• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

24 hour Day Return Tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarethJohn

Are they available?
If you need to work a night shift you cannot buy a return at the same price as you could if you travel during the day.
If you do not have enough shifts to warrant a weekly ticket. You need to buy a Single to for your initial shift of the week and then a Return in the morning to take you back later, leaving you with a single fare on the return home, this makes it more expensive than travelling to day shifts.Were you just buy a day return each day.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
SouthEastern have the Weekender, and Thameslink/Great Northern have a next day return of some sort, but return journey must be before noon, I think.

That's about it that I am aware of.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Are they available?
If you need to work a night shift you cannot buy a return at the same price as you could if you travel during the day.
If you do not have enough shifts to warrant a weekly ticket. You need to buy a Single to for your initial shift of the week and then a Return in the morning to take you back later, leaving you with a single fare on the return home, this makes it more expensive than travelling to day shifts.Were you just buy a day return each day.

As you say, travelling for night shifts can work out more expensive than a day shift/job, but it can also work out cheaper in some cases. Sometimes a little 'creative thinking' can help reduce costs.

gray1404

Established Member
SouthEastern have the Weekender, and Thameslink/Great Northern have a next day return of some sort, but return journey must be before noon, I think.

That's about it that I am aware of.

Is the TL one still sold? I can't find it anymore.

Scotty

Are they available?

Rather than the single for the initial journey, and final return, just get an open return valid for 30 days.

Bellbell

If the passenger lives in A and travels to B, out day 1, return day 2, out day 2, return day 3 they can buy a day return from B to A. Had the exact same conversation and offered the exact same solution recently, unless I've got the wrong end of the stick.

*Admittedly they have to take the hit on a single on day 1 and on the last day too but better than nothing?

My bad, I see you already have this solution. Teach me for skim reading after an 11 hour shift! I guess if the SVR/SOR is available on the route that might cover the day 1/last day. Still more expensive than day returns and I acknowledge that open tickets are not always available.

Last edited:

Scotty

That's not always possible, e.g. a lot of journeys around Glasgow only have single or day returns.

There must be an open return valid for the journey, that is cheaper than 2 singles... e.g. one that is for a longer journey.

Round here, there is no Boston-Grantham open return, but there is for Boston-Aslockton.

Status
Not open for further replies.