• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

319's used for LNWR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksBones

Or take some 365s (they're spare now, right?)

Or delay the 350 refurb programme to allow them to be fixed one by one?

Or, if the heating is working but just a bit slow (as I think it is, as I've not experienced a freezing one in the evening) leave it on overnight?

Or, along similar lines, plug in a couple of fan heaters overnight so at least the fabric of the train isn't cold?

There are always options. But it's not a TOC that I see as being interested in finding them.

Sorry I ruined your quote, I decided I was being rather over-charitable towards LNR in my post initially (I must be in a good mood or something, I don't know what's come over me!) so I changed the wording somewhat...!

Also I was coming at it from the standpoint that they were stuck with the 319s
(after all they were rather lumbered with the things after the DFT swapped LM's perfectly decent 321s for them) but I must admit I hadn't considered the 365 angle.

If you are right that the heating isn't actually broken and they're just not letting it warm up then that's just daft.

If it is broken and they know it is then as I say they could put some signs up explaining the issue until they've done something about it.

I certainly agree about the mismanagement of the 350 refurb programme and the regular short forms it is causing as I've posted before.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Silverlinky

Or take some 365s (they're spare now, right?) And carry out a traction conversion course for a large number of drivers and conductors at a time of industrial dispute and a general shortage of traincrew?

Or delay the 350 refurb programme to allow them to be fixed one by one? Delaying 350 refurbs? For the 319's which are not being kept? Really? So when the 319's start going back...and two are due to be returned in December, then how do you remove the 350's from service at a later date?

Or, if the heating is working but just a bit slow (as I think it is, as I've not experienced a freezing one in the evening) leave it on overnight? Not really an option as the unit is stabled in the yard pan down most nights as it has to come off for the leaf fall spray train.

Or, along similar lines, plug in a couple of fan heaters overnight so at least the fabric of the train isn't cold? Again, with pan down this would not be an option, and fan heaters left unattended all night?

There are always options. But it's not a TOC that I see as being interested in finding them. Probably because they are a stop gap unit, one of which runs on the Abbey all day, and the rest of which spend most of the day on Camden Carriage Sidings. They will be very far down the list of priorities at the moment!

Answered as above!!

zn1

I dont know why they just dont shove a 3 car 230 demu on the abbey flyer ...self contained..servicing and maintenance can be done at watford, no need for runs to and from BY for the thing .and shove the 319 in to a tring mainline circuit all day...

Doomotron

I dont know why they just dont shove a 3 car 230 demu on the abbey flyer ...self contained..servicing and maintenance can be done at watford, no need for runs to and from BY for the thing .and shove the 319 in to a tring mainline circuit all day...
They'd be spending money on a new train then...

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
On a lighter note does anyone else with children born in the 1990's think the front of a 319 looks like the Tellytubbie "La La"?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Not that much use as a four car when the rest of the 319s run as 12s though...

Doomotron

On a lighter note does anyone else with children born in the 1990's think the front of a 319 looks like the Tellytubbie "La La"?
I think they look like Pip and Emma from The Railway Series is they crashed into a brick wall (this works best with the original Govia Thameslink livery from the 90s :D).

Ladder23

Established Member
Why every morning do the 319’s seem to go to Camden?

AM9

Veteran Member
Add to the cost of new trains, then there's a maintenance facility to be provided at Watford Junction. Experience has shown that heavy lifting of gensets is a not infrequent 'quick fix'.
Aside from the considerations then of dragging a couple of 230s* down the busiest part of the WCML, if four transit engines are being shuttled up and down an electrified line all day, it might call for the infernal busway to be brought out of the waste bin again.

* at least one spare needed and it would mean frequent visits to the workshop if current reliability doesn't improve. :)

BucksBones

But there isn't a Tring circuit or even a self contained south WCML circuit; it's all interworked thanks to LNR's appalling mess of a timetable that they introduced in May, meaning that your 319 would end up on Rugeleys, Liverpools etc which obviously can't happen.

The non-St Albans 319s aren't used offpeak so in the event of a proper back-to-basics timetable recast more use could be made of them without affecting the Abbey line; no need for 230s. Unfortunately this won't happen....

DarloRich

Veteran Member
For the 319's which are not being kept? Really? So when the 319's start going back...and two are due to be returned in December, then how do you remove the 350's from service at a later date?

Surely LNWR are going to have to keep these units on longer? The service is poor already.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
They only operate peak extras, and stable at Camden between the peaks. I think this goes back to the way the last few 321s were used?

Yes, they were basically (in increased numbers to allow 12-car running) a direct replacement for the 321s, which headed to Scotland to reduce to 3-car. This made sense because 321s have one trailer coach with basically nothing under it - effectively a piece of LHCS - whereas 319s have equipment more distributed and so there isn't a coach with nothing.

Ladder23

Established Member
Can anyone expand on why the 319’s go to Camden everyday and sit there for hours on end ?

LA50041

Established Member
Can anyone expand on why the 319’s go to Camden everyday and sit there for hours on end ?
Because that’s what they’re diagrammed to do. They’re not needed for the off peak service

Ladder23

Established Member
Because that’s what they’re diagrammed to do. They’re not needed for the off peak service

Oh I see they're just a helping hand for the morning and evening rush, makes sense

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Ladder23

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.