• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

3 Rural/Scenic routes in 1 day trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike99

Hi all, Feeling pleased with myself, planning a day out on my ALR for Saturday 5th June. Starting at either Nuneaton or Hinckley I looked to fit in Lancaster via Sellafield to Carlisle and Carlisle via Dumfries. Engineering work on the WCML north of Carlisle after midday scuppered a few ideas. I've settled on something different as follows:-

Hinckley 06:30
Leicester 06:50 -- 07:10
Sheffield 08:06 -- 08:35 Via Denby
Huddersfield 09:50 -- 10:12
Leeds 10:31 -- 10:49 Via Ribblehead
Carlisle 13:31 -- 14:08 via Sellafield
Barrow In Furness 16:40 -- 16:47
Preston 18:06 -- 18:17
New Street 20:06 -- 20:52
Hinckley 21:30

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Looks like a long day full of variety! An ALR, oh wow I haven't done one for years but it would be good fun. One is getting ideas...

Certainly all looks very doable, I would advise to have a Plan B in case of delays into Barrow though. I'm sure that the majority of the time the connection makes just fine, but just 7 minutes to do the change would personally have me looking at alternative journeys just in case.

Mike99

Looks like a long day full of variety! An ALR, oh wow I haven't done one for years but it would be good fun. One is getting ideas...

Certainly all looks very doable, I would advise to have a Plan B in case of delays into Barrow though. I'm sure that the majority of the time the connection makes just fine, but just 7 minutes to do the change would personally have me looking at alternative journeys just in case.
Yes good advice, thank you, I've wanted to do Settle & Carlisle and the Cumbrian Coast in consecutive journeys for a while so very pleased. I'm doing Inverness - Aberdeen - Edinburgh - Plymouth - Penzance during my ALR although not on the 08:20 from Aberdeen. I'm only doing that trip to say I've done it

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Yes good advice, thank you, I've wanted to do Settle & Carlisle and the Cumbrian Coast in consecutive journeys for a while so very pleased. I'm doing Inverness - Aberdeen - Edinburgh - Plymouth - Penzance during my ALR although not on the 08:20 from Aberdeen. I'm only doing that trip to say I've done it

Fair enough, hopefully it'll work out then :) Inverness to Penzance via Aberdeen and the ECML will be a mighty long journey! I actually had a seat reservation on the 0820 Aberdeen to Penzance on my 14 day ALR, way back in 2012, but I never did it after all. I think I made the right choice, although I do wonder what would have been if I had actually done it!

D6130

Established Member
How about Glasgow-Mallaig-(ferry)Armadale(bus) Kyle of Lochalsh-Inverness-Glasgow? Doable in one day in pre-Covid times....preferably in late-May/June/early-July to take advantage of maximum daylight over the HML in the evening.

Mike99

Yes I agree I'm out and about the first two weeks of June to make the most of the daylight. I've done ALR in November and February and it can be bitterly cold hanging around the likes of Wakefield Kirkgate and the like.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Yes I agree I'm out and about the first two weeks of June to make the most of the daylight. I've done ALR in November and February and it can be bitterly cold hanging around the likes of Wakefield Kirkgate and the like.
I'll second that having waited 20 mins in the rain at Kirkgate yesterday!

I've done a November ALR before as it was the only time I could squeeze one in and it was fine, just a little boring when it gets dark. I always do 1st class so that adds to the interest, although my July one this year may end up being standard class if the 1st upgrade isnt worth it with the current reduced offerings. Keeping my options open with my premier inn bookings.

Status
Not open for further replies.