• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

3 in 7 Day Rover Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

tucker

Hi
Does anyone know that if when you buy one of these you have to give your 3 days you want to travel when purchasing the ticket.
Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
No you will be given a date box ticket which you fill in with the days as you use it. See the Forum Ticket Gallery here for an example.

Kendalian

Yes it's one of the great flexible options with the regional rovers, whether it's 3 in 7, 4 in 8 (the most common) or 8 in 15 Spirit of Scotland (now there's a thought)

It would be a good move if they offered flexibility on the All Line rover eg 7 days in 10 for the same price. Suppose they rely on people missing a day or two!!

tucker

Flexibility of days on All line rovers would certainly see me buying one.

robbeech

Established Member
Agreed. Whilst I love travelling I also love walking around and looking at stuff in various towns and cities, the last ALR I did was a couple of months back and I didn't want to miss out on the value of the ticket so I actually got to see quite a bit less than I had hoped.
A 7 in 10 or similar would be excellent, even if it cost another £100 or so.
Sorry, dragging that OT somewhat.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Rovers are great. I recently got a 3 in 7 Freedom of the South West Rover which was only a few pounds more than getting two Advances down to Penzance and back (though i could probably have got it even cheaper with some splits).

I went up to Cheltenham first, then down to Weston and on to Exeter. I made a quick visit to Paignton and then continued to St Ives. And that was just one day :D Outstanding value!

If you had to decide what days you were going to travel, then much of the appeal and value of these type of tickets would be destroyed.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
I seriously doubt that there will ever be a flexi version of the ALR. Remember that am peak restrictions were added to the ticket a few years ago as the long distance TOCs sought to protect their "business user" revenue. Any flexi ticket would likely be at an even higher equivalent daily rate than the present £69/day for 7 days standard class. Anyone fancy £550 for a flexi version? Or perhaps compulsory use on at least 2 weekend days? If anyone at the TOCs has considered the possibility of introducing a flexi-ALR I suspect they will have weighed up such options and probably concluded the sales volume not worth chasing.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I fear there's more chance of the ALR being abolished than a flexi version coming in.

Status
Not open for further replies.