• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

35005 Canadian Pacific

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siqulme

The volunteers have done a great job on 06 the photos of her are stunning. Cant wait to see her finally back in steam and hopefully we get her and 05 together in a couple of years! A picture says a 1,000 words and this brilliant one by my fellow LocoYard blogger Alex is great
SDC12362_zps32a3f862.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CarltonA

Thanks for putting that up. The tender was painted more recently than the loco and it takes a couple of months to darken. I have a photo of CanPac at Toddington in 2005 just behind the Dowty Shed which you can see on the right in the above photo.

Last edited:

Siqulme

Really should update this thread so firstly we have the Mid Hants official update post on the process on 35005 Canadian Pacific.

http://www.watercressline.co.uk/article.php/694/canadian-pacific-report-june

The Mid Hants Railway "The Watercress Line” is pleased to announce that it has been awarded a first-round pass by the Heritage Lottery Fund for its project "Canadian Pacific - engineering a future from the past.”

The project will restore the railway’s flagship engine 35005 Canadian Pacific back to steam, having been moved to Eastleigh in 2011. There will also be two wooden framed carriages restored during the project and opportunities for 11 new members of staff, including 8 technical people; 6 of whom will be apprentices with a two year period of training. In addition, there will also be opportunities for work experience available to local unemployed youngsters and engineering students at Eastleigh.

The project is currently progressing its plans to apply for a full grant, which will be submitted later this year. If the second round application is successful then work should commence early in 2015 and be complete by the end of 2017.

http://www.watercressline.co.uk/shopimages/products/extras/MHR Press Release Canadian Pacific.pdf
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Carl Watson Eastleigh Yards resident photographer uploaded some more photos recently including some great ones of CanPacs boiler lift. I saw him taking them and thought I managed to dodge most of the photos but he managed to get a few of me in the background.

http://carlswatson.com/Trains/Galle...06/20140611ArlingtonEastleighWorks/index.html
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
A small update on 35005, most of the work is focused around the bogies but the stripping down is progressing nicely
[​IMG]

Click here

Last edited:

Siqulme

Well the project is very advanced now (after 32 years). Sometimes people get over enthusiastic about possible dates when it will be finished, including myself. All I can say is that it is virtually complete and steam testing should begin soon. We are hoping to then get a contract with GlosWarks.

Hows things with 35006 going? Seems to have quiet on that front for a while now

CarltonA

Hows things with 35006 going? Seems to have quiet on that front for a while now

Some delay has been caused by needing some welding done to the main steam pipes by a coded welder. The boiler inspector left his insurance firm and was replaced by a new man who wanted to start from scratch with the paperwork. However we had quite a lot of the paperwork he needed to see. There will be a meeting in November when the latest developments will be announced. Things are looking good for the new year hopefully.
Any CanPac news Siqulme?

Last edited:

Siqulme

Shes in bits!! 100s and 100s of bits, we have completely stripped both the front bogie and the truck now removing parts from the main chassis. Shes coming apart quite nicely and we havent found any major (touch wood issues) we werent expecting. She will need some new ash pans, the smokebox will need some work on it but luckily the boiler looks in good condition and wont require anything to major on it. Credit where credit is due her restoration from barry was done to a very high standard by there previous owner which is making our lives alot easier. Its been said is in far better condition then Cheltenham and Winston Churchill which some of the team have/are also working on. Fingers crossed we get funding approved by the Heritage Lottery and so we can start working on actually restoring her and also getting young people invovled with her (educating them about the engineering skills required and her history) and fingers crossed getting them byte by the railway heritage bug.

Siqulme

As seeing this thread has become a mixture of info about 35005 and 35006 (Which looks great in the latest update thread) I thought it would be appreciate to do a post about one of the things they have in common namely tender 3116. Which did belong to 35006 during her SR/BR days and is now owned by CanPac.

Tender 3116: Tale of Canadian Pacifics Tender

The Mid Hants is having its Spring Gala between the 13th and 15th Feb this year with guest locos Bittern and Britannia in service. I believe I'm being ropped into helping out on the CanPac stand for a couple of hours so if your around come and say hi

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
As seeing this thread has become a mixture of info about 35005 and 35006 (Which looks great in the latest update thread) I thought it would be appreciate to do a post about one of the things they have in common namely tender 3116. Which did belong to 35006 during her SR/BR days and is now owned by CanPac.

Tender 3116: Tale of Canadian Pacifics Tender

The Mid Hants is having its Spring Gala between the 13th and 15th Feb this year with guest locos Bittern and Britannia in service. I believe I'm being ropped into helping out on the CanPac stand for a couple of hours so if your around come and say hi

That's interesting, I thought Bittern had been withdrawn from passenger service.?

CarltonA

A good article Si. Building a new tender for 35006 has been an interesting experience. The new one was mainly fabricated at the Mid-Hants as was the cab. It is mounted on class 40 wheelsets which have a slightly larger diameter than the the original design. Getting the suspension right has been a complex task, the springs have had to be shortened at one point. The problem is getting it to sit at the right height in relation to the loco. Allowance has to be made for a full load of coal and water and also for the fact it will rise as the load is used up. Also, allowance has to be made for the weight of water which will be in the boiler of the as yet incomplete loco. A major concern was the tender going too low under load and making contact with the wheel flanges.

alexl92

Established Member
That's interesting, I thought Bittern had been withdrawn from passenger service.?

Her Main Line certification has expired, but her boiler ticket has just under a year left on it. With Royal Scot and Braunton both in the workshops, the owners decided to send Bittern on loan to the Mid Hants until the Scot is finished, which should be in a few months' time. After that, she'll go in to the 'shop for her overhaul.

Had they taken her back to Crewe, 4464 would have just been sitting around awaiting the space in the workshop, so it made more sense to make the most of the remaining boiler ticket by running her on a heritage railway. Hosking already seems to have a good working relationship with the Watercress Line - 92212 was (is?) there, likewise Britannia. Pretty sure some of his other locos have been there in the recent past too.

Siqulme

Had they taken her back to Crewe, 4464 would have just been sitting around awaiting the space in the workshop, so it made more sense to make the most of the remaining boiler ticket by running her on a heritage railway. Hosking already seems to have a good working relationship with the Watercress Line - 92212 was (is?) there, likewise Britannia. Pretty sure some of his other locos have been there in the recent past too.

Spot on. Hoskings also owns 42xx class 4270, Nunney Castle and Raveningham Hall which all visited during the Winter gala. Bittern was actually overhauled at Ropley when Hoskings first bought her so its a nice way to book end this chapter of her career.

A good article Si. Building a new tender for 35006 has been an interesting experience. The new one was mainly fabricated at the Mid-Hants as was the cab. It is mounted on class 40 wheelsets which have a slightly larger diameter than the the original design. Getting the suspension right has been a complex task, the springs have had to be shortened at one point. The problem is getting it to sit at the right height in relation to the loco. Allowance has to be made for a full load of coal and water and also for the fact it will rise as the load is used up. Also, allowance has to be made for the weight of water which will be in the boiler of the as yet incomplete loco. A major concern was the tender going too low under load and making contact with the wheel flanges.

P&Os tender has caused a huge debate on various forums/social media. Can't wait to see her back in steam soon, planning on a trip to the GWSR onces shes finally completed :)

Siqulme

Good evening

With the Mid Hants gala approaching I thought it would be a perfect chance to do a quick update on CanPac and do a quick plug ;)

http://locoyard.com/2015/02/11/simons-journey-into-the-world-of-volunteering-entry-11/

During the gala there will be a CanPac stand in the Ropley education suite if you fancy learning more about our project, fancy finding out joining our wonderful team, help get restoration underway by donating or buying one of our lovely CanPac mugs.

Siqulme

Been a while since one of my CanPac posts so heres a mini update on my work on the 8P beast.

Simon’s journey into the world of Volunteering – Diary Entry 12 http://wp.me/p27ZHT-4yx

Siqulme

50 years ago Canadian Pacific was being recoaled and watered at Nine Elms following her morning trip up from Weymouth and was preparing for her return trip. Fresh out of an intermediate overhaul and with electrication being installed on the South West mainline this was going to be her best chance of breaking the ton and boy did she. She was rostered to work the 21-20 ex-Waterloo to Poole and it was this trip that Canadian Pacific set several records and her recorded top speed of 105mph. The fireman on that run was Dave Wilson and he kindly wrote a great piece on that run for us last year.

http://locoyard.com/2015/05/15/50-years-today/

infobleep

Veteran Member
Thanks for sharing the interesting article. Enjoyed even more the tale of travelling on the Atlantic Coast Express.

Siqulme

Thanks, the ACE story is one of the best articles on the blog in my view. We have been very lucky that people give us there storys to share. :)

Siqulme

Great to see the progress being made on 35006, cant wait to the visit the GWSR when he returns to traffic :)

CarltonA

Great to see the progress being made on 35006, cant wait to the visit the GWSR when he returns to traffic :)

I'm pleased to say that 35006 P&O passed all the final steam tests a couple of weeks ago. On Monday the 10th of August it made the first moves under it's own power for more than fifty years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC0n8dmmXZ0&feature=em-share_video_user

There is still more to do before it can enter service. The tender brakes need to be completed (hence the attached diesel shunter) and at present it is only working on two cylinders as some work still needs to be done there as well. Overall, the owning group were very pleased with the way things went (except for the lousy weather).

Siqulme

Great news, I was very happy when Pete emailed everyone with the news of the successful first run. Did you go to the shareholders meeting CharltonA I couldnt make it?

CarltonA

Great news, I was very happy when Pete emailed everyone with the news of the successful first run. Did you go to the shareholders meeting CharltonA I couldnt make it?

I missed the meeting last month but was there on Monday. I had a turn on the footplate, it was great to be up there. They are thinking of installing an inspectors fold up seat, that will make it a bit easier for any riders. It rocked up and down by quite a margin when we went over the points.

Siqulme

Sounds brilliant I hope you got loads of photos ;) Really got to visit the GWSR soon so I can see the locomotive

Have you seen there is an effort to reunbuild 35011 ... thats a horrible word

CarltonA

"MORE than three decades since a stripped, forlorn and rusty 35006 arrived at Toddington for restoration, it hauled its first passenger trains.

Around 500 people attended the unveiling of 'Peninsular & Oriental SN Co', known simply as P&O, after a monumental overhaul by the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Steam Railway that rivals the rebirth of Flying Scotsman."

From an article in Worcester News about Monday's return to traffic: http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news...to_restore_by_GWSR_is_unveiled_at_Toddington/

I've added onto this thread as there has been some discussion of 35006 on here. I think I am right as saying that P&O will be the only "Merchant" in steam for a while.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.