• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

26-30 railcard expired day early

Status
Not open for further replies.

windswept

I bought my 26-30 railcard on 18th Oct. 2019, so today (17th Oct. 2020) is the last day of validity. In the app however it is showing as Valid Until: 17 Oct 20 Card status: EXPIRED

The FAQs on the 26-30 railcard website confirm that it should be valid to use on the date of expiry, so this is presumably a bug in the app - has anyone else known this to happen?

Fortunately I'm not travelling today, or I could have had a nasty surprise when trying to show my ticket to revenue protection, given that the terms & conditions for digital railcards can be summarised as "if there's a technical issue, it's your problem"

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Mine did that too. I was advised to use it anyway, and write in if I encountered any problems.

gray1404

Established Member
I had the same problem with a physical railcard, expiry date was a day early. They added the additional day and sent another. Ended up being an additional week as they added days to allow for post time.

robbeech

Established Member
I assume that after you've been advised to "use it anyway" then they'd happily pay your legal costs and associated penalties when you're prosecuted by an RPI with a box to tick?

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Is this a leap year issue? I.e. the programming expires the cards after 365 days rather than after one year. If so, then the problem should go away after 1 March 2021 but (unless there’s a fix to the code) re-emerge when cards are issued covering 29 February 2024,

island

Veteran Member
Is this a leap year issue? I.e. the programming expires the cards after 365 days rather than after one year. If so, then the problem should go away after 1 March 2021 but (unless there’s a fix to the code) re-emerge when cards are issued covering 29 February 2024,
Could be that or could be a date storage format issue.

Some programming languages store dates and times in one combined format called datetime. If you store just the date 17-OCT-20 in the field it will store it as 2020-10-17 00:00:00. If you then compare “current datetime” to the stored datetime on that expiry date, the current datetime will be later and the check will come back as expired (incorrectly of course).

I had it happen on my last day in a job where I came on my final day and my login had already been disabled.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It would be best if the expiry date and time was set to 04:29 on the day after the expiry date to avoid any potential issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.