• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

375 v 377, 465 v 365. The grass always seems greener

Status
Not open for further replies.
My regular commute is ususally by SE 465/9 or 375.

So needing to travel onward to Welwyn Garden City I was able to journey by 377 from London Bridge to St Pancras, then 365 from Kings Cross to WGC. Both are different versions of my regular rides, and I found myself coveting various aspects.

377 - much better aircon, cleaner (as newer)
365 - seemed a smoother ride, better acceleration, 2 x 2 seating, carpeted.

Maybe familiarity breeds contempt,or a change is a good as a rest (to quote two generalisms!) but does anyone have similar feelings when travelling on unfamiliar stock, especially "related" units?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fincra5

Established Member
My regular commute is ususally by SE 465/9 or 375.

So needing to travel onward to Welwyn Garden City I was able to journey by 377 from London Bridge to St Pancras, then 365 from Kings Cross to WGC. Both are different versions of my regular rides, and I found myself coveting various aspects.

377 - much better aircon, cleaner (as newer)
365 - seemed a smoother ride, better acceleration, 2 x 2 seating, carpeted.

Maybe familiarity breeds contempt,or a change is a good as a rest (to quote two generalisms!) but does anyone have similar feelings when travelling on unfamiliar stock, especially "related" units?

Yeah I went on a 365 from Kings Cross to Kings Lynn the other day. Never been on one before and I was pleasantly surprised.

Yew

Established Member
Personally I like 150's more than all other sprinters, as they are rare over in lincoln (generally one a day at varying times) JUst because I think they are better than 156's in ride quality, engine noise, and interior layout.

RobShipway

Established Member
I prefer the ride of a 450, 377, 365, 465 over the ride of a 458 which is at the moment used for the local Reading - Waterloo route which I find to be bumpy. There is an odd time, now and then that a class 450 does the route, then I find myself more relaxed because the ride is smoother.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Remember that a smooth ride is as much a factor of the line as the stock; a Pacer would probably be pretty smooth hurtling along the southern end of the ECML. 365s have a more spacious layout than 465s specifically because they were intended to do longer journeys

millemille

465's can accelerate faster than 365's, 0.88ms2 vs. 0.77ms2 peak acceleration rate.

Ride quality is largely down to track geometry and type.

Last edited:

b0b

Established Member
465's can accelerate faster than 365's, 0.88ms2 vs. 0.77ms2 peak acceleration rate.

Ride quality is largely down to track geometry and type.

Is there a full list of acceleration times for UK stock somewhere? and following on, braking times?

hmp455

IMO the Southern-spec 377s are better than the 375/Connex 377s-more pleasing interior, but the ride is nice and smooth. They have a nicer info system than the SWT trains (who is the announcer on the 375/377s etc.)

However, on a 365 my ears 'pop'-(on a trip to Showbus a few years back) whether anyone else has had this problem or not I don't know :roll: They are more comfortable though compared to 465s

The 465s are okay-Better ride and (slightly) better seats than the 455s but they are starting to show their age though (sliding inter-carriage doors slow and jerky-particularly on the BREL/ABB units) and the toilets are TINY!

The 165s felt alot faster than the 365/465s once up to speed, but my god they are noisy!!! Nice ride though-7mins from Ealing to Paddington.

Add on: Travelled on a Class 317 (related to local 455s) They had larger, more comfortable and springer seats than the 455s. The 456s are okay, even though they have had a less substantial refit than the 455s, they still were comfortable, but some of the fixtures were a little shoddy-felt the seat pad was about to fall off!

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The 165s felt alot faster than the 365/465s once up to speed,
sensation of speed versus actual speed is an odd thing. Being noisier is possibly part of it- after all, the 365s definitely go faster than any other Networker (at least, when running fast services on the Fast lines of the ECML).

Add on: Travelled on a Class 317 (related to local 455s) They had larger, more comfortable and springer seats than the 455s. [/QUOTE]
There's a few different internal variants of 317s, especially at NXEA.

millemille

Is there a full list of acceleration times for UK stock somewhere? and following on, braking times?

No idea, I happen to know the Networker figures from 15 years or so of working with them.....

causton

Established Member
sensation of speed versus actual speed is an odd thing. Being noisier is possibly part of it

Oh indeed - try being on a dual carriageway in an Enviro200 bus - I thought I was doing almost 60mph (as Uno's Citaros regularly manage on the A1(M)) and looked at the GPS and realised we were doing 27mph!

On my recent trip to York the lack of noise in EC First Class made me think we were going rather slowly - checked and it was 95mph! So yes, the sound matters a lot on perception of speed.

Oh, and I think 365s and 377s are much better than 465s and 375s :P

Status
Not open for further replies.