2U31 Redditch - Four Oaks 14.05.15

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by an7li721, 14 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. an7li721

an7li721 New Member

Was on the above train today, which was meant to call at Duddeston at 1119, but I was slightly bemused to find that the train overshot the platform, with rapid deceleration only stopping the train about 200 yards past the station. The train then had to continue forward to Aston. The guard had already announced the stop for Duddeston, and could only apologize for not stopping at Duddeston. I can only imagine that as 2/3 trains on the cross city line don't stop at Duddeston, the cause for this would just be human error and the driver not realizing the train called at Duddeston until too late. What I'm wondering is does this happen often with stations that are rarely called at? And in what situation would the train be allowed to reverse back into the station?

2. basfordlad

basfordlad Member

I used to work in this ticket office back in late 1990's!! Brings back memories

3. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

4. plastictaffy

plastictaffy Established Member

From memory, Duddeston, along with Bescot Stadium, are highlighted on the diagrams, due to plenty of station over-runs and fail to calls. A bit like us at the south end of the line, with Wembley Central, it's highlighted on the diagram.

5. greatkingrat

greatkingrat Established Member

Trains can be given permission to go back to the station by the signaller, however this generally only happens on quieter lines with infrequent services. To do this on a busy line like the Cross City would cause too much disruption to following services.

6. SPADTrap

SPADTrap Established Member

If the overrun is greater than 400m then generally it won't be allowed or if there are level crossings that have been crossed already then it can't be done, or if the service is frequent or indeed if the signaller just doesn't allow it. In any case the driver would absolutely have to change ends and re contact the signaller before returning to the station. 'Reversing' is a big no-no!

Last edited: 14 May 2015
  7. the sniper

the sniper Established Member

Shenstone too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.