• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

377 Subclasses - out of curiosity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robinson

Recently, I have caught the 2032 from London Victoria (Southampton Central + Bognor Regis) on a number of occasions, and every time the train has been a 377/4 (or at least the Southampton portion has anyway). Just got me thinking, do Southern regularly book the same subclasses to appear on the same workings or has that been sheer coincidence?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Every train has 'booked traction' to aid with maintenance schedules (and reservations where applicable) and keeping to the timetable. Sometimes it is not possible to have that unit type on the service (particularly in the north where there is a mix of unit types), it does explain why you see the same type of unit though.

12CSVT

Established Member
There are differences between the subclasses - ie 377/2 are dual voltage (for Croydon - Milton Keynes services), 377/3 are three car.

Although the 377/1s and 377/4s are generally similar, the 377/4s have a different seating layout from 377/1s.

MCR247

Established Member
Not all do. Some /1s are the same as /4s. I believe the /1s can be split into 3 types? Some 2+2 throughout, the same as 3s, some 3+2 throughout?, and some the same as /4s

Established Member
All the /1s and all the /4s are diagrammed as a common fleet, so the only seperate diagrams are for /2s and /3s.

Since December that has applied - it was deemed too difficult to get the units with certain seat layouts onto the most suitable services.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
We used to only get /1s, perhaps with the occasional /2, down to East Grinstead. Since about December we've been seeing lots of /3s and /4s as well. You only notice the difference if you're looking for it, of course.

TEW

Established Member
They used to be split as Brighton and Selhurst allocated units. Brighton had the /4s and the early /1s, the units with all 2+2 seating. Selhurst had the remainder of the /1s. Those two fleets were diagrammed separately, Selhurst units mainly on the inner and outer suburban services with Brighton units mainly on long distance services. Now as has been mentioned above all units except the /2s and /3s are in a common pool.

NSE

Established Member
I've seen /4's down on the Caterham services peak and off peak. I'm also fairly certain that most /2's are shunted into the 'metro' pool quite often as there are 15 /2's with 3 at FCC, and I believe only 4 needed for Milton Keynes services, that leaves 8 (over half the fleet) for the rest of Southern to use.

Robinson

Aye, I did manage to get a 377/2 once on a Victoria-Sutton via Streatham Hill service once, and on another occasion on a London Bridge-Caterham train in the evening. I presumed that such workings were not in a common pool with the Mainline routes though...

TEW

Established Member
The 377/2s have separate diagrams, including quite a few which don't use AC power at all. The ones which don't need the dual-voltage capability do turn up with other 377s and likewise /2s turn up on other diagrams.

Class377/5

Established Member
The daily needs for the 377/2 for the Milton Keynes is five units. With three away at FCC, that leaves 7 with a few with AC faults. There used to be a diagram for a 377/2 to go around the Wimbledon loop but believe its more a 377/3 now. As they are all based at Selhurst the spare units tend to run on Metro services as stated above.

TEW

Established Member
Just had a quick look at the 377/2 diagrams. SU401-SU404 are the diagrams which involve AC running, although SU401 spends until about 08:00 on Metro services. SU405-SU412 are the other Class 377/2 diagrams, ones which don't involve AC running, so any type of 377 could substitute. They are all diagrams which start and finish at Selhurst and mainly they are on Metro rather than long distance workings.

paul1609

Established Member
Just had a quick look at the 377/2 diagrams. SU401-SU404 are the diagrams which involve AC running, although SU401 spends until about 08:00 on Metro services. SU405-SU412 are the other Class 377/2 diagrams, ones which don't involve AC running, so any type of 377 could substitute. They are all diagrams which start and finish at Selhurst and mainly they are on Metro rather than long distance workings.

377/2 at one time had different software and issues with SDO particularly when in multiple with other sub classes. Not sure if that was resolved.

Class377/5

Established Member
377/2 at one time had different software and issues with SDO particularly when in multiple with other sub classes. Not sure if that was resolved.

Has been resolved. All 377's now run off a single software including FCC's 377/5's as well.

D365

Veteran Member
That software (bloatware) is Windows 98, I believe?

Indeed, and it has just been the point of discussion in another thread (forgive me if I don't link, not great at doing all this forum stuff!)

Southern

377/3's seem to be appearing on Metro routes quite a bit at weekends now, one of the Tattenham diagrams of a Sunday is now booked for one. There is also a Saturday diagram to East Grinstead in the evening that see's a pair team up with a 4 - car 377 and I think pairs of 377/3 may now work that line on a Sunday. Good thing too as the service is only hourly of a Sunday and a 4 car always seemed to struggle with the crowds.

Status
Not open for further replies.