• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

37038's Trip Reports V2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello all,

Rather embarrassingly a large amount of life got in the way of me remembering to get trip reports done last year. I'm not an organised chap like Tech who gets things done on the move and finishes it off later on :roll:

Anyways, my last thread was locked due to presumed inactivity so I thought I'd break out the trip reporting hat again and start off after this weekend!

Plans at the moment are:
Fri 4th - 37s in Cumbria (my 8th pilgrimage this year)
Sat 5th - Glasgow Track Veg
Sun 6th - BLS 142 Suffer-fest!

I've done a fair few trips here and there this year and my mileage is triple what it was this time in 2015 but things will die down soon enough with busy non railway related activities ahead!

Anyway thanks all!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Life does have an annoying habit of getting in the way of things like bashing and trip reports eh?

Sounds like you've got a good weekend ahead!

Apologies for the length and the time taken to write it up! Nearly 4000 words!! Maybe I should put this amount of effort into my uni assignments :roll:

Friday 4 March
Well, welcome back to the good old trip writing world for me! First up for me is the usual commute across to the delightful Cumbria for a bash on the loco-hauled sets. Using many saved up Northern vouchers I’ve managed to collect enough to do 10 trips in the time frame on the T&Cs, this being my 9th so far.

My usual move is with a friend who stays over the night before but, with an extra mate along for the ride this time, we decided to change things up and chuck a beer move into the plan.
Up at 4.30am for the mega early doss-ex across the Hope Valley for the umpteenth time this year and a check of the gen to see what we could be looking forward to. Nothing as of yet but it’s not going to change anything!

Down to the station and onto the 0511 ex-Sheffield and the phone plugged in to charge to get an extra hour out of it later in the day. Extraordinarily dud 185151 doing the honours this morning which is one that was already high mileage before having 300 miles added to it on last October’s BLS “Tyne Tees Tracker”. It’s now over 600mile, double the nearest one!

Straight to sleep after the grip and back awake 45 minutes later, bleary eyed and ready for the quick +10 across to platform 14 at Manchester Piccadilly. 350410 rolled in a minute down on the 1S32 for the 58mile leap round to Lancaster. Due to the fact that is was still before 7am, the same situation ensued and the phone was back on charge and I was back kipping with an alarm set for ten past 7!

Finally the breakfast move was available at Lancaster with a pleasant (but extremely cold) +25 onto the 1C50 TPE. Quick nip into the shop for the obligatory cuppa and sarnie. We usually pick up some lunch as well for the train but with the beer move in planning for later in the day that wasn’t required for this morning.

For the second week in a row, 185113 had managed to foist itself upon us on exactly the same working! It was taken for the 25mile leap up to Ulverston for the change onto the loco-hauled set. Three units so far and none of them sub-100 mile… In case no one knew, I’ve now got to a point with my north-based units that I’m aiming to push as many as possible over the 100 mile barrier. Having cleared the TPE/XC/VTEC and vast majority of the Northern fleets some time ago (short of 20 units in the latter) it adds something else to do when travelling around the local area and home from Sheffield to Darlington on my trips home.

An extremely snowy and cold stand at Ulverston for 15 minutes before 37401 duly appeared on the 2C32 service through to Preston. One of my friends had bailed at Carnforth for a walk round the rather full WCRC depot to see what was about so we were down to 2 for an hour or so. Makes a bloody nice change to see something other than 37409 and 37423 on the coast this year. After the DBSO farce and the 37/4 shortage which produced 37259 for a few weeks, nice for things finally getting back to normal and changing every now and again when I pop over. Managed 600 miles on 37409 and 950 miles on 37423 this year and nothing on any of the others.

37401 still sounds rather rubbish so it rather quietly trundled us down to Preston and back up to Barrow-in-Furness arriving only a minute late despite being 8 down at one point. A good performance despite it sounding naff! Quick transfer across and onto the 2C49 with 37425 for the 58 mile run up to Maryport for a change (instead of Carlisle). This was the first time I’d managed 37425 on the coast and it leaves only 405 (which is the only one that hasn’t worked up there) to get.

A spirited and more entertaining run north with a variety of 37s and 66s noted at Sellafield on the way north. Bailed at Maryport and headed down towards the front to the Lifeboat Inn which is a favourite of mine along the coast. Lovely atmosphere and beers and the food isn’t so bad either! Nice hot roll had and we were on our way back after a good hour having a drink via a stop off at Greggs for some additional provisions!

37425 duly rolled in on time and we were away back south to Barrow-in-Furness with us on the way back home. The time is 1518 and only 7.5 hours to get back to Sheffield, oh the joys of a Northern only restriction. A +40 at Barrow went surprisingly fast with the others to talk to and we were aboard the 2C36 back to Lancaster. Shock horror a winner as it was formed of 153359 & 153352, the former being the winner in question. By my calculations that’s 36 to go with Northern.

The +20 at Lancaster gave us a chance to collect some provisions before boarding the dreaded train across to Leeds via Skipton. We usually try and head up to Carlisle and take the S&C south to Leeds but with it being rather fallen in the River Eden. 70 miles across there is bad enough in the daylight but the night time run the only thing it’s fit for is a significant sleep! Almost 2 hours later aboard 142091 of all things we arrived rather dead at Leeds at 9.15pm. Amazingly, the direct train at 9.37 has managed to be slower than a train down to Doncaster with a change across to Sheffield. 321901 was the cart and I snoozed again back down to Doncaster in all of its massive dudness. Still need one 321 and one 322 but I’ve not been out chasing them and they never seem to produce on the usual move back to Doncaster… Anyway, a little bonus on arrival back was the late running of the 1J35 which allowed us to get the last direct train across to Sheffield aboard 158909 (very low mileage at 3.3 beforehand!) instead of the incredibly slow 2213 all-shacks. We managed to arrive home 10 minutes earlier than usual and it was straight home ready for another big day the next day! Kipping by midnight and only 4 hours to be had!

37 Mileage: 218mi 04ch
Mileage: 497mi 06ch
Winners: 1
Shacks: 0
Required Bits of Track: 0

Saturday 5 March
After a tiny amount of sleep, the alarm began its blaring at the sprightly time of 0445, less than welcome after going to bed at around midnight! One of my mates who had stayed the night before wasn’t travelling with us up north today but he still had to be up and out with us back to his car in York. He was expecting a lie in but duly found himself at the station ready for the 0529 to Doncaster!

The 0529 was formed of 158787+153351 this morning. Both dud and the 153 already past the 100mile point (had it during a Cumbria move a few weeks previously) but the 158 was a nice low mileage one so that was bumped up by 18 and a bit miles. Arrival at Doncaster little over 7 hours after we departed last night was a tad early and this gave us plenty of time to shuffle across the platform and straight onto the 1S02 with 91114 in charge. I’ve lived on the East Coast most of my life and cleared the 91s many moons ago but there are a fabled three 91s which have somehow contrived to avoid me continuously for most of my time bashing. All three are below 100 miles and 2 of them I’ve only had for haulage once (both back in 2011). Mysterious things!

91114 had its mileage more than doubled on the 237mi move all the way through to Edinburgh with mate #1 (mate #2 having bailed at York at 0630 of all times!) The tickets up to Edinburgh from Doncaster were picked up during the VTEC seat sale in January for 20 quid return; can’t be sniffed at! He slept for a good chunk of the way but I used the time to catch up on some photo editing from the past 7/8 months. I’ve put it off continuously for a long time and its shocking I’ve only just got round to it. The journey itself was relatively nondescript despite the usual nice views across to Lindisfarne and the North Sea along the Northumbrian coast and we arrived in Edinburgh exactly on time for our +12 leap across to the bay platforms for the run across to Glasgow Queen Street. Surprised to see a winner on this move in the form of Borders-liveried 170414 which was duly marked off on the speedy journey around the top. Odd to see the stanchions going up in association with EGIP now!

We arrived at Glasgow Queen Street on time and commenced the mad dash across the city centre to make our first train on the plan down the Ayrshire Coast Line. Somehow managed to make a cross-city +11 onto annoyingly dud 380108. I’ve only had 5 for god’s sake, give me a break! Luckily, this move through to Troon was there to grice the southbound line from Kilwinning which I needed as far as Barassie Jn. With this bit ticked off it cleared another section of Scotland of track. We had another short lay over here at the surprisingly nice station where a nice cuppa and some toast was collected from the café on the platform. Double red pen 380013 + 380004 appeared on time to whisk us the short distance back north to Kilwinning where we wondered across to platforms 3 and 4. Another short wait before winning 380115 rolled in for the run to Ardrossan Harbour. If anyone cares to look back to my ALR trip report of 2014 they’ll see that this line was the casualty of a tiredness-related cock up when I forgot Kilwinning had two sets of platforms and watched my train arrive and depart with me still on the Ayr-bound platforms! Taken me this long to find an excuse to get back up there and get it ticked off. Anyway, a short while later we arrived at the unusual station at Ardrossan Harbour and, seeing as it was a sunny day, we had the opportunity to wonder about for a good half hour and take some pictures across the Firth of Clyde towards the Isle of Arran; which was looking magnificent with the snow-topped Goatfell at its centre.

With the sun continuing to shine, we were back onto 380115 and took it back through to Paisley Gilmour Street for a quick change to grab another unit into Glasgow in the hope of a winner. 314204 duly produced and was treated to the red pen and a quick change took us back through to Paisley Gilmour Street for a bit of a wait for the next train towards Wemyss Bay. This wait provided the ideal opportunity for us to nip out the station and bag the spoons next to the station: an unexpected one ticked off! Instead of waiting for the Wemyss Bay unit to arrive, we decided a cheeky shack scratch would be the best thing to do to waste a bit of time, despite the fact it was 314204 again. Bishopton was the first available shack for both services and, after a short time there, winning 380018 appeared and took us up the hill to Wemyss Bay for a short stay there. I’d hoped to wonder down the ramp to the ferry terminal to take a few shots but with the station wrapped in scaffolding I decided a quick pint for the two of us was best. Until they said we couldn’t get a take away. In hindsight, I realised that’s because of Scottish drinking law but all the same it was a bit gutting to get back on the train dry!

380018 back down the hill and bail at Port Glasgow for the ultra-speedy dash over the footbridge for the +2 onto winning 314215 down the hill into Gourock. Not very long here unfortunately although perhaps next time I might have a look round at the views across the water. The +2 across the platforms at Gourock produced winning 380003 right back through to Glasgow Central. The finale of the day was the Paisley Canal line. May not sound hugely enthralling to the vast majority of people but this was my 4th separate attempt at the line after being bowled out each of the previous times for a variety of reasons. Person hit by train, missed connection then it being a casualty of the Kilwinning farce on my ALR. However this time ran like clockwork and I finally broke out the highlighter and marked the line off on arrival at ‘the canal’! Cart was rather dud 314202 unfortunately! Now for the return journey all the back to Sheffield.

Both of us back to Glasgow again for a slightly more easy +35 across to Queen Street for the cart across to the capital. We decided to squeeze in another spoons but, after some careful planning and a lot of speedy drinking and running about we managed my last three required ones in Glasgow centre. Back to Queen Street, straight through the barriers and dive onto a required 170428 back to Edinburgh! Rather surprised I managed two 170s when I usually get none on my trips to Scotland. I still need a few out of the fleet but they tend to avoid me for some reason, as is usually the way! Another speedy change and across to another extraordinarily dud 91131 to take it over 500 miles through to Doncaster. The unfortunate move of the day was the last with a rather large +55 at Doncaster in order to “connect” with the 2321 stopper through to Sheffield formed of dud 158853, finally arriving a tad before midnight. After a mega 20 hour day it was back home to bed with yet another full session tomorrow!

Mileage: 775mi 66ch
Winners: 9
Shacks: 7
Required Bits of Track: 11

Sunday 6 March
God these early mornings are getting to me now! Weekends are meant for catching up on sleep, not having 14hours in total over three nights! Anyway, back up just before 7 and the kit swapped in the bag for the track bashing stuff and GPS stuff. All in preparedness for today’s BLS ‘Northern Tracker’ from Manchester Piccadilly.

Seems some 185s are following me as 185150 once again appeared for another trip across the Hope Valley. Full charge and sleep mode engaged right the way across, arriving at around 8.42. A quick 20 minute brekky move to Upper Crust before piling onto 142004 (paired with 142001) for the BLS bash. Something I never ever thought I’d do was spend 10 hours on a bus-seated pacer for the sake of track! Anyway, a quick blast down to Stockport and straight into the little used Stockport Plat 3a (Bay) for reversal. First bit ticked off! Another speedy shuffle out on the shunt move to the viaduct before setting back into the Carriage Sidings to cover Road 4 to the stops. Back out after waiting time and up the Denton line to Guide Bridge running a tad late for the next reversal.

A run over the Ashburys goods lines and round the Brewery Curve for our first depot visit of the day! Newton Heath was treated to us lot for an hour as we traversed the No.2 Intake Line through to the east end headshunt and back out through the no.18 south avoiding road onto the Dean Goods. All of that obviously required track. Next back round to Guide Bridge via the Brewery Curve and the Ashburys goods line, all of this required in the southbound direction which cleared the line for me. Finally ticked it off! On our way across the Pennines towards Wakefield we were due to cover a couple of crossovers and Diggle UGL but due to train sitting in our platform at Stalybridge and a signalling irregularity at Diggle we didn’t manage to cover either.

There was a rather good surprise coming up to make up and surpass what we’d missed previously. As we approached Healey Mills Yard it was announced that we’d been set a “wrong route” and we’d “accidentally” taken it. I was rather surprised as I didn’t actually think Healey Mills was useable! Regardless we very carefully scraped the rust off road P in the yard. Amazingly, despite the fact that it seemed that the majority of the yard hasn’t been used for about 10 years (due to the size of the trees between the sleepers!) and yet it appeared to have been recently re-signalled with LED dollies!

Anyway, the very rare track ticked off and we were away through Wakefield Kirkgate through road (required!) and round towards Leeds. Shortly before Engine Shed Jn, we were once again “wrong routed” through the arrival/departure loop at Stourton FLT shortly before we entered Holbeck Depot before a trundle to just about the end of the headshunt in our second depot of the day. A quick reversal at the depot entrance and a rather random run round the corner to reverse on Copley Hill Chord for some reason and through Leeds. Rather disappointingly not taking the required through road! We headed round the corner into our third depot of the day: Neville Hill. We covered Richmond Hill DGL on the way in and covered the arrival/departure road and through the No.2 road in the DMU fuelling shed. Onwards through to the very limit of the depot at the end of the No.2 CET siding. Then once again back down the other side of the depot covering the No.6 departure road with a pause for half an hour to wait time. Perhaps we could have spent that time doing something else but it’s alright getting it done at all! Back into Leeds for the first break from the hell of the bus seats in 6 hours! A very speedy dash across the station to raid Pumpkin for all kinds of food then back to the train for a spot more track and some beer (now we were clear of the various depots that prohibited drinking). Away we went back where we’d come from once again towards Neville Hill but this time swinging across to the other side of the mainline and into the Up Arrival No.1 Line in Neville Hill Up Sidings, now mainly occupied by demic wagons. Once again back through Leeds but this time being the last and onwards we went towards Bradford Interchange. We spent a delightful 45 minutes occupying the stabling siding alongside platform 4. Another tick in the book! Two bits of track left to do! Down to Halifax to do a quick shunt in and out of the reversing siding and across both south end crossovers. Onwards to Huddersfield for a set down and through the not particularly rare but still required Marsden UPL and back through to Manchester Piccadilly. Top quality day out and loads of winning track!

What could polish of a good day? EMT chucking out my penultimate 156 for a run across the Hope Valley? Yeah, that’ll do! 158857 and winning 156414 for the final trundle home to finish a top weekend!

Mileage: 223mi 24ch
Required Bits of Track: 23

Tuesday 8 March
Just a quick report for my journey to a friend’s house prior to a job interview for a placement tomorrow in Stevenage. At was staying at his in Peterborough so this necessitated a fast move south after finishing uni at 6pm. Straight to the station for the 6.12 to Doncaster fully loaded with suit and other such kit. 185142 doing the honours on this occasion which was a relatively low mileage one and, if I remember correctly, my penultimate one for haulage when I was still clearing them off for haulage! I met my friend at Doncaster and we boarded the slightly late running 1A48 with 91105 on the back. Not one I’ve had for a few years so a good 80 miles added.

One nice surprise however was a winning bit of track on the way south! Due to our late running we were put down the length of the Up Slow out of Doncaster to let a HST storm past on the way south. Bonus for me as I finally got a pesky bit of track in completely unexpected!

Mileage: 98mi 19ch
Winners: 0
Required Bits of Track: 1

Wednesday 9 March
Getting there on these pesky reports now! Another brief one for my trip to Stevenage for my job interview and then home later in the day. Up bright and early and across to Peterborough station to pick up 43307 and 43238 for the 48 mile run to Stevenage. Both dud power cars but I was very surprised to check my notes and find I’d only had once 4 years ago between Darlington and Newcastle. Nice boost up towards 100 miles anyway! Off to my job interview, I won’t bore anyone with the details!

Back to the station at 4.30pm and I leapt up to Hitchin on double winner 317348 and 317339 before a 5 minute wait for another double winner 321401 and 321407 for the 44 mile leap to Peterborough. This move back north from Hitchin bagged for the down slow for the length of the journey. Another nice tick in the book. A +20 at Peterborough to grab some tea and a drink before boarding my highest mileage 91 (115) for the 80 mile run back north to Doncaster. Takes that particular one to nigh on 900 miles!

Another nice bit of winning track once again caused by lateness and the need for a following service to overtake. We were put down the slows from Peterborough right through to Stoke Jn. Other than that a relatively nondescript journey back north arriving at Doncaster for a cheeky +2 over the platforms for a Sheffield train. Perhaps things worked in such a way that if I get my highest mileage 91 for extra miles I should be allowed my lowest mileage Northern 158 for the 18 mile run to Sheffield aboard 158872.

Mileage: 195mi 67ch
Winners: 4
Shacks: 2
Required Bits of Track: 3

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds like a cracking time out except the Sunday ;)! You're crazy for that by the way!

I was significantly dead after the weekend! 10hrs was a killer but track was worth it!

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Seems were both in Strathclyde that day, both occasions with you catching the train after me north and south! (I was on 1S01, 0815 arr at Edinburgh north and 1E27, 1830 dep south)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
An intense few days, but thoroughly productive and tough at the same time. I'm not sure I'd have put myself through all that track with no proper break!

An intense few days, but thoroughly productive and tough at the same time. I'm not sure I'd have put myself through all that track with no proper break!

Worth it I have to say! It wasn't so bad with the beer added at the end though :lol:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I bet the beer went down beautifully after all that effort! :lol:

We went for a relaxing beer the other night, after a tough day, but the beer was rancid, so much so I didn't rate it any stars at all on Untappd!

Thursday 16 June
Well it’s been quite some time since I got on here for a good write up of one of my various trips. Having university work on a lot of weekdays and trips out on a lot of weekend sort of vetoed my efforts to write up a proper report. Anyway, after a few months here we are again!

Today was a rather short notice zoom down the road to pick up a required loco on the Scarborough Spa Express. After heading to Hebden Bridge last Thursday to break out the red pen for 37668, this week Carnforth duly produced 37669 which required the treatment in the book. 37668 was also out so a smidge more mileage could be added to its tally.

The day started with a reasonably sociable 0700 alarm call for the bus move to town and the walk to Darlington station. Bacon sandwich and a coffee sourced and onto the 1V50 0812 service bound for Plymouth as far as York. I’d forgotten it was a HST move and so was reasonably happy to see 43304 (with 43384 on the rear) arrive a couple of minutes late. My usual rule for trying to clear local units and stock for 100 miles continues. I only usually apply it to TPE, VTEC and XC items but since moving to Sheffield for university a few years ago, EMT and Northern were added to the mix. Anyway, the point of that explanation was that the day started well with 43384 finally being cleared for the 100 mile mark. 43207 and 43303 still reside below that mark with XC and amazingly, I’ve only had 43207 once over 7 years ago!

For cheapness’ sake, I bailed at York from my £3.90 XC advance to swap onto the next Northern Blackpool North service as far as Leeds (£2.95 advance). Typically, this service was still inbound around 30L and, even if it turned round immediately and left for Leeds with me on board, it would be a +3 onto the charter. A quick word with the guard on the preceding TPE service about my predicament and I was on the way. Rather dud 185126 was the cart for the 25mi 46ch run through to Leeds. Taking an on time fast instead of a stopper resulted in my wait at Leeds being increased from 20 minutes to 45 so another coffee was bought and the wait began!

37668 and 37669 rolled in slightly behind time at 1027 with the 1Z21 “Scarborough Spa Express” from Carnforth. Having scored 37668 last week and 37669 today means I’ve once again cleared the active WCRC 37 fleet. There are still plenty more demics at Carnforth that will most likely never be ticked off – with the possible exception of 37712 if that’s reactivated at any point. A relatively brisk run was had through to York Holgate U&DGL where the train was booked to sit for 45 minutes for a loco change. The 37s duly detached and 8F 48151 was attached for the massive 0mi 51ch from the loop into York station itself. The same move occurred last week so the 8F wasn’t a winner today but at least it was cleared for a mile!

Off the train a couple of minutes early at York and into the pub for a swift pint to await my booked 1235 VTEC back north to Darlington. A winning beer sourced (Ed – written a little later but as of 22 June I’m on 1098 distinct on Untappd for those who use it!) before leaving slightly early to make my way to P9 for the quick journey home. 91110 did the honours (been a couple of years since my last journey with it) and back in the house by 1400.

All was not over as the return home was only a fill in move for a belated lunch and to watch the England vs Wales match before heading back to the station for the 1630 Northern departure to Middlesbrough. I was meeting a friend there (his birthday no less, fancy having to come here…) for the trip across to Grosmont on the NYMR. Sub-100 mile cart 142015 trundled us across the exact 15 miles to ‘the Boro’ to meet a third friend prior to the swift change onto the Esk Valley Line unit for the day: 156490. Had this one many a time on the EVL so it’s already past the 100 mile point. Having a couple of mates on board passed time nicely and before we knew it we were arriving at Egton with only a couple of minutes to go. However we weren’t counting on the herd of cows which had made their way onto the line and the next 20 minutes between Egton and Grosmont were spent slowly herding them down the trackbed at around 3mph! Needless to say, all mates were rather surprised at the incongruous sight of cattle passing through the mainline platform at Grosmont.

The day ended after a good birthday meal for friend #1 at a bar near Pickering followed by a car move back to the pub later on before bed!

Mileage: 183mi 20ch

Friday 17 June
The first day of the annual NYMR diesel gala today with semi-resident “visiting” traction 55022 and 26038 being supplemented by the superbly restored 40013 “Andania”. Having not bothered with Swanage and because of its caped appearance at the SVR, 40013 was the winner for the weekend. My 5th 40 ticked off and only the under overhaul 40012 and partially restored, long term absentee 40118 to go! Let’s forget about the other 193 scrapped examples shall we!

Anyway that wasn’t the primary objective of the weekend, that objective was the continuing mileage accumulation on 37264. The odd bit of mileage when I’m there every now and again and my aim of my first preserved loco to 1000 mi should come soon enough, hopefully even manage it all on the NYMR. Slightly easier doing it here where it runs most days a year and the line’s nearly 18 miles long (Ed – 563 miles and counting after this weekend). The problem of me being based at the north end of the line and the 37 being at the other end loses a bit of mileage daily and so first up was a suffer up the bank of D7628 for the almost-13 miles to Levisham. The 37 was sat waiting for us and, after a crossing dash, we were back on the way with a relatively tame run back to Grosmont. Next up was the immaculate 40013 back up the 1:49 through to Levisham again. I’m not a major fan of 40s but with it being EE and not Sulzery horrificness I don’t mind it. It didn’t sound half bad battering up the bank through Goathland where I did eventually sit down! The train crossed with the previously covered D7628 for the sit down boredom back through to Grosmont. Next up was the good bit with a full round trip Grosmont to Pickering with 37264, adding roughly 35 miles to the tally. The loco sounding rather good at various points but never getting past the field diverts at 23mph properly without shutting off. These diverts being a good indicator of approaching the speed limit for preserved lines if working correctly. Anyway a good run had!

Things had gone mildly wrong ahead of us as 26038 had decided to shart itself of oil as it passed over the summit heading north and was now not in any fit state to work its booked 1556 round trip to Pickering. Some attention on shed would rectify its issues before the end of the day but definitely not before 1556! Happily, 37264 was on hand and worked an extra round trip on the day; that’ll do nicely! Another nice run up the bank through to Pickering, a quick move for some hayfever tablets in the co-op round the corner (high pollen count today meaning even someone who doesn’t get it bad was suffering…) before getting back to the station for a tea and onto the train. This last run back through to Grosmont was something else though and the full power trip from Levisham to the summit (minus the stop at Newtondale) was a highlight. Think only one of 2 or 3 times I’ve had it get through 2nd stage diverts as well.

Usually I’d be here for the full three days for the maximum mileage but with other plans for the Saturday I was on my way back home later on in the evening. With the benefit of hindsight I’m glad to say I did leave as things went so badly t*ts up that it would have been a pub day anyway! More to be said about tomorrow on the next day’s report…

Anyway, 156490 carted me and a mate back through to Middlesbrough and added yet more to its already 100+ mile total after our trip on it yesterday. No cow-related farces today and an arrival on time meant a quick platform change onto the next Darlington service formed of 142065. If I thought that last 156 was quite dud, this 142 takes the biscuit with over 200 miles already! Anyway the exact 15 miles added to its already burgeoning account and we were back into Darlington for 2130.

Despite the early start in the morning, it’s always a good idea to get yourself to the pub on the way home and have a few before bed. Even if we didn’t anticipate leaving at 0130! Regrets can be expected tomorrow!

Mileage: 166mi 56ch

Saturday 18 June
Lack of sleep rather than a hangover is what kept me in bed until almost the taxi arrival time this morning… At least the thick head didn’t manifest itself but a coffee was almost certainly required this morning!

Arrived at the station a little over 0630 for the vomiter move down to York on the 1V83 service. 100+ mile unit 221124 doing the honours. Anyway the reasoning for missing a day at the NYMR diesel gala (not something I’d normally do as I explained earlier) was that I and three mates (along with two additional fathers of said friends) were booked on Pathfinder’s Deltic Borderer II charter from York up to Tweedbank. The DPS’s 55009 “Alycidon” resplendent in late 60s BR Blue (now with the correctly sized and positioned vinyls) arrived on time ready for the run north. Our booking requests had been met and we were all sat together across two bays of four only a few back from the loco in Coach A!

I kind of hate myself for leaving it 5 and a half years since last having a Deltic properly on the mainline! I’ve done a few part fare runs here and there (D9009 Darlington – York in 2013 and 55002 Newcastle – York in 2014) but not a full one since Spitfire Railtours’ “Royal Scots Tay” from York to Dundee in December 2010. 450 or so miles to add to 55009s account today so it looks good! The day didn’t start brilliantly with a slow line run along the ‘racing stretch’ preventing a speedy run through to Darlington but we nevertheless came agonisingly close to the magic number with 99.9mph being recorded around Cowto! The loco was in fine form with 11 Mk2s, 1 Mk1 and 67022 behind it creating an equivalent of load 15! A reasonably fast run through to Newcastle and onwards from there. The booked loop at Morpeth North Jn was passed due to the lack of trains behind us (early morning farce south of York) but we were eventually pulled into Chevington DGL (required!) for a 10 minute wait.

Upon departing the loop we were soon up to speed and shortly afterwards around Beal LC we breached the magic 100mph for the first time, peaking at 101.7mph before slowing for the Royal Border Bridge a few miles later. A rather loud run from the front vestibule over Grantshouse summit before coasting through the lowlands to Edinburgh Waverley on time. After a sadly tame run through Princes Street Gardens and the tunnels towards Haymarket, we veered left onto the Suburban route before swinging south again at Niddrie Jns towards Newcraighall. Briefly off the required track through the suburbs onto dud passenger track at Newcraighall before rejoining the required track to take in the brand new Borders Line through to Tweedbank. A lovely line I’d saved from doing until this charter and I’m glad I did! An ace run up the roughly 1 in 70 gradient to Falahill summit before coasting through to the terminating station. Due to pathing constraints we’d have to wait 50 odd minutes until 1425 to allow the following unit to arrive and depart on the single line section before out charter could leave. This time at the back with sadly dud (but winner for the rest of my group) 67022 taking us the 35 miles or so back through to Edinburgh. A roughly 10 minute early arrival in the Scottish capital allowed a 3 and a little bit hour break to go exploring (Ed – drinking…). Seeing as I’ve only started doing Wetherspoons bashing relatively recently, all 5 of the pubs in the rough Edinburgh centre area were required and so we set out to do the furthest away first and work backwards. A 30 minute trundle down Leith Walk to Leith itself for #1, before returning to Picardy Place round the corner from Waverley Steps for #2. As the first couple had taken a big chunk out of the break time, it was a brisk walk along Princes Street for a right/left turn onto George Street for requirements #3 and #4. With the thought of food and provisions on our minds, we decided to leave the newly opened #5 on Waverley Bridge for another time, easy enough to get to in a couple of minutes from the platforms! Straight to Boots on Princes Street to stock up, bit bare on provisions but odds and ends bought… Tea itself purchased in McDonalds before a quick dash across the footbridge to make the train with 5 minutes to spare; apparently we’d worried a few of the others with our ‘man of steel’ move for a McDonalds beforehand!

Back on the train and after a slow start, immediate disappointment in being signalled mainline through Musselburgh instead of round the Millerhill loop as booked! Oh well… What was even more annoying is we were put straight into Prestonpans UPL to wait nearly 20 minutes to time! Out the loop and on the way for a fast run right through to Newcastle down the coastline, never quite reaching 100mph before stopping in Newcastle approximately on time. Now the fun began, after an initially cautious departure from Newcastle through to Birtley Jn, the taps were opened and off we went, battering through Darlington closing on 95mph (proper…) before the timing began for the proper fast lines run through to York. 100mph was reached and we crept to 102.7mph but hovered above the ton for over a third of the trip, reaching York from Darlington in 29m57s! An excellent day so far then!

After the obligatory arrival photographs I was surprised to see 47746 pulling into platform 10 with WCRC’s “Royal Windsor Express” with 57316 tagged on the rear. I’d forgotten about it but now remembered that York and Darlington were booked set down points for the charter. Needless to say it beat travelling home on a voyager rammed full of revellers! 57316 was also a winner on the morning and it would have been my preferred choice of getting to York for the Deltic but the agonising -4 connection was annoying and so the risk was not justified and in the end rightly so!

The 4 of the groups 6 who had chosen the same option bailed at Darlington with the red pens being put away for us all before leaping into the car and heading to Middlesbrough to deposit one of the aforementioned fathers at home. A midnight McDonalds move (#2 for the day…!) before the night time drive back to Grosmont on the NYMR ready for the Sunday of the gala.

Mileage: 572mi 63ch
Shacks: 1
Required Bits of Track: 7

Sunday 19 June
Compared to Friday and the reasonably high mileage day we had there, today was going to be a relaxing day of bashing with a spot of track chucked it for good measure. After a decent lie in, it was onto the 1027 service with 55022 through to Pickering for 37264 bringing the whole ensemble back through to Grosmont. Another good run away from Levisham had with that particular beast! A reasonably long break for lunch seeing as nothing interesting was occurring and a path had been taken up by the steam-hauled diner so a move down to Whitby with D7628 seemed like something reasonable to do. I must have been the only person there still not to have had Whitby new P2 but at least now it’s in the book… Have to come back down as crew in the very far flung future if I ever get passed out and bag the run round loop! Quick turn around and back through to Grosmont for the +20 onto 55022. The rest of the day was mainly centred on a couple of thrashy runs up the bank to Goathland before retiring early for a good drink in the Crossing Club at Grosmont. 55022 was taken up for 40013 back followed by 37264 up for one last time. The return back to Grosmont was formed of the USA S160 6046 on the afternoon diner. It was steam at a diesel gala but at least it was required steam at a diesel gala! The day ended with a few beers in the pub before a reasonably early night…

Mileage: 61mi 64ch
Required Bits of Track: 1

Monday 20 June
Nothing much to report here other than the stats below! Woken up early in the yard (I stay in a Mk1 compo on shed) by 55022 starting up (Ed – suppose it beats an alarm clock!) and I had to get home to get jobs done by a decent time. With branch trains on the Esk Valley Line back to Middlesbrough running every 3 hours or so I couldn’t really afford to miss the 0904 so it was up for the quick dash back through to the station. Quick coffee grabbed from the tea room before boarding 156484 through to Middlesbrough. Another one of Heaton’s 156s already cleared for 100 miles, mainly on returns runs down to Grosmont! Another brief change at Middlesbrough with a mate before boarding another 100+ mile unit (142016) through to Darlington. Sat with my mate on the station for a while before his train before we went our separate ways after a top long weekend!

Mileage: 43mi 68ch
Winners: 0

Weekend Mileage: 1028mi 31ch
Winners: 4
Shacks: 1
Required Bits of Track: 8

Established Member
Some excellent trips there, but then again any move involving Deltics is always going to be good :)
Personally, I love a Sulzer type 2 up the bank to Goathland - one of my favourite bits of preserved line in the country.

A very busy few days there :)

Aiming for 100 miles from each local unit is a big task

Well there's only the following:
- 06/44 43s (XC/VTEC)
- 03/31 91s
- 19/35 142s (Heaton)
- 03/12 156s (Heaton)
- 26/51 185s
- 07/34 220s
- 06/23 221s (XC)

They're the only units that run through my local so it keeps interest up seeing as I cleared them absolutely ages ago. Vast majority of mainline requirements (i.e. anything not Northern) should be cleared within the next year hopefully with 10 single trips between Darlo and York per week.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds like a great through days! I can't believe you prefer EE stuff to Sulzer stuff! Was a part fare arranged for the York-Darlo move or did you just get on with the ticket you had?

I only need 43301 to clear the XC trams for 100. That one is my lowest with 91 miles. My next is 43303 on 136 miles.

Sounds like a great through days! I can't believe you prefer EE stuff to Sulzer stuff! Was a part fare arranged for the York-Darlo move or did you just get on with the ticket you had?

I only need 43301 to clear the XC trams for 100. That one is my lowest with 91 miles. My next is 43303 on 136 miles.

Leaky swiss muck making daft strumming noises and getting in the way ;)

Lets just say I knew a man for the 47 move...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
100 miles behind each local unit! :| You're even more desperate than I thought. :lol:

Shush you, gotta do something to pass the time :roll: :D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Wow you have been busy lately! I'm slowly getting back into Spoons scratching, having got 5 new ones in last week. I must find out if you're on my Untappd, you won't be surprised to learn I'm on there as Techniquest :lol: Getting there slowly on my distinct brews and I plan to hit 400 by the end of August. A Spoons cider festival is coming soon <D

I've decided with the busyness of life, I can't dedicate the time I'd like to posting on here full blown trip reports. I'm sure others can testify that they take a bloody age to write up so I've thought it easier to post a moves summary along with a couple of comments and hope people find it just as interesting!

Anyway, my most recent moves:

29/09/2016:
1E02 0803 2L Darlington - York 0829 1L (91132)
1A66 1703 1L York - London Kings Cross 1901 5E (180112)
xxxx 1909 xx Kings Cross St Pancras (H&C) - Paddington 1925 xx
1C96 1945 OT London Paddington - Newton Abbot 2239 OT (43022+43168)
2T30 2320 1L Newton Abbot - Paignton 2335 4E (150938)

30/09/2016:
1Z50 0430 OT Paignton - Carlisle 1427 8L (37612+37601)
2C34 1437 2L Carlisle - Dalston 1447 4L (37403)
2C33 1503 11L Dalston - Carlisle 1511 7L (153352+153360)
1Z51 1621 OT Carlisle - Fort William 2312 21E (37612+37601)

01/10/2016:
1Y42 0744 OT Fort William - Rannoch 0842 OT (156456)
1Y11 0846 OT Rannoch - Fort William 0954 1E (66739+73969)
1Z53 1325 Fort William - Mallaig 1507 2E (37612)
2Z54 1527 OT Mallaig - Arisaig 1553 OT (37601)
2Z54 1831 OT Arisaig - Mallaig 1852 OT (37612)
1Z54 1906 OT Mallaig - Fort William 2115 OT (37601)

02/10/2016:
1Z56 0927 OT Fort William - Crianlarich 1201 OT (37601+37612)
1Z56 1226 OT Crianlarich - Oban 1409 OT (37601)
1Z57 1648 OT Oban - Crianlarich 1828 OT (37612)
1Z57 1850 8E Crainlarich - Fort William 2122 18E (37601)

03/10/2016:
1Z59 1448 383L Fort William - Carlisle 2303 423L (37601+37612)
1Z60 2326 36L Carlisle - Exeter St Davids 0626 35L (37601+37612)

04/10/2016:
2U20 1337 1L Exeter St Davids - Taunton 1407 1E (150221)
1A87 1530 1E Taunton - Castle Cary 1550 1E (43042+43036)
2E26 1611 1L Castle Cary - Westbury 1638 OT (150246)
1F25 1702 OT Westbury - Romsey 1752 2L (158954)
2S55 1808 1L Romsey - Southampton Airport Parkway 1827 3L (158880)
1W28 1837 1E Southampton Airport Parkway - London Waterloo 1953 1L (444042+444017)
xxxx 2002 xx Waterloo (Northern) - Euston (Northern) 2013 xx
1N34 2100 OT London Kings Cross - Darlington 2354 1E (91126)

Two winning 37s cleared for a thousand and a half (ish). Moves worked out with 601 getting about an extra 60 miles or so. Narrowly missed out (7 miles) in becoming my highest mileage 37 in one go. That's 7 cleared for a 'thou now.
37403 also scooped on an insect leap so 3 winners in a weekend ain't bad going! Only 069 407 424 667 left from DRS now. Time might be up for the latter however so will have to see on that.

Ace weekend despite the world's most almighty farce on the last day. Doubt I'll ever get an arrival delay like that ever again!

Oop and almost forgot the 9 winner spoons cleared in Newton Abbot, Paignton (x2), Exeter (x4) and Taunton (x2) :D

In other news, the work commute continues to pile up the miles. I usually manage 7 out of the 10 single trips a week on 91s with the rest going to anything else available on vices, late running, earlier trains etc etc.
Managed to knock my requirements for 100 miles down to the following:
- 02/44 43s (XC/VTEC)
- 01/31 91s
- 16/35 142s (Heaton)
- 03/12 156s (Heaton)
- 17/51 185s
- 04/34 220s
- 06/23 221s (XC)

One 91 now perilously close to clearing for a 'thou and lots piling over 500 now (x12)

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
You still need GWR HSTs? All cleared here ;). That farce on the way back sounds brilliant to be honest. Still, it sounds like a great few days were had there. I sympathise with trip reports - I'm about 2 and a half months down on them.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That looked great. I was looking at the time you were at Exeter on Tuesday morning and wondering what you did until 1337 then I read on and saw 4 x Spoons in Exeter. Did you do all of them that day?

You still need GWR HSTs? All cleared here ;). That farce on the way back sounds brilliant to be honest. Still, it sounds like a great few days were had there. I sympathise with trip reports - I'm about 2 and a half months down on them.

I do live in the north and a trip to London isnt that common!

That looked great. I was looking at the time you were at Exeter on Tuesday morning and wondering what you did until 1337 then I read on and saw 4 x Spoons in Exeter. Did you do all of them that day?

Went to bed at 0645 and got up at 12. Smashed out the 4 spoons in exeter then toddled off :)

Just as a future point, the moves to work are far too numerous to type up all the time so I’ll leave them out unless something of note occurs!

08/10/2016:
1Y16 0754 OT Darlington – York 0827 OT (91117)
1Z89 0900 York – AV Dawson Automotive Steel Store Terminal 1035 10L (66083)
1Z89 1043 AV Dawson Automotive Steel Store Terminal – Newport East Jn 1100 OT (66115)
1Z89 1117 Newport East Jn – Tees Dock BSC Export Berth Road No.5 1151 4E (66083)
1Z89 1246 Tees Dock BSC Export Berth Road No.5 – Grangetown S.B. 1259 1E (66115)
1Z89 1304 Grangetown S.B. – Wilton C.H.B. (NR Limit) 1313 17E (66083)
1Z90 1324 Wilton C.H.B. (NR Limit) – Sunderland South Dock (Corporation Quay) 1601 16L (66115)
1Z90 1620 Sunderland South Dock (Corporation Quay) – Seaham Harbour (No.1 Road) 1740 OT (66083)
1Z91 1749 Seaham Harbour (No.1 Road) – Seaham 1807 3E (66115)
1Z91 1815 Seaham – York 1956 3L (66083)
1N31 2059 York – Darlington 2125 6L (91107)

Good day today. Waited ages for a proper north-east freight charter round my local-ish area and then two come along at once! Shame I had to miss the BLS/GBRf one but clawed back Sunderland South Dock plus four other branches. Coverage wasn’t brilliant at Wilton (can it be called coverage if you only managed half a mile of a 2.5mi line…) but the wiggle through the yard at Tees Yard was a big bonus! Two winning sheds as well. Repetitive appearances of 91126 finally meant I broke the ‘thou for a 91. Good week commuting with mileage steadily climbing!

13/10/2016:
1F71 1616 OT York – Leeds 1641 3L (185129)
2J43 1656 OT Leeds – Batley 1714 3L (144023)
2J47 1815 3L Batley – Dewsbury 1819 4L (158784)
1K25 1847 OT Dewsbury – Huddersfield 1856 4L (185143)
1E94 2148 2L Huddersfield – Darlington 2318 1L (185116)

Evening out after work looking for required spoons in the West Yorkshire area. Managed to bag the spoons’ in Batley and Dewsbury as well as both in Huddersfield. Not that I go out my way for them but Batley was a required station in that area. Also cleared 185129 and 158784 for 100mi with the 158 just sneaking over the mark. It was on 99m 57c and was cleared on a 1m 27c move! Successful evening! Few more in the pipeline for Thursday nights.

15/10/2016:
1A04 0739 1L Peterborough – Stevenage 0809 3L (91128)
1Z50 0858 1L Stevenage – Peterborough 0946 5L (66167)
1R74 1024 2L Peterborough – Nottingham 1135 1E (158854)
xxxx 1526 xx Old Market Square – Clifton South 1552 xx (NET 203)
xxxx 1554 xx Clifton South – Lace Market 1617 xx (NET 203)
xxxx 1619 xx Lace Market – Old Market Square 1621 xx (NET 228)
xxxx 1714 xx Old Market Square – Royal Centre 1715 xx (NET 221)
xxxx 1719 xx Royal Centre – Nottingham Trent University 1720 xx (NET 210)
xxxx 1725 xx Nottingham Trent University – High School 1726 xx (NET 222)
xxxx 1729 xx High School – Nottingham Rail Station 1737 xx (NET 219)
2S27 1744 OT Nottingham – Grantham 1823 2E (156473)
1A46 1915 OT Grantham – Peterborough 1934 OT (91116)
1Z49 2055 7E Peterborough – Grantham 2126 3E (57316)
1E23 2151 OT Grantham – Peterborough 2212 2L (43238+43308)

Mostly successful weekend away at a friend’s in Peterborough. The original point of the visit railway-wise was a trip to the Nene Valley Railway to scoop in any winners available. Original gen suggested 56303 from DCR and an unknown GBRf 66. When the 56 morphed into 56081 and the 66 didn’t turn up, it was a gala of dud locos and there wasn’t much point turning up! UKR were running a TnT 66 charter to Scarborough through Peterborough on the day so this necessitated a hop to Stevenage and back, thus scooping in 66167 for the book. Would have turned out for the return run on the evening but 66150 was dud from Pathfinder’s trip to Buxton and Hindlow in May 2015! The 50 minute wait was also just enough times for a dash round Stevenage to scoop the two spoons!

The next order of the day was a sortie to Nottingham for some beer related activities and a quick leap for a required spoons near the city centre. The opportunity was also taken to finally clear the network with a run to Clifton South and in between beers, 7 trams fell to the pen. Only 8 missing to clear the fleet now. Spoons at Trent Bridge in the book before heading to Grantham to scoop that spoons as well. Newark is the next obvious winner spoons for ECML station areas! Back to Peterborough for more adult beverages before a dash back to the station to pick up another railtour part fare! This time 57316 at the head of WCRC’s “Salisbury Steamer” return charter. A nice turning move for the benefit of the kettle at Salisbury meant that 57316 worked south and north and 57313 remained firmly dud on the rear for the day. Worked out well for me as this particular winner means only 3 *active* WCRC locos left to find on part fares and the like. These being 47245 47832 47851 if anyone’s interested!

No trips out during the upcoming week but a trip to Manchester on the hunt for remaining winners on heavy and light rail, an evening trip to a beer festival in Sheffield and the scope for a WCRC part fare from Loughborough all beckon! Hopefully one of those three duffs appear! Sunday is the key day with 37800 and 37884 waiting for me!

Flipping heck you have been busy! Putting me to shame with the Spoons scores and beer!

Obscenely busy month is October. I count one 4 day charter, three single day charters, two part fares, midweek bashes for spoons and a trip to Manchester!

Plus clearing my 17th 91 for 500mi this morning :)

Status
Not open for further replies.