• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

26th August 2004 Memorial Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexS

Established Member
On the 26th of August 2004, approximately 74 people died when terrorists set off a bomb in a holy building in Najaf, Iraq.

Their names were:

I don't know. Nobody here really seems to give a rats ass since it wasn't a bombing closer than 1000 miles away, or that no European or American citizens were killed in it. I don't actually know how many people died, because nobody really bothered keeping count, beyond the approximate figure of 74.

If I don't see as many posts expressing sympathy, regret, depression and so one in this thread as in the London Memorial thread, then the none posters will automatically be uncaring, evil swines worthy of public humiliation.

Sound fair?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Well I think you posted what I've been trying to get across, though in a rather nicer way.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Jamie said:
Well I think you posted what I've been trying to get across, though in a rather nicer way.
Agreed. As Alex posted in the other thread, people die, it happens all day everyday. Remembering such events a year later or whatever is all well and good, but it doesn't actually achieve anything. It doesn't bring those people back, it doesn't prevent such events happening again. I remember just after the 7th July bombing there was discussion as to whether or not a 2 minute silence would be appropriate, with the argument against such a silence being the display of strength and defiance against the terrorists, a very much ''blitz'' spirit. Needless to say that I cracked up with laughter at a Jimmy Carr show when he joked that rather than holding a 2 minutes silence in mourning/memory of such events, we should perhaps have just 10 seconds of 'tutting' instead.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Or maybe ten weeks ranting. :)

Followed up by a ten week ranting memorial thread a year later.

richa2002

Established Member
Predictably, the BBC have gone into overdrive about the London Bombings. They asked a man at LUL, "Can you guarantee that people will get home today safely?" Of course he can't! They are trying to make everything sound so dramatic.

Simming

10 people died on the roads? is that it, I think its alot more.

how many people died in the IRA bombings in Ireland, did each one get a minute or 2 silence?

yea, I feel sorry for the friends and families of those who died, but its going a bit ott when we have a silence for every occasion, they kinda loose there full meaning.

AlexS

Established Member
James 66526 said:
You people don't have a clue do you?

I think I have a clue very nicely. People are selectively depressed and expect other people to join in with them. Or are you saying those 74 dead Iraqis are less worthy of a 2 minute silence than the 52 people who died in London?

AlexS

Established Member
No Mr Dunn, what I am saying is that why is any other death in this fashion more significant than any other? What is more special about the London bombings compared to the various terrorist (and im not on about the Western offensive here, it's the same people in Iraq doing this kind of thing as it is here) atrocities commited weekly in Iraq. Why aren't we having a minute to commemorate all of them? I'm not saying 'forget the dead', I'm saying 'all the dead have an equal right to rememberance and recognition'

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Well, AlexS does have a point (IMO) that some lives are considered more 'worthy' than others, and that is wrong for this to be the case.

It's also true that the circumstances of death affect how 'worthy' the cause appears to be. for example if 20 people died in 20 seperate car crashes today (Sadly that may even have been the case :() then they'd only be mentioned in local papers for 1 day, generally.

But if considerably less people - let's say 5 - died in a train crash it would be talked about for years, and possibly decades.

And then there's inequality based on location - e.g. if people die in an American hurricane it'd be major news here, but if a higher number of people died in a hurricane in certain other countries it would hardly get a mention. :(

Did you know that there is a formula for deciding if safety works should be carried out, where a value is applied to a life likely to be saved to determine if it is worth spending money, and that forumula values lives differently? For example a rail death is valued much higher than a road death.

It's all very silly.

Tom B

Established Member
James 66526 said:
Mate. I know what I ma talking about. When w*nkers liek you comne on here who haven't got a f*ckin clue about things like this and start saying we should forget who died then I can see why this world is so f*cked up. You haven't got a clue. When you have been in a similar situatuion as the relatives of the dead at London then come back here. I bet you would have changed your opinion then. I don't know how you lot can f*ckin live with yourselfs.

I don't think he was saying we should forget people who've died - just that some seem to get more attention than others.

Of course, terrorists at home make the Daily Mail reader more scared and hence allow the Government of the moment to pass more oppressive legislation...

Sprog

Established Member
Quit the bickering.........

Death affects us all differantly...some people want to forget...some want to remember.

I myself have seen 3 people die, and another 'body' in front of me.

1st was when i watched a young freind of mine go under the wheels of a 48-ton atriculated lorry.....

2nd was when i watched a motorcyclist being 'hit off' on a junction and killed instantly as he hit the tarmac....

3rd was a suicided at stafford, where a bloke launched himself off the bridge on the North end into the path of a 'flying' 87....

And 4th was the corpse of my freinds uncle seconds after hed dropped dead of a heart attack..............

Should i be affected by all these? As far as i know, i havent.........well...no long-term effects anyway (a few nightmares/sleepless nights etc), but i have never received any counselling or 'help' because IMO i never needed it. At the same time i dnt often go around shooting off about this as, especially the 1st one, is particuly sensitive to me.
[EDIT]
There, lol...that shut you all up aye :shock: ...!?

Well I've stopped replying becasue I think if peopel really have that pig ignorant an attitude, no matter what I say it's not gunna make them change thier mind. All I'm gunan say is that they would have a totally different opinion if thier reletive had been kileld in such a horrific high public way.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
James 66526 said:
Well I've stopped replying becasue I think if peopel really have that pig ignorant an attitude, no matter what I say it's not gunna make them change thier mind. All I'm gunan say is that they would have a totally different opinion if thier reletive had been kileld in such a horrific high public way.
So you're saying that if the events surrounding somebody's death become worthy of press attention then everybody should care, but if somebody's relative dies in a more private situation then nobody should give a ****?

No, but 'Chris' even said that he didn't care as long as it didn;'t affect him. How stupid and ignoratn is that attitude? I agree that people who have died of cancer etc should be remembered but the comments I have seen have been disgustiong.

Simming

found this on a non rail forum

basically on the 7th of july 1 year ago, 50 something innocent people lost their lives due to 'terrorist' bomb blasts in london. a horrific tragedy. a gruesome act of violence.

our 'coalition for democracy' shot and killed the ambulance drivers in iraq, even whilst they were carrying people injured from our explosions. our reason? they 'could' be transporting 'insurgents'. our 'coalition' rapes a 15 year old girl in her family home and then sets her body alight and kills her family. what if that girl was a 15 year old american or british girl raped and killed in her own home by an invading foreign force? how different would the reaction be? my belief is that it would be enough for us to start a war (or atleast an intense campaign in the daily mirror).

our tanks leave depleted uranium, a highly radioactive and deadly nuclear material, all over iraq causing huge increases in cancer especially in children. there are few drugs in the hospitals do deal with the heavily increased demand. in a country rich in oil, people have no fuel. people have no electricity. there is no law. there is no security. there is civil war. 50 innocent people die every few days in iraq in the most gruesome and unimaginable ways.

our 'coalition' bought this to iraq. our representatives bought this experience to the human families that were unlucky enough to be born in iraq.

it seems like 'cause and effect' has been forgotten. in london we lost 50 people to this phony 'war on terror'. iraq has lost 100's of 1000's of innocent people. iran will lose many, many more. we have no more right to murder than 'terrorists'. more bombs will explode in our little world. osama bin laden said it himself 'you kill our woman and children - we kill yours. you stop. we stop'. but when our 'soldiers' kill we dont acknowledge it as murder. when this country kills, it is not murder. when britain takes a life from a person, just like you and me, it does not matter, not at-all.

'ours' is the aggressive invader, ignoring the rules of war and the laws of logic that our 'democratic, model society' so aggresively preaches. it is mine and yours. when war turns on a population it is not the leaders that made those ill-fated decisions that are directly affected it is you and me. it is the next 50 / 500 innocent people to die at the hands of people seeking revenge for the intense injustice our representatives serve to others. it is blatant cause and effect and it winds me up on days like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.