• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

3417, 1497 and 1498

Status
Not open for further replies.

antharro

I was under the impression that 3417, after being taken out of service by SWT, was going to the Bluebell. In fact, I seem to recall they used it once or twice, which would correspond with what Wikipedia says.

However, the Class 423 page on Wikipedia says the unit is stored at Bournemouth depot, then later on says it's at East Grinstead. Neither is correct -it's been at Clapham sheds for the last couple of weeks. I know it's been moved as it was on a different road yesterday than it was last Sunday!

So, given it's owned by the Bluebell, it must be costing them a fortune to keep it at Clapham?

(Oh, and I know Wikipedia isn't the most reliable source of information sometimes, but I've often found the train related pages to be at least slightly up to date!)

---

On 1497 and 1498. Wikipedia says 1497 is at the Mid Norfolk and 1498 at the Epping - Ongar. I know little of the Mid Norfolk, but has there been anything happening at the Epping-Ongar to prevent 1498 going the same way of some of their previous stock? (ie, vandalized to the point of being turned into scrap?)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
3417 was moved the other day to Wimbledon. Not quite sure what's going on with it, but you can follow it on twitter for the latest movements- as you can 1498.

Schnellzug

Established Member
I was never sure why 3417 was given to the Bluebell. They don't have any main line diesels at all, so what do they expect to do with it? I'd have thought Swanage would have been an appropriate palce, as they have a couple of 33/1s it could work with.
Epping-Ongar is under new ownership now; they have recently bought 4953 Pitchford Hall and 4141 from the Great Central, and and they're working hard to ready to re-open soon; I suppose they'd use it as hauled stock. They also have a 25, 31 & 37.

fgwrich

Established Member
I was never sure why 3417 was given to the Bluebell. They don't have any main line diesels at all, so what do they expect to do with it? I'd have thought Swanage would have been an appropriate palce, as they have a couple of 33/1s it could work with.
Epping-Ongar is under new ownership now; they have recently bought 4953 Pitchford Hall and 4141 from the Great Central, and and they're working hard to ready to re-open soon; I suppose they'd use it as hauled stock. They also have a 25, 31 & 37.

Aswell as 205205 and a 117, and now a couple of 03s too.

lewisf

I may be talking out of my backside but I'm sure I saw somewhere that the only locomotive at the Bluebell Railway that could haul 3417 as stock is Stepney as it's their only loco with air brakes. Not that it could get it moving anyway if this is true.

Chris125

Established Member
Feel free to correct me if any of this is wrong, but 3417 was bought by the Bluebell for £1 from SWT - not only did they get mainline certified passenger carriages they could get to and use on East Grinstead station shuttles but it would also provide a presence at the site and enabled an agreement with NR to build a mainline connection to allow it to access the new station. A very good deal.

However it was obvious to many that it would be unwise to keep a VEP outside all the time so space was offered to house it at Eastleigh when it wasnt needed at EG. Its since spent time at various locations in an effort to keep it out of the weather, including the unelectrified shed road at Clapham. With the extension nearing completion its future is uncertain - while it would be nice to see the Bluebell hold onto it, it would be understandable if they looked for new owners. The current move to Wimbledon is apparently for exams to keep it mainline certified.

Chris

fgwrich

Established Member
Feel free to correct me if any of this is wrong, but 3417 was bought by the Bluebell for £1 from SWT - not only did they get mainline certified passenger carriages they could get to and use on East Grinstead station shuttles but it would also provide a presence at the site and enabled an agreement with NR to build a mainline connection to allow it to access the new station. A very good deal.

However it was obvious to many that it would be unwise to keep a VEP outside all the time so space was offered to house it at Eastleigh when it wasnt needed at EG. Its since spent time at various locations in an effort to keep it out of the weather, including the unelectrified shed road at Clapham. With the extension nearing completion its future is uncertain - while it would be nice to see the Bluebell hold onto it, it would be understandable if they looked for new owners. The current move to Wimbledon is apparently for exams to keep it mainline certified.

Chris

And hopefully to keep it in a better condition too - VEPs were never the best, or most water tight of BR's MK1 Based EMUs, and this had led to water ingress and mould growing up on the fabric interior side panels of the driving coaches. :roll:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
"Gordon" does appear to be in working order; he's been tweeiting pictures of himself shunting "Tornado"!

Status
Not open for further replies.