• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

3000 applicants so far for TPE trainee dvr jobs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VTPreston_Tez

TPE must be one of the fastest growing TOC's at the min. They are opening new depots in Preston and Liverpool - lots of their routes are being wired and they have excellent performance figures.

Hang on - when does Preston depot open? If it's by the end of this year I might have a chance with work experience.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DI

Does anyone know how big the Liverpool drivers depot will be?
Has anyone got the link to TPE new proposed timetable?
Thanks

20 drivers
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You mean we LOSE (not loose) 50%? That's you out of the train-driving profession. Henceforth I expect every new driver to know the route to Oxford because they spent at least three years there.

:roll:

notadriver

Established Member
I blame my iPhone for spelling mistakes had any missing words. I'm usually quite articulate - honest! :o

GB

Established Member
I could be wrong, but I imagine "always" is flagged because it is a word that is thrown around by alot of applicants without really thinking.

"I always do this"..."I always do that".... "I'm always"... blah blah blah. HR departments see right through this sort of stuff.

As I said, I could well be wrong though.

Beveridges

Established Member
3000 applicants ?
Probably 1000 will fail to battle with the poor user interface of the online forms and fail to submit.
Another 1000 will probably submit but their form gets auto rejected due to words like always, etc or ticking the wrong boxes or selecting the wrong option from the drop down lists.
Out of what remains a lot of them may be underqualified, poorly written (etc) so have no chance again.
Out of what remains at that, another lot will probably drop out at one the stages.
Then the psychometric tests fail 60%.
Even though I have no intention of bothering applying, I wouldn't be too intimidated by the 3000 figure.
Peoples patience only goes so far, and TPEs online forms are very testing. I k ow I have given up on one in anger in the past, and this is coming from someone who has a binary Degree in computer programming.

Last edited:

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I must admit that the form nearly caused me to give up on the application, but I went away for a couple of hours and came back to it. The whole process was frustrating and I didn't like not being able to return to the initial pages to check over the basic information before continuing the application. Luckily, I'm not a fan of using 'always' - so hopefully avoided that pitfall.

Fingers crossed I suppose!

Beveridges

Established Member
Using the word "always" is banned because who really *always* does what they say they do on the forms without exception.

IIRC (If I remember correctly) Religious is another word that is banned.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Fair enough, though I don't see an issue in phrases like "the system always requires at least one person to be logged in" or similar, which is more like what I put in one example... ah never mind, I'd rather work for Northern anyway ;)

Fair enough, though I don't see an issue in phrases like "the system always requires at least one person to be logged in" or similar, which is more like what I put in one example... ah never mind, I'd rather work for Northern anyway ;)

It's just an 'off the shelf' piece of recruitment software that helps pre-screen certain applications.

Netto

ex forces and professional people are currently applying.

One of which is application...Just hope it's up to scratch, have been waiting for the right moment and the right vacancy for the last 3 years!

First post, hello all...!

:D

Last edited:

SkinnyDave

Established Member
What depots has everyone applied for?

I've went for Liverpool as the wife and I want to live in and around Chester :D

Intercity

We loose about 50% automatically due to spelling errors etc, the rest are being read and shortlisted. The standard is very high and improving as the word spreads. Lots of graduates, ex forces and professional people are currently applying.

out of interest, are ex forces personnel looked upon favourably when applying for these types of jobs and are there any particular branches/trades that are favoured?

out of interest, are ex forces personnel looked upon favourably when applying for these types of jobs and are there any particular branches/trades that are favoured?

I believe they are on the grounds they meet the criteria of working within rules, to a set standard, experience of stress etc...

theblackwatch

Established Member
We loose about 50% automatically due to spelling errors etc, the rest are being read and shortlisted. The standard is very high and improving as the word spreads. Lots of graduates, ex forces and professional people are currently applying.

loose = opposite of tight! Are you one of the 50%? :lol:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Hang on - when does Preston depot open? If it's by the end of this year I might have a chance with work experience.

I heard rumours about this years ago - obviously others will confirm but I believe it is just a traincrew depot (drivers and guards), so not much chance of a placement I'm afraid, I can't imagine in this day and age you'll be allowed to shadow guards or go for cab rides more than once or twice. You're best applying to somewhere that has administrational and non-onboard roles, like VT at Preston, you'll stand a much better chance.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Im sure they had intake recently for Trainee Drivers at Preston and they are being trained on both 185 & 350s
Who drives the Scottish legs of the TPE routes as there is no driver depots in Scotland?

You mean we LOSE (not loose) 50%? That's you out of the train-driving profession. Henceforth I expect every new driver to know the route to Oxford because they spent at least three years there.

I was just about to quote the lose/loose thing myself!

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Will they have already started going through the existing applications due to the amount received?
Or will they wait until after the closing date to start going through them all?

A-driver

Established Member
Im sure they had intake recently for Trainee Drivers at Preston and they are being trained on both 185 & 350s
Who drives the Scottish legs of the TPE routes as there is no driver depots in Scotland?

I believe freight drivers work the Scottish portion-EWS or whatever they are called now.

387star

On Moderation
It's based only on the answers you give. That is why there is such a variety of people who become train drivers.

What is meant by that might be that more forces succeed as they have more of the experience required

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Well, good luck to everyone who still has applications in with TPE. I've withdrawn mine as I've been offered a good position elsewhere - not train driving, but still - maybe one day!

Status
Not open for further replies.