• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

26 60s left, this is criminal!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simming

only 26 60s left, and theres talk that they could all have gone by augest sometime.

Ive got bets that the tractor will out live the Tug at this rate! Its a shame EWS lost so much traffic.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JN114

Established Member
that is criminal.....

they're not even unreliable

The 60s aint gone yet... Word has it EWS is to set up in France and a number of 66s will go over to there, be modified for French running (signalling etc) Some 60s will be overhauled possibly with new GM Engines

David

Established Member
Why get rid of the 60's? They are (probably) the best frieght loco do have be designed in years. Even better than the 56's.

jonb

Established Member
60's are stil needed on duties which 66's cannot handle. For example the Colnbrook - Lindsey and return working is usually a 60 and was 60059 yesterday.

Julian G

Established Member
it looks like it :?
it reminds me of the video about old diesel traction which 60 was includedW!!! 8)

richa2002

Established Member
Yeah, it was good to have 60059 in full sun at Harpenden. The only good thing I can pull out of this is that they are all from the WCAN pool so won't affect 6E38 Colnbrook - Lindsey as this is operated by a WCBN pool 60. The difference being that the locos in the WCBN have long range fuel tanks.
yag58g.jpg

Techniquest

Veteran Member
26?! Oh my...

I hear a lot of them are to come back in the autumn for the...ah, what do you call it...the Railhead Treatment trains.

AlexS

Established Member
Well, there have been huge protests against any open access operations, apparently tear gas had to be used, so it may yet be cancelled regarding moving some 66s. As for reliable, they aren't. The Mirlees Blackstone is a notoriously unreliable piece of kit, and there is a high maintenance cost per mile. Not to mention 60081? blowing itself to bits.

Simming

I think alot have gone because from what ive heard, EWS found out that there 66s arn't as weak as they thought in the first place.

But if they re-engine them, will they then put new software etc inside? Its going to be like the story of the guy whos had the same brush for 20 years, abit with 3 new brush heads, and 4 new handles :roll:

Craig

Established Member
Some of the 60s will be taken out of store during the sandite season when 66s are being used on those trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.