have the itinery on hand.

But I agree with Snow1964, ask Southeastern to void the ticket and and get a new ticket.
In NR journey planner, "Any Permitted" off-peak return is selling at £52.20

Which Southeastern staff you have contacted? Generally, London-based staff would understand this ticket issue better. (Not to Abbey Wood, as it is a TfL station)

Last edited:

Class800

Established Member
Thanks for replies -I contacted Southeastern via the contact form online. The ticket in question is Salisbury to Abbey Wood off-peak return and this is the return leg - bought via SWR. Journey planner currently seems to only be offering a routing via the Underground, which isn't permitted on the ticket when it prints and as per what Southeastern say. But on Journey planner forcing routing point Victoria does offer some options. That seems the way to go. I was quite surprised they could close a section of line and not offer any replacement transport. Would be an issue for anyone ending journey at Charing Cross or Waterloo East.

hkstudent

Established Member
Thanks for replies -I contacted Southeastern via the contact form online. The ticket in question is Salisbury to Abbey Wood off-peak return and this is the return leg - bought via SWR. Journey planner currently seems to only be offering a routing via the Underground, which isn't permitted on the ticket when it prints and as per what Southeastern say. But on Journey planner forcing routing point Victoria does offer some options. That seems the way to go. I was quite surprised they could close a section of line and not offer any replacement transport. Would be an issue for anyone ending journey at Charing Cross or Waterloo East.
How long ago was you ticket be purchased? Is it more than 6 weeks before the travel day?

Status
Not open for further replies.