• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

300,000 posts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben

Moderators are we going to do anything about the spamfest above or are we letting moderation standards slip once again?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ben

Just fed up of thread hi-jacking by newbie members that post a few hundred posts of crap and **** off...

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Can I just say I can admit I was a bit annoying at the start but come on guys this thread was posted espicially for the 300,000th post's and other's are turning it into stupid things and spam what is the need for it?

Why cant they use there PM facilitys for off-topic stuff?

dan_atki

Established Member
That's three times I've deleted the same spam style posting off the same member - they know who they are. May I remind you it is against the rules to re-post anything a member of staff has removed - next time there will be an infraction waiting.

(Referring to theblackwatch's post) Surely in a thread like this, chit chat is to be expected. It's an announcement about post counts, which **wasn't** locked after posting. What else were people going to post about - Newton's Third Law? I'm not try'na put down you guys and I think overall the attitudes here are friendly and welcoming but surely threatening people with warnings for chit chatting in this thread, is a bit like putting down sandwiches in front of five year olds and then belting them when they start to eat them - no?

Just sayin'.

theblackwatch

Established Member
(Referring to theblackwatch's post) Surely in a thread like this, chit chat is to be expected. It's an announcement about post counts, which **wasn't** locked after posting. What else were people going to post about - Newton's Third Law? I'm not try'na put down you guys and I think overall the attitudes here are friendly and welcoming but surely threatening people with warnings for chit chatting in this thread, is a bit like putting down sandwiches in front of five year olds and then belting them when they start to eat them - no?

Just sayin'.

Just because a thread isn't locked doesn't make it compulsory to post drivel on it - imagine if every active member (and we've had 829 active in the past 30 days) decided they had to post just because a thread was open! The odd comments are fine, but we will not have a thread being taken over by drivel and spam by 2 or 3 people.

monkey

Just because a thread isn't locked doesn't make it compulsory to post drivel on it - imagine if every active member (and we've had 829 active in the past 30 days) decided they had to post just because a thread was open! The odd comments are fine, but we will not have a thread being taken over by drivel and spam by 2 or 3 people.
...this is another example of the anal over seriousness applied to this forum...

I'm in two minds about the whole thing. While I understand not locking a thread like this one is no excuse for chat (which is quite correct) I still think it's a little odd that such seriousness is taken when people **do** chat, in a thread like this. I also made a very kind suggestion not too long ago that we have 'chat/babble' thread to keep it off the forums in general, something which I have seen implemented in other forums where off topic chat was a serious problem and believe me - it works. It keeps users happy, rather than just throwing the rulebook at them constantly, and it keeps mods happy for not having to keep reprimanding said users. My idea didn't go down well here, lets just say. I do like it here but sometimes I feel like I am in a bit of a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' situation.

I think my child/sandwich analogy accurately describes what I am saying quite well. We are humans afterall, and chatting is something most of us do well...

dan_atki

Established Member
I also made a very kind suggestion not too long ago that we have 'chat/babble' thread to keep it off the forums in general, something which I have seen implemented in other forums where off topic chat was a serious problem and believe me - it works.

We had one. It didn't work as intended and caused us more trouble. It was closed as a result. I am certain it will not re-open anytime soon.

Chatty style posts are only a problem when they add nothing constructive to the topic being discussed - e.g. a post solely of 'lol' or ':lol:' is liable to get deleted when spotted. People (read: all members - not just staff) do not like to sift through such postings in topics they may be interested in.

...that's why I come here a lot less now...

I do too but I think most people do after the first few weeks once the initial excitement has died down, more than anything.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
We had one. It didn't work as intended and caused us more trouble. It was closed as a result. I am certain it will not re-open anytime soon.

Chatty style posts are only a problem when they add nothing constructive to the topic being discussed - e.g. a post solely of 'lol' or ':lol:' is liable to get deleted when spotted. People (read: all members - not just staff) do not like to sift through such postings in topics they may be interested in.

Interesting... I am surprised at that, but i can see it from your point of view as well.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I don't chat in threads to cause trouble I am just a naturally chatty person...

monkey

(read: all members - not just staff)
...see what I mean "staff", please guys don't flatter yourselves you're just mods of an internet forum its not exactly career - i'm mod on another board. anyway that's all I have to say on the matter - guess its your place, a place you want without any joy, but your place never the less...

Hey I wouldn't go that far. There's plenty of joy here it's just admittedly restricted a little. I can understand it... I just find it a bit odd at times. It would be interesting though to see how you moderate your board. For all you know these guys just get told what to do and do it.

monkey

^Its not my board, I was just a user and was asked to do it. I just don't see the harm in chat/off topicness - keeps forums lively. and I also don't get this thing about "keeping the forum professional". forums by their nature aren't meant to be so formal, you can't put it in a straitjacket censoring normal chat. if it is offensive/prejudiced, inciting hate etc...fine censor away, but I just think doing it to normal chat sucks the joy out of it all...

Last edited:

theblackwatch

Established Member
At the end of the day, if you don't like this forum, its style or the way it is run, you don't have to visit. The fact that we now have more posts (95% of which are decent) and active members than when the forum was well over 25% drivel posted by about 10 people shows, I think, that we did the right thing to cut out the crap. We aren't going to alter the way it is run just because, out of the 3000+ members we have, two relatively new ones want it changing.

dan_atki

Established Member
...see what I mean "staff", please guys don't flatter yourselves you're just mods of an internet forum its not exactly career

Definition of 'staff': 'personnel who assist their superior in carrying out an assigned task'. I think I fit that description in the duties I undertake here. Besides, many more exciting things happen in my life to tell people about than being a moderator of a forum, and it isn't something I say to people in an attempt to make myself look cool.

Generally here, 'staff' refers collectively to moderators and administrators - and the term 'staff' is used in the forum rules to this effect.

As for keeping the forum 'professional' well there are many one off posters who come here to seek advice on a particular matter (this is normally fares but others do crop up) and then post no more. They will not sign up to a forum where every other post is a load of rubbish so there has to be some standard. We have set our standard and explained it to the members in the form of an announcement a couple of weeks ago.

As has been said, if you don't feel you fit in here then we're not going to beg you to keep posting. If, on the other hand, you do want to post here, take part in discussions, and meet new people then by all means stay. All we ask is that you observe the quality guidelines and not make spammy postings which are only for the benefit of one other member and the conversation you* are having with them.

*I don't mean you as in you personally here - I mean it as a general term. Spam style postings mainly occur when 2/3 people are posting a whole conversation in a thread. Visitor/Private messaging is there for a reason ;).

Ben

At the end of the day, if you don't like this forum, its style or the way it is run, you don't have to visit. The fact that we now have more posts (95% of which are decent) and active members than when the forum was well over 25% drivel posted by about 10 people shows, I think, that we did the right thing to cut out the crap. We aren't going to alter the way it is run just because, out of the 3000+ members we have, two relatively new ones want it changing.

I agree!

Good moderation makes the place look professional and well run!

Monkey and JustinStacey.x - I have been here when the moderation has been to be frank... **** poor! but this bunch (especially dan_atki and theblackwatch) are top notch.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
...see what I mean "staff", please guys don't flatter yourselves you're just mods of an internet forum its not exactly career - i'm mod on another board. anyway that's all I have to say on the matter - guess its your place, a place you want without any joy, but your place never the less...

I think there is no need to for the sort of attitude/behaviour
Towards the moderators as they have done nothing to no-one.

I have been watching this thread for the last couple of days
and the people affending are treating the moderators with no respect even though the mods were only trying to explain in a nice way that spam is not tolerated on the site.

What I want to know if you really dont like the site "Monkey" why dont you just not come back or just stick to the rule's (which are very fare) and enjoy your stay instead of arguing with the mod's and not listening to them.

I think if people are not going to listen they'll cause this thread to be closed(I would personally to stop this happening)or they'll get put on moderation which aint nice let me tell you.Grow up and respect people I would consider your self very lucky already your not on moderation.Final thing to say is GROW UP.

I think some people should have far more respect for others,
Regards

Last edited:

monkey

^^Just to clarify, I wasn't arguing with the mods. I was just expressing my opinion - if the mods can't take an opinion different to theirs then they are the ones that need to grow up. expressing an opinion different to someone elses is not "disrespectful", I havn't been rude or offensive etc. I didn't expect them to change the rules, cos its their site, and good for you if you like the rules - but I'm not gonna suck up the mods, when I don't agree with them on an issue. I don't give a carte blanche to anyone on an opinion, not even friends, so I'm not gonna give it to a bunch of strangers on a random forum. I was just expressing my opinion...

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
^^Just to clarify, I wasn't arguing with the mods. I was just expressing my opinion - if the mods can't take an opinion different to theirs then they are the ones that need to grow up. expressing an opinion different to someone elses is not "disrespectful", I havn't been rude or offensive etc. I didn't expect them to change the rules, cos its their site, and good for you if you like the rules - but I'm not gonna suck up the mods, when I don't agree with them on an issue. I don't give a carte blanche to anyone on an opinion, not even friends, so I'm not gonna give it to a bunch of strangers on a random forum. I was just expressing my opinion...

You are allowed your opinion and I am allowed mine, I said my opinion and thats-that but you could of quoted me...

Anyway just for the record I have no problem with you and respect your opinion but to treat people nasty when there nice to you is out of order and this is the last thing I am saying because I am not getting into a argument or causing more spam as there's enough of it already.

No-one's treating anyone nasty. There is a lot of sucking up going on though and it's amusing, to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.