250 additional carriages for South West Trains

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by infobleep, 12 Aug 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. infobleep

infobleep Established Member

I thought the following had already been agreed but perhaps not until now.

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/south-west-trains-announces-introduction-9804364

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. hwl

hwl Established Member

Not just agreed but already in services - does this just mean the franchise extension has been agreed?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Very carefully worded to make it sound like all new...

But:
    24x 456 = 48 cars
    6x "new" 458/5 = 30 cars
    30x 5th cars in 458/8 = 30cars

Total = 108cars

The rest will be the Siemens 707s.

Last edited: 13 Aug 2015
  4. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

It has been agreed, it is nothing more than SWT keeping the subject alive for local media by repeating the same old stuff as the 456 project comes towards an end, and the 458/5 project staggers on at least a year late.

The 108 extra carriages (that hwl has broken down) should all have been in use by December 2014.

I think it will be May 2016 unless there's some sort of miracle at Doncaster.

There doesn't seem to be any logical reason for issuing this now as far as I can work out. 75% complete overall - 81/108?

5. HarleyDavidson

HarleyDavidson Established Member

30 x 5 car 707's or Boeing's as they're seemingly being nicknamed.

6. infobleep

infobleep Established Member

Of course when these extra 250 cars fully come into use, South West Trains might not even be the franchise holder. I'm happy for then to continue but it's not down to me.

7. D365

D365 Established Member

May 2015 would be a miracle in itself!

How likely is it that any future franchise holder will take up the option for additional units from the Class 707 order?

8. 3141

3141 Established Member

I'd say they will have three choices:-

1) Take up the option.
    2) Get hold of some more new trains by placing a new order. Probably more expensive, and if the new trains came from a supplier other than Siemens there'd be the issue of additional spare parts and staff training.
    3) Do nothing.

If passenger numbers continue rising no. 1 will be attractive.

Maybe there's a fourth choice, that the DfT decide to take up the option for more 707s and use them elsewhere.

Or, if it's Stagecoach plc that holds the option, then they take it up and use the new trains on another franchise - if, say, their joint bid with Abellio wins Greater Anglia.

9. Deepgreen

Deepgreen Established Member

Careful use of the term "spaces" rather than "seats". They claim there will be "improved" seats, but if almost all the other TOCs are anything to go by, the next generation of seats will actually be worse! Also, what's this claim about it being part of the biggest investment since the Victorian era - over what time span? What about the steam to diesel changeover? What about mass electrification and the associated traction and stock? It's pure spin.

10. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

I must proof read my posts better...

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

We've discussed this before, when it was found that the changed configuration of the 458/5 means only a handful of extra seats on any individual unit, the only significant gain is the 6 extra complete units.

On the other hand the 456s do provide a real pro-rata increase in seats.

11. fgwrich

fgwrich Established Member

Indeed. Do we know if there's any news on who else may bid yet? I know Arriva seem to be lining up a bid from a local email we've just had around here asking for our opinions and what we'd want to see - Sorry Arriva, It's not you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.