• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

3 days in Auckland - shortish train journeys advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Requeststop

Hi everyone,

In ten days from this post I'm in Auckland for three days and looking to do some shortish rail journeys whilst I'm there. A journey of say 90 minutes there, a couple of hours at the location and 90 minutes or so back again.

Advice on ticket discounts please too. I'm over 65 years of age.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TRAX

Established Member
Any line on the Auckland suburban rail network can be done in under 90 minutes one way.

paddington

There are 4 urban train lines which all start at Britomart in the city centre, you have plenty of time to travel the full length of all of them. The only other train line is the long-distance line to Wellington.

There are no discounts for senior citizens who do not live in New Zealand.

dr140

Like others have said, there are 4 lines all originating at Britomart station in the city centre. A map can be found here: https://at.govt.nz/bus-train-ferry/train-services/auckland-train-network/ All lines are no more than around 60mins end to end and are electrified with new trains. The only exception in the shuttle service from Papakura to Pukekohe which is around 20mins and is served by older diesel units originally from Australia.
All bus and trains are run under the Auckland Transport brand and fares info can be found here: https://at.govt.nz/bus-train-ferry/fares-discounts/bus-train-fares/ You can buy a hop card which is a top up card like the Oyster in London and it costs 10NZD but allows access to cheaper fares and the option of a day ticket for 18NZD valid on all trains and buses.
If you like stations you should check out the old railway station building in Auckland. Search for Strand station, the building is quite impressive although now converted into flats.
Enjoy

175mph

On Moderation
It seems like these forums all too often overlook New Zealand's railways. :(

TRAX

Established Member
Because not so much happens there railway-wise... I’m 50 % Kiwi and even I struggle to find anything to say about them !

cle

Established Member
Wellington is definitely more interesting from a rail POV, as it has regional services (which can get you to Greytown and Martinborough, or run up the Kapiti Coast) - which I'd say are better for day trips than anywhere in the same proximity to Auckland. You have to go a bit further for interesting spots, which needs a car.

Auckland's network is fairly unpretty and industrial/suburban. The first leg of the Eastern line out of Britomart is arguably the best stretch :)

Status
Not open for further replies.