• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

252001 and Class 254

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLA365

Does anyone know where 252001 is now, and on which lines it was in use?

Were HST's initially numbered class 254's, and if so when were they re-numbered to class 43's?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

253's. They were originally (HST) classed as DMU's - but due to the amount of reforming that was made, they were reclassified as motor cars just carrying trailers as the class 43 HST. Not just class 43, as there was originally another class 43, it being the 'Warship'.

Andrew

If 252001 is the prototype HST (which I think it is) then some vehicles from it ie MkIIIs are possibly still in use. I think one of the First HST Showcase vehicles is one from the prototype. The front end vehicles with their non-fullly streamlined noses are probably either dumped somewhere or were broken up. I doubt they ever ran in passenger service, they probably had a lot of equipment in for testing etc.

When the HSTs entered service they were classified Class 254 as well. AIUI the ECML ones were classified 254 and the GW ones were 253. The GW sets had 7 trailer vehicles and the ECML 8 hence the different classification.
I would guess they were renumbered in the very early 80s, or late 70s - I don't think they lasted very long as DMUs.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
I will say I found the prototype HST well interesting and well worth the visit! I'm just a little miffed that I should have asked to have alook inside, but oh well!

Status
Not open for further replies.