• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

35005 Canadian Pacific

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siqulme

The cab has been ready to be removed for a couple of months now. All the bolts have been removed that attach it to the frame and we have placed attached several bars on her so she wont lose her shape during the lift. You never know but I would be supprised if we at the stage already but I havent been there in a few weeks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Siqulme

Hi guys, I uploaded entry 6 of my volunteer diary working on Canadian Pacific. Some really interesting progress on the beast and well worth checking out.

http://locoyard.com/2014/02/04/simons-journey-into-the-world-of-volunteering-entry-6/

If you work or volunteer in the railway heritage world we would love to hear you from you. The variety of volunteers is mind-boggling from cleaners to drivers, wagon crew to carriage carpenters, working on miniature railways to mainline express locomotives, from the UK around the globe to Australia – the world of railway preservation is huge and we would like to like to hear from any of you who would like to share your experiences! Support is at hand if you need it, from discussing content to proof reading and it’s all done for free!

Siqulme

Hi guys I found this brilliant photo by Carl Watson (Carlwatson.com) of CanPac on the 2nd January. She has changed alot since then but its still a brilliant sight.

br35005eastleighworks2ndjanuary2014.jpg

Monty

Established Member
A cracking photo, and gives you a good idea on how massive the boiler on the Merchant Navies are.

455driver

Veteran Member
Almost makes me want to put the kettle on! ;)

Seriously though, that is a very powerful picture of these locos!

Siqulme

There was a Network Rail class 50 testing outside the shed last month and they were more impressed by CanPac ;)

455driver

Veteran Member
NR dont have any 50s, they do have 57s though.
So <:D to me I think!;)

I cant find a tongue sticking out smillie!

I do think a large steamer belting along the mainline is a wonderful sight but dont tell anyone! ;)

Siqulme

I got my diesels mixed up *embarrassed*

There are 50s at Eastleigh at least ;)

I got to admit I saw Hood the other in the BR Large Logo livery and she looked brilliant!

Monty

Established Member
NR dont have any 50s, they do have 57s though.
So <:D to me I think!;)

I cant find a tongue sticking out smillie!

I do think a large steamer belting along the mainline is a wonderful sight but dont tell anyone! ;)

Screenshot! Going to hang it on my wall at home. :lol:

455driver

Veteran Member
Okay confession time-

The finest sight I have ever seen was 6201 belting through Hellifield (I think) on a brisk, cold morning back in the mid/late 80s.

Beats any Gresley design by a Country mile!

CarltonA

Let me know if you find any errors etc. Thanks

Seems an accurate account to me. Not sure about the boiler numbers, the first ten examples had a North British boiler and 06 still has an original which has a number ending in 6. This can be easily found on the backhead, even with the cladding on there is a small opening which allows you to read the number. Some locos may have had the boilers swapped around during overhauls, repairs or rebuilding.

Last edited:

Siqulme

I was just looking at boilers and according to "Bulleid Power" by AJ Fry 06 was fitted with boiler 1095 and tender 3116. Boiler 1096 was fitted when she was rebuilt in 1959.

CarltonA

according to "Bulleid Power" by AJ Fry 06 was fitted with boiler 1095 and tender 3116. Boiler 1096 was fitted when she was rebuilt in 1959.

I could do with reading that it seems. :oops: It was the tender which 06 kept throughout it's service but then lost at Woodham Bros. We have made a new tender which runs on Class 40 diesel wheelsets. The wheels are of a slightly different diameter so we will have to see how it performs.

Siqulme

It is a good book, I do highly recommend it and has lots of photos of 06 in her original spam condition.

35006 tender (3116) is actually still around and is actually destined to go to CanPac. During BR service the tender only ever was behind 06 but it actually left Barry scarpyard behind Port Line. Port Line was later sold to Jeremy Hosking who run it behind Braunton for a while. Tender 3116 was then swooped with 05s tender and 3116 is now behind Wadebridge whilst CanPac is out of service.

CarltonA

I was at the Mid Hants gala over the weekend. The railway are doing a big push for donations towards the CanPac restoration. It was great to see Clan Line and the other Bullieds in service as well as Met No1. The 9F was not running but was in the yard at Ropley on the day I attended.

Siqulme

Hope you enjoyed yourself at the Gala.

The Mid Hants did a huge push for donations for CanPac its so much easier to get donations for your Merchant Navy when you have a locomotive like Clan Line advertising the class. It was so popular if CanPac is even 1/3 as popular Clan Line was the line is onto a winner.

CarltonA

To go back to the nameplate subject it occurred to me that General Steam Navigation (the company) belonged to P&O at the time the locos were built. So possibly they have that third nameplate as well in their offices. Supposedly that was the only british main line loco with the word "steam" in it's name. That would discount 35006 as the word steam was not spelt out (just P&O SN Co).

Siqulme

How is 35006 getting on? I heard rumours last year that she might be ready at the start of this year but that seems to have passed

CarltonA

How is 35006 getting on? I heard rumours last year that she might be ready at the start of this year but that seems to have passed

Well the project is very advanced now (after 32 years). Sometimes people get over enthusiastic about possible dates when it will be finished, including myself. All I can say is that it is virtually complete and steam testing should begin soon. We are hoping to then get a contract with GlosWarks.

Siqulme

CarltonA

"Our original plan was to be low profile at this gala and just draw the loco out of the shed for people to look at from the viewing area across the tracks. However, the railway has informed us that it wishes to put us out in the car park in the same manner as last year, with steps giving access to the cab. The loco was a very popular exhibit last year, particularly with access to the cab and the P&O staff available to discuss how the loco works. The extra benefit to the Gala is that the loco looks good and faces 'the right way' when the public walk down from the station", 35006 Loco Society communication.

Last edited:

Siqulme

I dont think I have ever heard the phrase "life profile" and "Merchant Navy" in the same sentence dont think its possible. Sounds like a good chance to get some good pubicility I know when Clan Line did that at the Mid Hants it was swamped by people wanting to get on board. I am gutted I cant go to the GSWR gala but I dont think skipping my wedding for it would gain me any brownee points with the future wife.

Siqulme

Our original plan was to be low profile at this gala and just draw the loco out of the shed for people to look at from the viewing area across the tracks. However, the railway has informed us that it wishes to put us out in the car park in the same manner as last year, with steps giving access to the cab. The loco was a very popular exhibit last year, particularly with access to the cab and the P&O staff available to discuss how the loco works. The extra benefit to the Gala is that the loco looks good and faces 'the right way' when the public walk down from the station.

Just saw a photo of 35006 in the carpark she looks stunning!! You've done an amazing job with her congrats!!!

CarltonA

Just saw a photo of 35006 in the carpark she looks stunning!! You've done an amazing job with her congrats!!!

Congrats to you too, best of luck for your big day. :) I can't take any personal credit for the condition of the loco as I have been unable to get over to Toddington to be any help. But indeed the volunteers have done very well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.