• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

323 at Doncaster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan4291

Was at Doncaster yesterday and saw a WMT class 323 parked in the sidings on the west side of the station, pan down. Anyone know why it's there?

20210204_113112.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I believe they are having C4 exams done at Doncaster, there was a news article posted elsewhere but this is the only thing I can find referenced from a quick search.

West Midlands Trains has awarded Wabtec Rail a contract to undertake the C4 overhaul of 9 Class 323 units with the potential to add a further 2 units at a later stage. The programme will commence in September with completion towards the end of 2021. Wabtec Rail is the long-term incumbent of the Class 323 bogie and wheelset overhaul and it is excellent news the company has won this additional work including the vehicle scope. Various departments within Wabtec’s Doncaster facility will be involved in the successful delivery of this project. In addition, Faiveley Transport Birkenhead will supply many of the C4 components as the OEM.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nym

Established Member
Be prepared for them to get much worse reliability and quality then. The amount of issues I see directly related to Wabtec Doncaster is scary.

millemille

Be prepared for them to get much worse reliability and quality then. The amount of issues I see directly related to Wabtec Doncaster is scary.
Did you not know that they're paid a commission on every NIR they generate?

365 Networker

Don't know if true but this was posted on Facebook today.

All 26 sets are being released to Northern as news from the leasing company
I cant see anything on their website about that:-
News · Porterbrook

I can't see why northern would need all of them, considering the low passenger levels and the fact that many more people will be working from home more frequently even after the current situation is over. If they are staying with WMT, does anyone know what they would be used for? Personally I would quite like to see them back on the New Street - International shuttle service.

Don't know if true but this was posted on Facebook today.

All 26 sets are being released to Northern as news from the leasing company
If true, then it makes sense.
Speculation!! {Northern are now aiming for fleet standardisation. This would mean the extra 9 323s would displace 9 3 car 331s which will displace the 333s for the same fate as the 332s, scrappage. This would mean that northern would buy fewer 331s to then displace all the 333s. This would lead to a standard electric fleet of 331s & 323s only.}

jonesy3001

Established Member
If true, then it makes sense.
Speculation!! {Northern are now aiming for fleet standardisation. This would mean the extra 9 323s would displace 9 3 car 331s which will displace the 333s for the same fate as the 332s, scrappage. This would mean that northern would buy fewer 331s to then displace all the 333s. This would lead to a standard electric fleet of 331s & 323s only.}

Part of the plan is for 323s to work in pairs via Chorley, and to release 331s for other duties. A pair of 323s will fit all platforms, whereas a pair of 4 car units won't.

DorkingMain

Another point of note - with the 323s being 3 coaches and the 319s being 4 coaches, it takes 20 323s to replace 15 319s (60 carriages). That only leaves 6 additional units

On Moderation
Or they're contractually required to C4 them for Porterbrook and hence the lowest bidder is doing it.
It's not like a C4 is optional work, either, as it includes safety critical items. As the 730s aren't available yet, they have to do the work on the 323s.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Another point of note - with the 323s being 3 coaches and the 319s being 4 coaches, it takes 20 323s to replace 15 319s (60 carriages). That only leaves 6 additional units
A 319 is 80m long (4*20m carriages) while a 323 is 70m (3*23m). So 15 319s are roughly equivalent in capacity to 17, not 20, 323s (1200m of total carriage length).

In reality a single 323 will provide enough capacity on most of the Northern diagrams currently worked by 319s.

D365

Veteran Member
It's not like a C4 is optional work, either, as it includes safety critical items. As the 730s aren't available yet, they have to do the work on the 323s.
Exactly. Here is the correct answer.

Part of the plan is for 323s to work in pairs via Chorley, and to release 331s for other duties. A pair of 323s will fit all platforms, whereas a pair of 4 car units won't.

A pair of 323s will not fit at Layton (Up), Leyland, Adlington, Blackrod (Down), any intermediate stations between Bolton and Salford Crescent, most on the Airport branch except Heald Green and the Airport, or Woodsmoor towards Hazel Grove. 331's get round this with ASDO but unless they extend the platforms I can't see how they'd do it with 323s.

Greybeard33

Established Member
A pair of 323s will not fit at Layton (Up), Leyland, Adlington, Blackrod (Down), any intermediate stations between Bolton and Salford Crescent, most on the Airport branch except Heald Green and the Airport, or Woodsmoor towards Hazel Grove. 331's get round this with ASDO but unless they extend the platforms I can't see how they'd do it with 323s.
I believe it would be reasonably straightforward to extend the platforms at Blackrod, Adlington, Leyland and Layton to 140m (Leyland has disused portions that could be brought back into use).

If the Manchester Recovery Task Force Option C is adopted, both Blackpool services will go to the Airport not Hazel Grove, but will not need to call at the intermediate stations on the Styal line - these will get a half hourly Piccadilly - Crewe service. Woodsmoor will be served by the Buxton trains.

Mex I can

323215 arrived today at Doncaster 19th Feb from Soho LMD dragged by 57312
Bugger, I was working inside at the radiator firm and I missed that going past. I saw it on RTT and guessed what it would be, but had to work in the warehouse.

warwickshire

On Moderation
57305 took 323215 back to soho tmd wmr Depot from Doncaster wagon works.
So 323215 is back tonight at wmr soho tmd Depot. Move was 1014 Doncaster wagon works to Soho.
Looking nice through walsall after Doncaster overhaul in its wmr livery

Mamorin

57305 took 323215 back to soho tmd wmr Depot from Doncaster wagon works.
So 323215 is back tonight at wmr soho tmd Depot. Move was 1014 Doncaster wagon works to Soho.
Looking nice through walsall after Doncaster overhaul in its wmr livery
The re-livery was done during the PRM mods, this was just 323215 returning to Soho after having pt 5 of a C4 Exam.

The WMT livery is a good livery for the 323s though.

Mex I can

It was due to go back sooner, but got cancelled. I had a stroke of luck and caught it passing when I went out to get something from my van. Both loco and EMU looked good.

Status
Not open for further replies.