• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

25 years since rail privatisation - BBC South Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR 444

Established Member
For anyone interested, there’s a report on tonight’s BBC South bulletin at 6:30 documenting the highs and lows of Britain’s railways since privatisation 25 years ago. It was on at lunchtime and is well worth a watch.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
That was a nice little tiptoe through history.

Can't believe it's been 25 years !

Peter C

Established Member
I just saw this and thought it was really quite good; interesting to see the footage of the slam-door stock being broken up (Connex Class 421?) and some footage of the first SWT service. I'll admit I did spend my time watching it trying to work out the stock shown in each shot!

-Peter

popeter45

what was the first service to run offically as a private TOC and what was the last to run offically as a BR service?
i assume they must have been in a similar spirit as when a old class is retired?

ANDREW_D_WEBB

First private TOC service was 05:10 Twickenham to London Waterloo on 4/2/96.
Last BR operated passenger service was Waverley- Euston sleeper on 31/3/97. The last BR operated service was a Railfreight Distribution service during Autumn 1997

This does not take into account the operation of ‘private sector’ locos in the BR era. Foster Yeoman introduced their Class 59s in 1986, although I believe these were crewed by BR staff. Hunslet Barclay had class 20s on weed killing trains, but I can’t remember who crewed them.

The first passenger service to be privatised was the Vale of Rhiedol Line in 1989.

Stagecoach also had their own carriages included in BR sleeper services prior to privatisation.

pdeaves

Established Member
The first passenger service to be privatised was the Vale of Rhiedol Line in 1989.
Like many things with railway history, that depends on how you want to define things. The Paignton & Dartmouth line in 1972 was a sale of a working railway. In fact, for the first two months BR ran the service on the P&DR's behalf. It was originally intended as a working line with scheduled public services, becoming more 'heritage' later on. I am sure there are other examples.

A0wen

On Moderation
The Big 4 only lasted 25 years (and a big chunk of that was under government control).

Though the GWR was really a major player from the early days - it had about 500 miles added to its 3000 route miles at grouping, so that was more a takeover by the GWR than a merger in the way the others were.

Inversnecky

Still remember the early insanity of it: at Waverley station, instead of one list property office, you had one for the station, one for the TOCs...

Let alone photos of diesels on articulated lorries being taken to the depot for repair, because it was cheaper to send them by road than to ‘rent’ time on the rails.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Let alone photos of diesels on articulated lorries being taken to the depot for repair, because it was cheaper to send them by road than to ‘rent’ time on the rails.

In many cases, cheaper to stick them on the back of a low loader driven by a bloke on £15 an hour than to find a loco, it’s diesel, and a driver on £40/hr.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Last BR operated passenger service was Waverley- Euston sleeper on 31/3/97. The last BR operated service was a Railfreight Distribution service during Autumn 1997
This does not take into account the operation of ‘private sector’ locos in the BR era. Foster Yeoman introduced their Class 59s in 1986, although I believe these were crewed by BR staff. Hunslet Barclay had class 20s on weed killing trains, but I can’t remember who crewed them.
Stagecoach also had their own carriages included in BR sleeper services prior to privatisation.
Public sector operation never quite vanished, as DRS (then owned by BNFL and now the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority) took over nuclear traffic from BR and has been in in public hands throughout.

387star

On Moderation

The 05:10 Twickenham to Waterloo on 4/2/96 was a 455? I read in a magazine it was a slammer but I don't think that was the case.

South West Trains started very poorly but ended as one of the best TOCS routinely turning out trains in very good condition and delivering quality refurbishments.

theironroad

Established Member
For anyone interested, there’s a report on tonight’s BBC South bulletin at 6:30 documenting the highs and lows of Britain’s railways since privatisation 25 years ago. It was on at lunchtime and is well worth a watch.

Was interesting piece.

Just a reminder, these news episodes only stay on iPlayer for 24 hours.

midland1

The 25 years were not the golden age they were the years before ww1. The years between the wars were very had for the railways with much traffic lost to roads. You could well say it was the golden years for the steam locos though.

theironroad

Established Member
The 05:10 Twickenham to Waterloo on 4/2/96 was a 455? I read in a magazine it was a slammer but I don't think that was the case.

South West Trains started very poorly but ended as one of the best TOCS routinely turning out trains in very good condition and delivering quality refurbishments.

455 and there's footage in the piece shown tonight.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

It was a 455. 5709 shown on the BBC South link above ( starts at 10:45 into the programme)

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A lot of people think that Railtrack was already a private entity when the first privatised TOC started - in fact Railtrack wasn't floated on the Stock Exchange until May of that year (1996).

Poolie

In many cases, cheaper to stick them on the back of a low loader driven by a bloke on £15 an hour than to find a loco, it’s diesel, and a driver on £40/hr.
Workers of the world unite!!! :D

pdeaves

Established Member
A lot of people think that Railtrack was already a private entity when the first privatised TOC started - in fact Railtrack wasn't floated on the Stock Exchange until May of that year (1996).
It was a separate legal entity wholly owned by the government (not a BR subsidiary) from April 1994 but, as you say, not sold off for a couple of years. So whether it was 'a private entity' depends on whether they really mean 'independent of BR'.

Inversnecky

Attachments

• EA8F0C33-38FB-44EC-8004-293B1044298B.jpeg
    EA8F0C33-38FB-44EC-8004-293B1044298B.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 19
  • FE4F5A73-577E-4656-AE03-F63D95DF12CF.jpeg
    FE4F5A73-577E-4656-AE03-F63D95DF12CF.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 04898E13-B460-4C14-9E73-E5B91425A9F7.jpeg
    04898E13-B460-4C14-9E73-E5B91425A9F7.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 19

Peter C

Established Member
Thanks, just managed to see before it expired.

Always sad to see old trains scrapped...
I thought that footage was really quite interesting. I was also quite surprised that the item was as long as it was; I was expecting it to be a short little thing. I quite like Paul Clifton's stuff on South Today - he seems to know his stuff.

-Peter

Romsey

It was a Strawberry Hill starter so was almost certainly a 455.
I wasn't aware the weekend was going to be historic when I did the engineering works train plan, which went to press some weeks beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.