• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

306017 Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Following some comments on other threads regarding 306017, here is a relevant link to the National Railway Museum website

http://www.nrm.org.uk/supportus/restore-class-306-emu

Please help us to restore the Class 306 Electric Multiple Unit (EMU) which is a unique survivor from Britain’s first post-war Electrification scheme.

EMU 306 017 is the only survivor of 92 sets built to replace the steam service in 1949 at Metro-Cammell in Birmingham. When 306 017 ran its last service in 2002 it was likely to have done well over a million miles in service.

Acquired by the NRM in 2008, 306 017 was sent for display in June 2011 to the East Anglian Railway Museum at Chappel and Wakes Colne, Essex. We are now bringing the unit back to the National Railway Museum where our Conservation team will undertake cleaning of the interior, then carry out bodywork repairs and repaint it in its original 1940s livery.

There are three vehicles in the whole unit and we have already raised enough in donations to restore one of the vehicles. With your help we hope to complete all three units.

If you wish to support this important restoration, we would be grateful if you could return your contribution to:

The Development Team
National Railway Museum
Leeman Road
York
YO26 4XJ

Cheques should be made payable to: National Railway Museum.

Thank you for your support for the museum.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alexl92

Established Member
Do we know if this is cosmetic or whether the plan is to refurbish the underframe for use as hauled stock?

Established Member
Cosmetic restoration is the aim for now, then take it from there if viable. It would be nice to make it mobile, even if it has to be hauled, but one step at a time.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Is there an update to this desperately needed scheme to restore a fine old train?

Established Member
Awaiting movement from Chappel to possibly Shildon where it will be cosmetically restored. There are some logistical hurdles to overcome yet but hopefully a move will take place (by road) when the NRM and the EARM are ready.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Is there an update to this desperately needed scheme to restore a fine old train?

Yes - there's a feature on the NRM diesels & electrics in the latest Rail Express and it mentions that it is moving to Shildon and one of the firsts jobs is to treat it for pests (yes really! It is an important thing in conservation though).

Journeyman

Established Member
Good to see some effort being put into this very important train. Unfortunately I never got to ride on it while it was running. :(

When I was at Shildon a couple of months ago, I was very pleasantly surprised to see a 2-HAP EMU coach undergoing a very thorough restoration, so I'm glad they're taking preservation of these not-tremendously-glamorous exhibits seriously.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Good to see some effort being put into this very important train. Unfortunately I never got to ride on it while it was running. :(

When I was at Shildon a couple of months ago, I was very pleasantly surprised to see a 2-HAP EMU coach undergoing a very thorough restoration, so I'm glad they're taking preservation of these not-tremendously-glamorous exhibits seriously.

Excluding Flying Scotsman, the 2-HAP has apparently had more money spent on it than any other item of rolling stock in the collection in recent years (though there are those who still insist the NRM is only interested in steam). One of the forum's members has been helping out in its restoration as part of 'Project Commuter'.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Thank you so much for the information. That's really positive news. I've seen some recent photos and feared the worst.

Established Member
306017 left the East Anglian Railway Museum at Chappel and Wakes Colne today on three separate low loaders en route to Shildon for restoration. Luckily it was a glorious day so loading and negotiating the country lanes went well. Should make an odd sight on the A1 this evening.

Internally the unit is in quite good nick considering that it has been stored outside for years, so hopefully the restoration will not be too challenging.

Last edited:

AM9

Veteran Member
Would it not be historically incorrect to paint it as a 1949 unit now that it has been converted to ac with the pantograph on the centre car and an extension to the passenger saloon replacing the guard's area on the motor car? The 1960s BR green with the yellow half panel is quite in keeping.
It's a shame that one of the class 506 1500VDC units wasn't kept as that would be correct in it's original green.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
306017 left the East Anglian Railway Museum at Chappel and Wakes Colne today on three separate low loaders en route to Shildon for restoration. Luckily it was a glorious day so loading and negotiating the country lanes went well. Should make an odd sight on the A1 this evening.

Internally the unit is in quite good nick considering that it has been stored outside for years, so hopefully the restoration will not be too challenging.
Great news, thanks for the update.

Established Member
Some interior work is scheduled, but the external repaint may be a way off. A full assessment of the work required will take place later this year. The HAP has been more challenging than initially thought, but the 306 is perhaps in much better condition, despite its external appearance.

Last edited:
Any update on 306017, I can still remember bouncing up and down on them comfortable seats on the way to work like it was yesterday. Can’t believe there replacements are now being replaced where does the time go.

Haven't the NRM got some plans to convert it to battery power so it can run at 1 of the museums apparently?

Sure I read that a while back.

Status
Not open for further replies.