• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

3-in-7 East Midlands Rover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

james60059

Monday 7th June.

With Nuneaton usually being "base camp" for when I do a Rover or Day Ranger, I made my first trip, well more of a fill in move really to Coventry and back. The 10:16 departure being in the hands of 172004. Arriving in Coventry, I went to look for some refreshments before heading back for the return to Nuneaton. 172004 yet again as there's only 1tp2h currently on the NUCKLE line, we arrived back in Nuneaton with a good 10+ minutes for my next connection.

170620 on 1L38 at 11:51 was my next chariot, for the trip to Melton Mowbray, earlier in the day I had attempted a 10 minute reservation but got informed that there was no seats available - as it happens, there was a good number of airline style seats vacant even after we departed Nuneaton so XC really need to get their act together regarding this system as someone else could easily be put off if they needed to make a trip. Flying through my own local station; Hinckley was a bit surreal but Nuneaton offers better parking and connectivity. Arriving in Leicester a few minutes late, owing to being held at Wigston for a late running Sheffield service. Even on departure from Leicester, there was still a fair number of seats available. Arriving into the charming little station of Melton Mowbray, a quick glance of RTT revealed that there was a 1Q51 Derby RTC - Eastleigh Arlington running, and it was behind 170620. A few minutes late 73963 and 73965 showed up, thanks very much 8-). During my fester at Melton Mowbray, 66514 passed through as well as 222101 arriving on the service from London St. Pancras.

The 13:15 departure, with 222101 after it's jolly down to Syston and back was on time, and my reason for this was to travel over the Welland Viaduct (or Harringworth as it's also known), there was plenty of space on the 4-car DMU, my main aim was to get to Bedford which is at the Southern extremity of the Rover area, and a prompt on time arrival at Bedford soon came. With 30 minutes to stretch my legs, I went to various parts to note down several Class 700's which was there, plus a couple more which arrived as well as the various EMR Meridians which went flying through.

At 15:10, my next move was 230004 to Bletchley, it was a bit of a gamble owing to the teething troubles that the class had, and also that most services are also replaced with a bus too, but needless to say, the jolly to Bletchley was effortless. Vivarail should also be pleased with a great product - in my eyes anyway. The Class 230's are spacious and airy, and the seats are OK too. Just a couple of minutes late arriving into Bletchley, I was able to have a glimpse at the work that is currently taking place to reinvigorate the East-West rail link, it seems strange seeing the concrete flyover no more, but a more modern concrete one is eventually going to go in, there's already a box-type structure over the WCML.

16:15, and it was time to say bye to Bletchley, as 350108 whisked me away to Northampton, with classmate 350403, and soon enough we arrived at Northampton.

Another 30-minute wait, I was able to go to the shop on the station concourse for some food and drink, even having a quick natter with one of the ticket barrier staff too - socially distanced of course.

17:12, and another 8 car, 2-Class 350 formation arrived for the short hop to Rugby, 350239 and 350127 being the units and there was a fair few passengers on board, it is certainly pleasing to see punters return to the rail network especially in these uncertain times.

A short hope to Rugby, and the old bridge abutments of where the former Great Central Railway passed overhead still stand, despite the birdcage being removed some years ago now greet our arrival, onto Platform 1, a quick stroll downstairs, under the subway and back up to Platform 2 for my next trip, and also a cheeky photo of 57304 in the South Bay awaiting it's next call. 350267 was going to take me to Stafford (along with 350127 for company), which of course, Stafford is the furthest you can go on the WCML on this rover. Leaving Rugby, a rather tatty looking 70803 arrived from Doncaster, and a few minutes later, we overtook 66712 at Brinklow, which was working 4M47 London Gateway to Hams Hall, a look at RTT revealed that it left just over 2 hours late.
Approaching Rugeley Trent Valley, the skyline looks so different now that the 4 cooling towers of Rugeley Power Station are no more, having been demolished the day before.

Arriving into Stafford, it was over to Platform 1 for 350237 and 350241 to take me back to Nuneaton, where I ended my day - well I hung about for 90036 and 90019 working 4S47 first as that passed Brinklow as I was just getting off of the train at Nuneaton.

Miles Covered: 248.

Day #2 will be tomorrow ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Interesting read. I did the same rover last week but never ventured onto the WCML 'bits'.

Purely being pedantic, can I suggest putting the write up for all 3 days of the rover in this thread? Would seem sensible to keep it together.

Iskra

Established Member
Interesting that you rate the 230's. You didn't get a shot of the interior that you could share did you please?

CW2

Established Member
Thanks for talking the time to write this. It's interesting to see things through somebody else's eyes.

james60059

DAY 2 - 09/06/21.
As per Monday, it was another start from Nuneaton. 170622 was my first ride of the day from Nuneaton to Leicester, stopping first at my local shack of Hinckley - as already mentioned, I favour Nuneaton as there's more connections available :lol:. Leicester, was my first destination, where I had a 20 minute wait, as it was nice, I went over to Platform 3 to photograph a couple of Northbound workings, well one passenger service and a freight; 66722 working from Wellingborough to Tunstead. Back over to Platform 2, for my next ride:.

222002, was my ride from Leicester to Sheffield, and we enjoyed a nice spirited run up the MML, calling only at Derby, Chesterfield and finally Sheffield. I have to admit that I actually like the Class 222 Meridian trains, speeding through Loughborough, the new bridge, which at some point in the not too distant future will once again carry the Great Central Railway over the Midland Mainline, seems ready and waiting to welcome her first customers to cross (once the associated earthworks and bridges are complete obviously). Arriving at Derby, and passing the associated RTC, I was hoping to get a few loco "cops", sadly this wasn't to be as there was a line of rolling stock in the way but Hey Ho. Arriving into Sheffield, it was a brisk walk to Platform 1B for my third ride of the day.

185117, with 185151 for company, arrived with the service to Cleethorpes, I was way down the front of the platform, as I was going all the way to Cleethorpes, I was assuming I would need to be in the front so, as soon as I was off, I wouldn't have far to walk round for my next connection, also the front coach was quiet too as those boarding seemed to head for the rear unit..Away from Sheffield on time at 11:11 it was a steady run to Meadowhall, before branching off at Mexborough and taking the route to Doncaster. Again, on the approach to Doncaster, I was hoping to get a glimpse of any loco's on Roberts Road, this was more or less denied as well, due to a rake of wagons obscuring the view, although I managed to read one loco; 66797, better than nothing I guess..
Leaving Doncaster, and crossing the ECML on the level, we headed towards Hatfield & Stainforth, and our next call of Scunthorpe, we were briefly signal checked as a biomass train from Immingham to Drax was routed in front of us, taking the line past the former Thorpe Marsh Power Station, this didn't cause us to lose much time however and we were soon on the way, powering past the remains of the Hatfield Colliery with some track still extant, albeit heavily overgrown and very rusty. Minutes later, the industrial landscape of Scunthorpe came into view, as we slowed down for the stop at Scunthorpe, if you're into heavy industry, you'll find the Scunthorpe steel works complex most awe inspiring, with the many mills and furnaces dotted around, not to mention the odd coal train parked up with coal to feed the hungry furnaces.
The industrial landscape soon changes again to countryside as we head towards Barnetby, and our next stop, Barnetby looks so different now since the semaphore signals and associated signal boxes were decommissioned, thankfully both boxes still stand, I had a Plan B of maybe staying at Barnetby for an hour or 2, but the line up on Realtime Trains looked disappointing, hard to think once upon a time in Barnetby, you would need eyes in the back of your head as it was that busy with coal trains going to and from the various Power Stations in Megawatt Alley and further afield, not to mention the coal and iron ore for Scunthorpe steel works, which still run, plus oil trains from the Humberside refineries of Lindsey and Humber - again, still runners.
The abandoned station at Brocklesby passed us by, before our next stop at Habrough, by this point we were following the slower East Midlands Railway service from Barton-on-Humber which calls at every station en-route to Cleethorpes, despite this, we were only a couple of minutes late arriving into Cleethorpes, and an easy cross platform interchange was made with the Barton service.

Away from Cleethorpes at 13:56 in the hands of 153379, with 153384 for company, I follow the route that I arrive in as far as Habrough, where we branch off towards Ulceby, a small 1 platform job, which also sees the double track line diverge off towards the Humberside refineries and Immingham Port. The route out to Barton is mainly rural, although the industry at the ports can clearly be seen, most of the line is jointed track from Ulceby to Barton too, although, unusually it retains double track from just after Ulceby to Oxmarsh Lane Level Crossing, where it becomes single track for the run into Barton, with just the 1tp2h on the route nowadays maybe a single track throughout would suffice?.
Arriving into Barton, a quick change of unit was made before we headed back down the branch to Cleethorpes, there isn't really much turnaround at either end for the service.

Arriving back in Cleethorpes, I was feeling peckish, so it was out to The Mermaid Fish and Chips, which is right outside of the station, and then onto the beach front to enjoy the view and my dinner, and to soak up some sun before heading back to the station, and back home.

Another TransPennine duo, in the shape of 185130 and 185149 was waiting, and unlike the rest of the passengers, who seemed to hover around the rear unit, I made my way to the front of the train, in fact a couple of other passengers did the same too, although I ended up having the first carriage to myself, as far as Scunthorpe anyway, the journey back to Doncaster was smooth and effortless, and we soon arrived, getting off, I made way to the bottom of Platform 3 for a bit, a number of Class 91's (91109 being one) being visible over the other side by the works, awaiting their fate. On a side note, it's pleasing to see enthusiasts returning, and subsequently being allowed on to major stations again.

My 7th ride of the day soon arrives, and what could be better than a MKIV set??, DVT 82225 was leading, with 91101 propelling on the rear, and with the next stop being Peterborough - which was also where I wanted to be - more or less 70 miles, what better way to travel?. Speeding through the Yorkshire and Lincolnshire countryside, there wasn't really much to write about other than the fact what a pleasant journey it was.

Arriving into Peterborough a minute or so late, I indulged in a bit of spotting and photography where possible, as with Doncaster, there was a few enthusiasts dotted about the place which was also pleasing to see as it wasn't that long ago staff were a bit hesitant about spotters being on the station, I think though the general consensus is as long as you wear a face covering (unless medically exempt) and practice social distancing (I did that even pre-Covid anyway :lol:) and obey the rules then there is no issue.

My 8th, and final journey was in the hands of 170105 for the jaunt back to Nuneaton, leaving on time, we soon passed the work site at Werrington Junction where a dive under is being constructed, looks to be coming on well too. Parting company with the ECML at Maxey, we head into Rutland and Leicestershire calling at stops of Stamford, Oakham and Melton Mowbray, before we join the MML at Syston, Leicester wasn't long up on us, and then the final push to Nuneaton. 66305 was waiting in the loop at Wigston North Junction for it's booked path behind us on the loaded ballast from Stud Farm to Crewe Basford Hall. A nice spirited run to Nuneaton was had, passing through my local shack at a fair rate of knots (no idea what the line speed is here, 70mph perhaps at a guess), before finally arriving into Nuneaton. Nuneaton seemed pretty desolate, with just 172216 idling over on Platform 1 ready to work 2G94 18:16 to Leamington Spa. On that note, it was into the car and home I went.

TOTAL MILES COVERED: 392.

My Third, and final day will be on Friday 8-)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I think I flagged 222002 on Wednesday, I'm sure I saw it on the working you did and went for 156413 on the 1048 Crewe instead. I was on a Derbyshire Wayfarer, primarily hunting 222s, and I don't know if I'd personally rate them that much. I didn't years ago and while I don't hate them as much these days I'm not a fan either.

Certainly a fun day there, and glad to see you've had the sense to put all 3 days in one thread. Much easier to keep track of the whole tale :)

james60059

FRIDAY - 11/06/21.
Usual start at base camp, Nuneaton.

09:55, 350267 was my first ride of the day to my first destination of Stafford, just the 4 coaches but it didn't seem too bad inside with plenty of space for everyone. Calling at the usual stops on the Trent Valley, we were in Stafford on time. Getting off of the train, and onto the platform I began sorting my bag out when I heard a woman shout "EXCUSE ME EXCUSE ME, YOU'VE LEFT YOUR PHONE" Turning around, she was pointing at me. Turned out it had fallen out of my pocket when I had got up to get off. After a quick Thank You and wishing her all the best, 350267 headed off on it's jaunt to Crewe, whilst I breathed a sigh of relief.

My next stage, was the short hop to Stoke-on-Trent, following the most Western boundary of the rover ticket, but, perhaps more importantly, going over the new track work at Norton Bridge, so at least I can say I've done it :lol:, this was another on time departure and was quite quick, although passing through the stations of Barlaston and Wedgwood it seemed some sort of work has been taking place, hard to believe that they haven't had a train call at them since the early 2000's. Arriving into Stoke on time also, I had a small wait for my next leg to Derby.

156498 was my next chariot on the 11:35 to Derby, I have a soft spot for the Sprinter trains as they were once a regular visitor in my local shacks of Coventry and later, Hinckley, I also used this opportunity to grab a bit of shut eye after my ticket was checked, although before I knew where we was, we approaching Stenson Junction - the 5 cooling towers of the defunct Willington Power Station still standing proud despite being closed some 20+ years ago. I do wonder why these are still standing, despite Power Stations that have closed much later have been demolished; Rugeley being a prime example.
Derby was soon upon us, and it was literally a brisk walk up the footbridge to Platform 5 for my next part of the journey.

East Midlands Railway's 222021 arrived, with the Sheffield service, I had anticipated a cozy feel on the 5-coach train but as it happened, I had a bay-of-4 to myself all the way to Sheffield, as mentioned earlier, it's a nice spirited run to Sheffield, calling only at Chesterfield.

With Sheffield reached, I had a 15 minute wait for my next service, which gave me a bit of time to do some number crunching.

I was pleased when I seen my next unit; 195010 to New Mills Central, it was to be my first time on a Class 195. My first impressions were it was quite a bright and airy train, even though we were at capacity when we left Sheffield it still didn't feel too claustrophobic, the trip out along the Hope Valley line is definitely awe inspiring although to the regulars it might be seen as just another line, it seems well patronised however, especially with ramblers and cyclists. Arriving into New Mills Central, I had 15 minutes for my next train - back the way I had come into Sheffield, but I still had time to have a look around and admire the view, even a glimpse at the old tunnel just to the East of the station where a small, 2½ mile long branch went to Hayfield.

Soon enough, another 195; 195006 rolled in from Manchester Piccadilly to Sheffield, still quite busy, I was able to get a seat. Arriving back into Sheffield, there was quite a wait of about 40 minutes, this gave me time to visit the Pumpkin Shop for some much needed refreshment and afterwards, some photography and number crunching.

At 15:45, yet another Class 195; 195009 would take me to Lincoln Central, as with the trains on the Hope Valley, it was quite cosy but just about everyone had a seat, although many appeared to have alighted at Worksop. Passing under the East Coast Mainline at Retford, we soon passed the impressive sight of West Burton Power Station, along with Cottam a short distance away, looking eerily quiet, I believe Cottam is now shut whilst West Burton doesn't have long left.

Arriving into Lincoln Central, my plan was to then travel to Peterborough via Spalding on the Joint Line, however, the 17:50 departure was soon announced as being cancelled due to lack of train crew, a quick rethink and some planning on RTT seen me decide to head to Peterborough via Newark North Gate instead, having photographed a couple of freight services and some units at Lincoln Central, I soon headed to a waiting 158812 for the short hop to Newark North Gate.

The journey to Newark North Gate isn't too long and we soon arrived, with a 20-ish minute wait, I tried to make a reservation on LNER's website for the 18:56 service - which was a 5-car Azuma but was told that there was no seats available. HOWEVER, 801106 rolled in, and sure enough, carriage "C" only had a few people in, so much so I had a bay of 4 to myself.

Although I have the utmost respect for LNER, and XC, they really need to look at this reservation-only system, because someone could easily be put off from using the services should the need arise, like someone making an emergency trip or something. Even more so, there was a fair number of seats with reservations that weren't even occupied from it's starting point in York.

Anyway, with that my only gripe, I must admit to being impressed with the LNER Azuma trains, certainly go like, shall we say, excrement off a spade.

Arriving into my penultimate destination; Peterborough, I indulged in some more togging and number crunching, it is also pleasing to note that enthusiasts seem to be OK at Lincoln and Peterborough now, I know from previous threads that at one point spotting was a big NO at these, and other stations. At Peterborough, I also scratched off my first ever Greater Anglia FLIRT train - in this case, 755330 which was to work back to Colchester. Seeing the FLIRT has made me determined to have sample on one later this Summer all being well.

My last trip of the Rover, 170636 would take me back to Nuneaton, as with the LNER situation, a "Ten Minute Reservation" yielded a "No seat availability", despite the front coach only having a handful of passengers in, the rest of the train didn't look too bad either. Only a few minutes late leaving Peterborough, we were more or less on time arriving at Leicester after a good run through Leicestershire and Rutland. Leaving Leicester, and taking the South Leicestershire line to Nuneaton, we sped through the local stations of South Wigston, Narborough and my local, Hinckley, bit strange really seeing as I would be back in Hinckley within half an hour. As mentioned before, more often than not, I will always use Nuneaton as a starting point with the better connections and car parking.

MILEAGE: 367.
TOTAL MILEAGE: 1007.

james60059

I think I flagged 222002 on Wednesday, I'm sure I saw it on the working you did and went for 156413 on the 1048 Crewe instead. I was on a Derbyshire Wayfarer, primarily hunting 222s, and I don't know if I'd personally rate them that much. I didn't years ago and while I don't hate them as much these days I'm not a fan either.

Certainly a fun day there, and glad to see you've had the sense to put all 3 days in one thread. Much easier to keep track of the whole tale :)

Definitely easier to do something like this in one thread rather than a separate thread for each day. Hope you had a good day yourself on the Wayfarer too 8-) .

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Definitely easier to do something like this in one thread rather than a separate thread for each day. Hope you had a good day yourself on the Wayfarer too 8-) .

I did thanks, first one in years. I have a trip report to type for it but the weather's been too good to stay indoors for all that long lately. Now I'm almost back to full health, I'm making a gentle return to exercise again :D

My Wayfarer had a lot of leaps between Derby and Chesterfield, but it did yield a lot of results. Still weird not seeing XC calling there at present, but understandable.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I wonder what the odds of 2 separate people being on the same train using the same 3-in-7 East Midlands rover would be ;)

That 170 was indeed lightly loaded in the front coach

PXL_20210611_193435322.jpg

D6130

Established Member
the 5 cooling towers of the defunct Willington Power Station still standing proud despite being closed some 20+ years ago. I do wonder why these are still standing, despite Power Stations that have closed much later have been demolished; Rugeley being a prime example.
A very interesting and enjoyable read....you obviously made the most of your ticket. IIRC, the Willington cooling towers have survived because there are Peregrine Falcons nesting in the aircraft warning light niches at the tops. Happy to be corrected if I'm mistaken, of course.

Edit: I have discovered that at some time in the mid-1960s, one of the Willington 'A' power station's generating units' main exciter failed and the CEGB hired class 45 loco number D54 (later 45 023) "Royal Pioneer Corps" from BR as a stand-in until a new unit could be obtained. (Source: The History of Willington Power Station" by Dave Harris on Crepello.com).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.