• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

24/01/2019 GWML signalling issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dren Ahmeti

At approx. 10:50, a “red-out” (all signals reverting to danger, or red) of signals was reported between London Paddington and Old Oak Common, which has seemingly tripped the OHL section too, with the backup power not coming on.

TVSC (Thames Valley Signalling Center) SSM (Shift Signalling Manager) reports that all signals are black on the ground, with the lines blocked at Reading; some trains are being withdrawn to Ealing Broadway.

Reports suggest that SSE (contractors, thank you @hwl) have cut through an external power cable by accident.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hwl

Established Member
At approx. 10:50, a “red-out” (all signals reverting to danger, or red) of signals was reported between London Paddington and Old Oak Common, which has seemingly tripped the OHL section too, with the backup power not coming on.

TVSC (Thames Valley Signalling Center) SSM (Shift Signalling Manager) reports that all signals are black on the ground, with the lines blocked at Reading; some trains are being withdrawn to Ealing Broadway.

Reports suggest that SSE (energy company) have cut through an external power cable by accident.
Presumably SSE contracting division (who do lots of rail work) rather DNO as that is a bit to far east for SSE as DNO (UKPN/SSE DNO boundary is near the M25 in this case)

Dren Ahmeti

Presumably SSE contracting division (who do lots of rail work) rather DNO as that is a bit to far east for SSE as DNO (UKPN/SSE DNO boundary is near the M25 in this case)
That’s down to me skim-reading my emails, thank you for the correction!

hwl

Established Member
That’s down to me skim-reading my emails, thank you for the correction!
Just an assumption on my part, but it would also explains why they knew what happened so quickly. SSE contracting presumably clearing the former GWR depot at OOC for HS2 construction???

Lets hope the people concerned are as lucky as the person doing the same thing before Stratford International construction (132kV from memory). They were very lucky it was a clear dry low humidity summer morning...

Dren Ahmeti

Trains are being held in platforms all the way back to Swindon, with platforms filling up throughout the Thames Valley.

Mintona

Established Member
I just got to Bristol Parkway on the 1015 from Paddington and feel quite lucky to have made it now.

Established Member
A quick look at open train times maps for the western region shows a possible traped train near Paddington (9T14) and some High Speed services backing up to Cardiff in platforms.

GW43125

Established Member
A quick look at open train times maps for the western region shows a possible traped train near Paddington (9T14) and some High Speed services backing up to Cardiff in platforms.

That's just a sticky description, 9T14 made it to Hayes right time at 08:40.

Dren Ahmeti

9P19 and 2T23 were trapped, but both were put in platforms as soon as the OLE went back up.

Dren Ahmeti

SSE contracting presumably clearing the former GWR depot at OOC for HS2 construction?
Your suspcions were found correct.
Issue caused by a tripping of the power supply at OOC.
I would post the rest of what I know, but I don’t understand half of the S&T terms used.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
After a stressful journey in from St Albans* - we were comfortably esconced on the 1045 to Swansea , advertised as leaving late due to previous problems earlier in the morning. Train and everything cancelled - so back home we went. A destroyed day frankly.

(* severe blocking back due to issues south of the Thames impacting on everything on MML)

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Looks like things are now moving again. Thankfully this did not happen during the morning or evening peak. I would imagine the contractor responsible for this will have some explaining to do!

John Webb

Established Member
May well be inadequate location of said cable on plans or poor marking of installed cable in the ground that misled the contractor?

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
So were the GWML electrification teams but we all know how well THAT went ;)

In a long career on the railway , I have lost count how many times major disruption has been caused by "accidentally discovered cables" , every time there are assurances that this will not happen again .......these assurances in my case go back to January 1980 - and continue to this very morning. And will happen again.

Elecman

Established Member
Have you ever used a CAT? (Cable Avoidance Tool)
You can see a cable and the power is definatly on but the CAT may not detect it.

Indeed unless there is current flowing through the cable a CAT is unlikely to detect a live cable unless a signal generator is connected to the cable.

PG

Established Member
In a long career on the railway , I have lost count how many times major disruption has been caused by "accidentally discovered cables" , every time there are assurances that this will not happen again .......these assurances in my case go back to January 1980 - and continue to this very morning. And will happen again.

Would the use of Ground Penetrating Radar assist contractors in the future to discover said cables?

If yes then I guess it'll be up to the contract specification requiring it and the willingness (or not) of someone to foot the bill <D

Status
Not open for further replies.