• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

377/6 on longer routes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
Occassionally 377/6 or /7 make it as far as say Portsmouth

They seem ideal for longer routes in my opinion

The spacious pull down tables excellent leg room and power points would make their metro usage seem a waste

Not sure how many units there are

I guess it is the fact they are 5 car that keeps them on the metro runs

Also why are they used on the southern express to brightin on saturdays only

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It is probably that they were ordered primarily to run in pairs as 10 car trains in the metro area, following a decision to only extend the relevant stations for a standard 10 car service.

Anything else they happen to be used on is then incidental. Maybe there are more available on Saturdays, because the metro area peak extras aren't running, or maybe the metro area service aren't all running at full length?

Domh245

Established Member
I suspect that on the weekends, there are more passengers doing London to Brighton than there are on metro services, so the Metro services can get away with shorter trains whilst the Brighton trains make use of the extra 2 cars.

superalbs

Established Member
Those seats are not suitable for journeys of that length.

Or any length to be honest. :lol:

physics34

Established Member
Selhurst generally provide the stock for weekend Brighton expresses. Before it was the 377/6 they used the 377/3s.

They are needed for metro 10 car service...and are virtually luxury compared to 455s!

class387

Established Member
Selhurst generally provide the stock for weekend Brighton expresses. Before it was the 377/6 they used the 377/3s.

They are needed for metro 10 car service...and are virtually luxury compared to 455s!

They are luxury even compared to 3+2 seated 377/4s!

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I've always understood their use on Brighton services at the weekend was to equalise mileage across the 377 fleet and as there is a 10-car limit on Southern services that can run DOO (which was why 9-car 377/3 formations were used previously).

Victoria to Brighton services can run DOO because Connex went through the process of getting DOO agreed when 319s were used on Brighton Express and it has continued through the 377/3 era to today.

They also have weekend turns to East Grinstead and Horsham via Gatwick (with guards).

Deepgreen

Established Member
Occassionally 377/6 or /7 make it as far as say Portsmouth

They seem ideal for longer routes in my opinion

The spacious pull down tables excellent leg room and power points would make their metro usage seem a waste

Not sure how many units there are

I guess it is the fact they are 5 car that keeps them on the metro runs

Also why are they used on the southern express to brightin on saturdays only

Thanks!

On the other hand, their first class is even worse than the 377/1-4 series such that, even when the anti-maccassars that command a premium fare are in place, most passengers simply don't believe it is really is first class and therefore sit anywhere, and their seats throughout are the 'ironing board' type, which I find horrible to sit on.

physics34

Established Member
I remember during disruption a 377/6 was sent down to.portsmouth in error and fleet were having kittens about it and wanted it back "home" as soon as poss. Not sure why it was such a huge issue. Had several occasions when old and new 377s have been coupled together with no problems

MrB

I remember during disruption a 377/6 was sent down to.portsmouth in error and fleet were having kittens about it and wanted it back "home" as soon as poss. Not sure why it was such a huge issue. Had several occasions when old and new 377s have been coupled together with no problems

Was this when the unit ended up at Portsmouth but couldn't get back due to engineering works? Or am I thinking of something else...

physics34

Established Member
Was this when the unit ended up at Portsmouth but couldn't get back due to engineering works? Or am I thinking of something else...

That may have well been it. May have been stuck down there doing shuttles on a Sunday or something!

Class455

Established Member
That was 377 620.

RichardKing

377 625 worked the following services this morning & afternoon:
2D07: Brighton to Ore;
5D07: Ore to Ore Up Siding;
5F17: Ore Up Siding to Ore;
1F17: Ore to Haywards Heath (joining with 1H17 before continuing to Victoria);
1H14: London Victoria to Littlehampton & Eastbourne (detached at Haywards Heath to form 1F18 to Eastbourne);
1F31: Eastbourne to London Victoria (with 1H31 joining at Haywards Heath)...
...from there, who knows?!

There was a problem with the two 4 car 377s, which were meant to work 2D07, in Preston Park Sidings this morning, so 377 625 was taken off of 2A12 on arrival at Brighton to replace them.

Last edited:

Class455

Established Member
377 625 worked the following services this morning & afternoon:
2D07: Brighton to Ore;
5D07: Ore to Ore Up Siding;
5F17: Ore Up Siding to Ore;
1F17: Ore to Haywards Heath (joining with 1H17 before continuing to Victoria);
1H14: London Victoria to Littlehampton & Eastbourne (detached at Haywards Heath to form 1F18 to Eastbourne);

There was a problem with the two 4 car 377s, which were meant to work 2D07, in Preston Park Sidings this morning, so 377 625 was taken off of 2A12 on arrival at Brighton to replace them.

377 625 was on Caterham-London Victoria diagrams on Wednesday, so its weird to see it put on the Ore diagrams this weekend.

RichardKing

377 625 was on Caterham-London Victoria diagrams on Wednesday, so its weird to see it put on the Ore diagrams this weekend.

It was meant to be on the Brighton runs yesterday, but was drafted in at short-notice to cover 2D07. Indeed, seeing a 377/6 on the East Coastway is very bizzare - I think it's only ever happened once before!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

CONT: It turns out that, after 1F31, it did returned to the Brighton runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.