• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

30 minutes or less to work for 75% of UK workers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railjet

From the BBC.

I must admit, I would have thought more than 25% of workers spend over half-an-hour to get to work. I guess the fact that now quite a few people work from home skews the distribution somewhat.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ACE1888

Personally, it takes 2 Mins from my front door to the clocking in machine, which is just the way i like it! Done the drive to work thing in the past(used to take 45 mins on a bad day), never again...

j0hn0

From the BBC.

I must admit, I would have thought more than 25% of workers spend over half-an-hour to get to work. I guess the fact that now quite a few people work from home skews the distribution somewhat.

Me too, this sounds like skewed statistics to me.

Most people in this whole London office takes about an hour, my boss stops in a hotel every day of the week, my team all take well over an hour, despite living closer than me to London. My friend Dave lives in brixton and it takes him about 40 minutes.

I wonder if this actually includes door to door time. My train (if I want to stand) takes 20 minutes, but door to door it's about 50 minutes.

SS4

Established Member
Looks like dodgy maths is afoot here and not just in the figures that the ONS were given (depending on traffic my journey could take 30mins or 60mins whereas the journey back would take around an hour)

Relatively poor provision of public transport outside London will mean more people use their cars (this has been shown in the figures). In turn, this will drive down journey times which is reflected in the stats.

In addition these statistics are relatively out of date, the Coalition are planning to cut public sector jobs so it will be interesting to see the effect on commute time there.

More annoyingly from my Non-London point of view it also shows the skew in earnings between those in London and those that are not

Chapeltom

Established Member
Was a 40 minute journey to college by bus for me.

Either going to be a 50 minute train journey to uni, 1 hour 20 door to door
OR
Train journeys of 40 minutes, 40 minutes, 30 minutes - 2 hours 40 door to door.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Depending on my shift it takes me between 30mins-1 hour for my commute to and from work on public transport....and I live local. Before I got my transfer I often had in excess of a 2 hour commute from home to work, now that was hard work!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
At the moment, it takes me 35 minutes to get from my front door to where I work. This includes the time spent walking to and from the station at each end.

However, if anyone asked me directly how long does it take you to ge tto work, I would probably say 20 minutes, as that is the length of the actual train journey!

Status
Not open for further replies.