• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

377 Joining and Splitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Is the 6' 2' manoeuvre there to make sure that the speed is at the bare minimum needed to ensure the mechanical connection?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A-driver

Established Member
Is the 6' 2' manoeuvre there to make sure that the speed is at the bare minimum needed to ensure the mechanical connection?

Pretty much, yes. Hard (though not impossible) to get enough speed up to do any real damage in 2'. Trains are always to be stopped 6' from other trains/buffers etc in accordance with the rule book (except at specific locations such as platforms 9-11 at kings x) so basically you stop at 6' to satisfy the rule book. Once ready for coupling (units shut down, couplers opened etc) you draw to 2', stop, then couple up.

455driver

Veteran Member
When the SWT drivers went to Germany to learn the 450s they were shown to stop at 6ft (okay 2metres) and to then take power and attach, the forces were um quite considerable, SWT decided that they were not going to do it that way!

glbotu

Why are Desiros faster at coupling than Electrostars? (assuming what people in this thread have said is accurate)

A-driver

Established Member
Why are Desiros faster at coupling than Electrostars? (assuming what people in this thread have said is accurate)

Different manufactures mean different equipment / software and different TOCs have different procedures for attaching. I believe SWT allow attaching before doors are released at some locations. My TOC insists doors are released to allow people off, then closed again for attachment which means it takes longer.

ashworth

Established Member
Different manufactures mean different equipment / software and different TOCs have different procedures for attaching. I believe SWT allow attaching before doors are released at some locations. My TOC insists doors are released to allow people off, then closed again for attachment which means it takes longer.

I've always been very impressed with how quickly and smoothly attachments and detachments take place by Southern at Horsham. It is usually so smooth that as a passenger you hardly realise it has happened.
On Sunday afternoon I was aboard a SWT Alton to Waterloo train which was attached to another at Woking. What a difference! I was actually quite concerned as to how rough the procedure felt and there was a considerable bump as we attached to the train in front all without any real warning as the train came into the platform before the doors were opened.

A-driver

Established Member
I've always been very impressed with how quickly and smoothly attachments and detachments take place by Southern at Horsham. It is usually so smooth that as a passenger you hardly realise it has happened.

On Sunday afternoon I was aboard a SWT Alton to Waterloo train which was attached to another at Woking. What a difference! I was actually quite concerned as to how rough the procedure felt and there was a considerable bump as we attached to the train in front all without any real warning as the train came into the platform before the doors were opened.

I assume the SWT was 455s? 377s can be kissed together as the coupling mechanism dosnt need much force. Older units with systems like tight lock couplers (southern 455s certainly use them and I assume SWT 455s do to?) need a lot of force to ensure both locks engage. Kiss tight locks together and you'll be there all day trying to get it to lock. If you are on a curve (like attaching units at kings x play 9-11) you need even more force. If you havnt physically moved the other 313 then you won't be coupled properly!

455driver

Veteran Member
The Desiros are horrible to couple up because of the delay in taking power and anything happening, get it right and it is as smooth as silk, get it wrong and oh dear!

ashworth

Established Member
I assume the SWT was 455s? 377s can be kissed together as the coupling mechanism dosnt need much force. Older units with systems like tight lock couplers (southern 455s certainly use them and I assume SWT 455s do to?) need a lot of force to ensure both locks engage. Kiss tight locks together and you'll be there all day trying to get it to lock. If you are on a curve (like attaching units at kings x play 9-11) you need even more force. If you havnt physically moved the other 313 then you won't be coupled properly!

Not a 455, it was a 450.

FordFocus

Sometimes I think trains would be better off without a TMS listening to some of these.

We stop 6ft, 2ft but in addition we have to check the couplers are in line, no signs of damage. Few drivers have been pulled up over this.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
You're not allowed to couple two 455's together with passengers on, unless of course it's an emergency, after a couple of mishaps!

SpacePhoenix

Established Member

Desiros shut the intermediate cabs down once the computers have detected a successful coupling. Other units a pull-away test has to be done to ensure that the mechanical connection was successful then they have to press the couple button to connect the electrical blocks.

When the computers of a Desiro detect a successful mechanical connection, do they automatically connect the electrical block or does the driver still have to press a couple button?

Last edited:

RichardN

Doesn't the guard open the doors on 377s between Dorking and Horsham? Is this unique on the Southern network?

455driver

Veteran Member
Desiros shut the intermediate cabs down once the computers have detected a successful coupling. Other units a pull-away test has to be done to ensure that the mechanical connection was successful then they have to press the couple button to connect the electrical blocks.

When the computers of a Desiro detect a successful mechanical connection, do they automatically connect the electrical block or does the driver still have to press a couple button?
The driver just bangs them together, the computers check everything and the cab shuts down except for the TMS screen which, once it detects how many coaches there are, the driver acknowledges the configuration and then it shuts down as well.

Last edited:

A-driver

Established Member
Doesn't the guard open the doors on 377s between Dorking and Horsham? Is this unique on the Southern network?

No. Only drivers can open doors on any 377. The guard closes them south of dorking.

tsr

Established Member

As A-driver has said, no. There are no controls enabled by which a guard could open the doors on any 377. If you look at a guard's panel they only have a bell, "Door Close" button, and (depending on the side of the train) either an internal CCTV monitor or a "Dim Lights" button. Cab controls are even more limited.

455s are also operated on this route and this is the electric stock on which guards open doors, and this is almost unique for Southern's 3rd rail routes. The 0042 Ldn Victoria-East Croydon service on certain days, and the occasional peak time services to and from Guildford, are the additions.

Standard door opening and dispatch procedure is followed at all stations between Dorking and Horsham. Guards on this route also sign the route North to Epsom and either via Mitcham Junction, West Croydon or both, in order to dispatch should DOO equipment fail (amongst other reasons).

Status
Not open for further replies.