• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

319 '+ others' Goes Pop at Oxford Road

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jozhua

Established Member
Was just at Manchester Oxford Road on a 319 towards the airport and I was stood in the powered carriage.

Anyway, the thing goes pop pretty loudly, sparks fly everywhere and the lights go out.

I was already late for my flight because of the Castlefield Corridor joys, so I gave up and now am in an Uber :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jozhua

Established Member
Northern Assist is saying something about an issue with the electricity supply.

Train has been cancelled, glad I got out ASAP!

Mathew S

Established Member
A birds nest has been removed from the OHL at Ordsall Lane which cause one or two issues.
Causing a little bit more than one or two issues now. Perfect timing just as the Friday madness kicks in.

Surely this isn't all caused by a bird's nest?!

Mikey C

Established Member
Where did that bird's nest suddenly appear from? Did it drop down from elsewhere?

TheGarner

Are the current problems affecting trains through 13/14 caused by this then or is it another incident?

Jozhua

Established Member
Causal issue of bird nests on your 20,000 volt electrical cables.

How long do you have to neglect them before birds create nests on them :lol:

Was the issues with the 319 a result of the overheads and not the train?

LancasterRed

I'm following this from a friend's story but it seems either a 185/397 is trapped or has similarly gone boom somewhere in the Manchester area.

Not good.

timothyw9

To say the disruption is bad in Manchester tonight would be an understatement. Took me half an hour to get from Salford Crescent to Salford Central, normally a 2 minute jourey :lol:. Then took the train another half an hour to get to Victoria.

AMD

There was a damaged insulator at the location of the removed birds nest which was causing the system to trip, network rail eventually eventually had to take a line block to resolve, and being Manchester it's just caused one cluster**** of the service.

Jozhua

Established Member
Almost seems like it can't get any worse around Manchester, but somehow it does!

Almost every time I travel something goes wrong, never seen anything quite like it down in the Midlands and I thought the service could be a bit dodgy down there.

Plus the sparks I saw fly off the train at the station were immense! I'm surprised no-one was injured.

Dren Ahmeti

There was a damaged insulator at the location of the removed birds nest which was causing the system to trip, network rail eventually eventually had to take a line block to resolve, and being Manchester it's just caused one cluster**** of the service.
It’s because there’s pressure from all sides for NR not to take Line Blocks in order to sort things like this, which end up causing more issues than remedies!

Camden

Established Member
Plus the sparks I saw fly off the train at the station were immense! I'm surprised no-one was injured.
Nah, 25000 volts coarsing through thin cables metres above your head is perfectly safe, way safer than third rail. People on this forum said so.

AM9

Veteran Member
Nah, 25000 volts coarsing through thin cables metres above your head is perfectly safe, way safer than third rail. People on this forum said so.
Nothing is "perfectly safe", or even 'perfectly' anything, however, a lower number of deaths and serious injuries per km, caused by the presence of 25kV vs. 3rd rail is evidence, however 3rd rail nostalgia continues to grip some opinions such that they ignore the evidence.

Camden

Established Member
Isn't nostalgia something which concerns the past, rather than the present and future.

AM9

Veteran Member
Isn't nostalgia something which concerns the past, rather than the present and future.
Nostalgia is sentmental thought about the past, usually viewed through rose-coloured spectacles (not literally of course) but in the minds of some here it still seems as though we are all still in that past.

Status
Not open for further replies.