• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

350's being attacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

bILLOO

Today there were at least two 350's running around with smashed windows. I assume it was due to stone throwing? Are they safe to be in service with just tape around them?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class377/5

Established Member
Today there were at least two 350's running around with smashed windows. I assume it was due to stone throwing? Are they safe to be in service with just tape around them?

As long as staff have made them them safe, it's fine to run around like that.

On the 377's here two parts to the windows and it's he inner part that's important. Assume it won be too different with a Desiro either.

Seems like in this case staff have dealt with the units and attended to any possible issues.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Broken windows are a hazard of the railways but each TOC will have it's own documented procedures for dealing with them, it's perfectly safe provided only the outer skin is damaged.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Ive seen broken windowed trains operate just with the affected carriage closed to passengers.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
I came across a vid on Youtube showing a plastic pig with cardboard windows where they had obviously been bricked in and i'm pretty sure it was in normal passenger service

Kentish Paul

Had an instance in the late 90's where a stone/brick completely smashed a window on a 4-CIG approaching Ashford from London. People were covered in glass but projectile did not enter. Someone made to pull the cord but I managed to stop him as we were within 20 secs of stopping in platform 3 (as it was then). After alerting staff and removing glass bits from the hair of the worst affected passengers, the carriage was cleared of people and locked out of use. The train then continued. I was told I could go, so was not sure if BTP were summoned and statements taken.

Found out next day that this happened now and then (footbridge from town to residential area 1/4 mile west of station).

rail-britain

Established Member
As above, if the outer pane has smashed the train can remain in service until the end of that diagram
The remaining inner pane has to be marked and secured just in case it is smashed later

If both panes have smashed the train can continue at a reduced speed, with all passengers temporarily evacuated from the affected carriage
At the next possible station the train will either be taken out of service or a temporary window fitted

Smashed windows can also be caused by loose ballast, and it seems to happen quite often to LM units

6Gman

Established Member
In the late 70s/ early 80s I frequently saw trains I was travelling on being targetted by stone throwers. (I remember it happening five times in six journeys through the Longbridge area of Birmingham).

Nowadays I very, very rarely encounter it.

Is this a genuine trend, or just my luck?

jonb

Established Member
It does still happen unfortunately, Dagenham Dock - Rainham seems to be quite a hotspot with the kiddies.

rail-britain

Established Member
In the late 70s/ early 80s I frequently saw trains I was travelling on being targetted by stone throwers
Changed days, as a young person would normally live outside whenever possible; now they live indoors whenever possible
Equally, there are greater barriers and separation between the public and trains now, along with CCTV footage and other deterents

Yew

Established Member
On northerns pacers they have a layer of clear plastic sheet, this is anti grafitti but it should also reduce the possibility of debris entering the saloon in the event of someone trying to smash a single glazed window

Established Member
On northerns pacers they have a layer of clear plastic sheet, this is anti grafitti but it should also reduce the possibility of debris entering the saloon in the event of someone trying to smash a single glazed window

Probably would keep all the smashed glass together, rather than scattered, but probably wouldn't prevent the brick/stone etc from getting through.

Established Member
The railways are already very safe, and the chances of either an accident or someone hoying a brick through a window are very low. I'd rather have a larger window to look out of, knowing that.

talltim

Established Member
A guy on my uni course got hit in the face by a half brick thrown through a train window. IIRC it was through an open droplight on an HST just north of Sheffield station. He had to have fair amount of surgery

jon0844

Veteran Member
I meant to write to go through it.. Anyway, bad joke - made worse by writing it wrong! - so let's move on. I don't think any of us want to turn this into yet another Pendolino window thread. :)

Statto

Established Member
On Friday io seen a 350 departing LSP to Brum around 4:15pm with one window taped up.

In 1984 i was at primary school then, & we were on a School trip from Liverpool to London for a couple of days, going on a Sunday, & the train we were on got a window bricked around where the line goes passed Spaghetti Junction[one of the diversion routes used on Sundays].

Railsigns

Established Member
^^^^^^^^^

If you're going to quote Eric Morecambe in big red letters at the bottom of every post, could you at least quote him correctly?

The word you're looking for is "necessarily".

bronzeonion

I was on A stock 5118 arriving into Chesham station one evening, and two stones got thrown from the footbridge outside the station, one hitting my window on 5118 and ther other hitting another window in 6118 (trailer car behind 5118). Luckily all A stock windows are graffiti filmed so it all stayed in one piece.

kizzyboi

Had an instance in the late 90's where a stone/brick completely smashed a window on a 4-CIG approaching Ashford from London. People were covered in glass but projectile did not enter. Someone made to pull the cord but I managed to stop him as we were within 20 secs of stopping in platform 3 (as it was then). After alerting staff and removing glass bits from the hair of the worst affected passengers, the carriage was cleared of people and locked out of use. The train then continued. I was told I could go, so was not sure if BTP were summoned and statements taken.

Found out next day that this happened now and then (footbridge from town to residential area 1/4 mile west of station).

^^^^ Repton Bridge by any chance it happened the other day on an Ashford International Bound service from London Victoria. as train terminated at AFK it was taken out of servica and replaced for the return leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.